Author Topic: Auld Alliance - 400km Fri 26/04/19  (Read 1914 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small just Far Away at the back
Re: Auld Alliance - 400km Fri 26/04/19
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2019, 06:51:10 pm »
What's the bike storage situation while in Monty's at the end?
Attached to a lammy with best lock you can carry?

Affects various aspects of my planning!

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2019, 08:36:04 pm »
What's the bike storage situation while in Monty's at the end?
Attached to a lammy with best lock you can carry?

Affects various aspects of my planning!

Probably best.  If I were riding and planned to enjoy a refreshment post event Id bring a HBFO lock and leave it on a convenient set of railings nr Haymarket Station and collect at the finish. 

Folk left bikes locked outside Montys after the WH 1000 without any issues. 

The pub has a small enclosed beer garden at the side and it might be possible to pop a bike in there but the area might be in use especially if the weather is good enough for al fresco drinking. 

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2019, 12:06:37 pm »
I have just signed up for this having  rejoined AUK after a 3 year sabbatical.    I have completed a couple of DIY 200’s this year and a lot of training Km’s ......this will be my first 400.   It’s relatively local to me and I am familiar with various parts of the route, so I hope I am not too late to join you guys as It seems an ideal event for my first 400.   Looking forward to it :-)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2019, 06:12:24 pm »
I'll be coming off a plane in ABZ after 2 weeks in Cairo, and travelling directly down to Edinburgh.

Looking forward to it.

Spent a short while fettling the Garmin with tracks, waypoints and routes yesterday evening in the hotel.

From the GPS track, it looks like the start is at the Haymarket Yards, down the wee side street where the tram tracks go, just beside the station.
Same place as the 1000k last year.

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2019, 11:17:55 pm »
final update sent 2 mins ago to everybody Im expecting on the start line.....

Hi everybody.  Not long to go now.  Final update - apologies for leaving this so late but Ive been away for Easter and Im just back.  Please read on.......

THE START

Will be at the car park of HMRCs Elgin House on Haymarket Yards.  This is just round the corner from Haymarket Railway Station (follow the tram lines west i.e. away from the city centre).  If its wet I'm hoping we can use their covered bike shed. 

INTERMEDIATE CONTROLS

These will either be

- an information control where you answer a question on your brevet card

- a control where you should get your card stamped.  Dunblane is the only control like this on this event.  There will be food and drinks here - if you have any special dietary requirements let me know (but safely assume everything will be vegetarian).   

- a control where you should obtain a receipt showing place and time.  If that's not possible (faster riders at Comrie possibly?), take a selfie that identifies where you are. 

FINISH CONTROL

Will be in Monty's Bar Morrison Street just up from Haymarket Station.  Its next door to the prominent Leonardo Hotel.  There will be grub and a drink here as part of your entry fee.  If you plan to leave your bike, I suggest bringing a lock with you.  You can leave this at the start. 

If you cant be bothered with the one way system and tram lines in the final 1km simply dismount when you reach the traffic lights at Haymarket Railway Station and walk up Morrison Street on the pavement (its one way against you).

THROUGH THE NIGHT

After Dunblane most riders wont find anything open till McDonalds in Forfar almost 100km further on.  Take something for your back pocket just in case.  Full value riders might catch the Scotmid in Coupar Angus (opens 0530) or the Spar in Meigle (opens 0600). 

If you're really struggling when you get to Perth (114.9 km) take a left up to Broxden Services about 1km up the road. This has a 24 hr McDonalds.     

LUGGAGE

You can leave a bag with me at the start and collect it at the finish. 

ROUTE INFO

An Old Skool route sheet is attached and is also available on the calendar page  http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-435/ 

GPS tracks are attached - I've split these in two as the event features some retrace. There are both standard and 500 point versions.   If you are looking for something else, try the routes online they are

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28630702 and
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28630773

The route is advisory - you're free to choose any route between controls and the event has no secret controls. 

One exception - please do not be tempted to use the A9 between Dunblane and Braco as its a motorway in all but name and saves only around 400m anyway. 

BIKE SHOPS

There might be others but there is at least the following -

There's one in FORFAR town centre around 216km

You'll pass a Halfords in PERTH around 265km

There's a bike shop just before the RAB in Causewayhead at 340km.   

AND FINALLY......

Culross is pronounced "Coo russ". 

Seeyizaw Friday.