Author Topic: Local knowledge requested: Newark on Trent  (Read 1880 times)

Local knowledge requested: Newark on Trent
« on: 28 January, 2017, 08:59:28 pm »
If one were to be approaching Newark from the North riding on the A1133 at around 01:00am - 02:00am (and heading for the McDonalds near the Premier Inn) which is the best way to cross the A1?  By joining the A46, or by going via Winthorpe and using the shared path underneath the A1 and via Bridge House Farm?

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
Re: Local knowledge requested: Newark on Trent
« Reply #1 on: 28 January, 2017, 09:40:35 pm »
Also interested, it's on our Arrow Route - Northbound obviously. Id the MacD's a guaranteed all nighter?
Ta

« Reply #2 on: 28 January, 2017, 11:35:00 pm »
I would take the Winthorpe Road option: -   https://goo.gl/maps/bb21FXBhS6z  You go under the A1 and A46.

It's shorter and straightforward and you avoid some dodgy roundabouts on major roads.

According to streetview and the McD website, it is open 24 hours.

« Reply #3 on: 29 January, 2017, 01:30:08 am »
Newark local here. At that time of night there is very little traffic on the A46. The roundabout is big but only has a couple of exits so it looks worse than it is, and the whole section is street lit. The Winthorpe route has a couple of bits where you have to dismount because of the anti-motorbike railings (under the A1 bridge) and that area can collect quite a lot of broken glass on the cycle routes (especially under the A46).

During the day I'd definitely use the cycle route as the traffic is pretty bad, but at that time that stretch of the A46 is a reasonable option.

McDonalds is 24 hours and there is also a 24 hour garage on the A46 just before the roundabouts.

« Reply #4 on: 29 January, 2017, 11:58:49 am »
I'd endorse baldcyclist view. The roads at that time are very quiet. The paths through the underpasses are often covered in broken glass bottles , I've fequently had to carry my bike through there, not just in the underpasses but on the surrounding paths.  Its easier to spot the glass in the day than in the dark.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #5 on: 29 January, 2017, 01:44:46 pm »
When I was doing a plan for the Arrow I phoned McDs at Newark and they confirmed 24h sitting inside. I have been caught out before as some that use the 24H sign only have drive through available.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #6 on: 29 January, 2017, 01:55:19 pm »
That's useful BB, I've been caught out the same.  There's one in Derby where the sign says restaurant and drive through 24hr, but it isn't.

« Reply #7 on: 29 January, 2017, 02:34:08 pm »
Splendid - thank you to the contributors.