Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 148065 times)

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #2375 on: December 04, 2018, 01:29:43 pm »
a brilliant in-joke too :)

You mean 'reverse the polarity'? Yes, that made me smile.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2376 on: December 04, 2018, 01:41:08 pm »
And here I was trying not to do spoilers :)

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #2377 on: December 04, 2018, 02:31:20 pm »
At least 8/10  :thumbsup: Some very clever little touches; I have high hopes for the new writer...
<googles> ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_McTighe

Well I didn't expect this:
"
In 2012, it was announced McTighe would be writing a reimagining of Prisoner Cell Block H called Wentworth.[8]
???

But I did like this:
The BBC press release quoted him as saying, "My entire television career has quite literally been an elaborate plan to get to write Doctor Who – and no one is more shocked than me that it paid off. I've been having the time of my life working with Chris, and writing for Jodie and the new team, and can't wait for everyone to see what we've been up to

If I was going to be uber-picky, I'd point out that both Electric Dreams AND the X-files did the amazon spoof idea first. Clearly it's fertile ground!

Slow to pick up on this but the bold section reminded me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HdmNVXAiLc
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #2378 on: December 05, 2018, 08:10:59 am »

I didn’t think that was a spoiler, since it’s incidental to the plot, but sorry if anyone’s enjoyment is ruined by my indiscretion.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2379 on: December 05, 2018, 08:49:51 am »

I didn’t think that was a spoiler, since it’s incidental to the plot, but sorry if anyone’s enjoyment is ruined by my indiscretion.
For me, it's not a proper Who episode if nobody r******s any p******ies.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2380 on: December 07, 2018, 07:58:56 am »
I see that the Independent has been getting in with a discussion of "Political Correctness" regarding this series.

Political Correctness being used in this sort of context, does strike me as being somewhat lazy writing, and Clarkson has apparently used it, so that's another reason to disagree with it being appropriate. :D

I'm not upset with the placement of episodes within these sort of historical contexts, or having characters who are less "middle aged white men" than have generally appeared, I just have an issue with the writers laying it on quite so thick.  It's not particularly subtle.
Actually, it is rocket science.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2381 on: December 07, 2018, 10:56:56 am »
Subtle?

Well it is primarily a kid's show. How old are you TimO??

Many kids will not be particularly familiar with discussions about gender equality (, or the history of Pakistan, or the Rosa Parks story) which to some of us seem like old well-trod topics.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #2382 on: December 07, 2018, 11:21:56 am »
I don't think anyone needs to take much notice of the views on Doctor Who of a white, middle class, middle aged man. (I say this as a white, middle class, middle aged man myself.)

"Political correctness" is a classic dog whistle phrase. Perhaps the archetypal dog whistle phrase.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2383 on: December 09, 2018, 11:38:51 pm »
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

On top of waiting until next year for the final of this season we also have to wait until 2020 before the next season, why are you doing this to us !!!

shakes fist in the general direction of BBC HQ

spesh

• Trump-Russia posting ninja
« Reply #2384 on: December 10, 2018, 12:03:16 am »
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

On top of waiting until next year for the final of this season we also have to wait until 2020 before the next season, why are you doing this to us !!!

shakes fist in the general direction of BBC HQ

Could be worse...

You could be one of those who's waiting for George R.R. Martin to finish writing the final volumes of A Song of Ice and Fire before the heat death of the universe...  :demon: ::-)
If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

It's not the despair... I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2385 on: December 25, 2018, 12:12:59 am »
Since it isn't crimbo without we got https://youtu.be/UE840lgu4Ew

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2386 on: January 02, 2019, 09:36:23 pm »
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #2387 on: January 05, 2019, 01:45:34 pm »
(click to show/hide)
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #2388 on: January 05, 2019, 02:45:47 pm »
Loved the plot

But ....

(click to show/hide)