Author Topic: Yorkshire Gallop - 8-Mar-2014  (Read 5601 times)

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
Re: Yorkshire Gallop - 8-Mar-2014
« Reply #25 on: 07 March, 2014, 11:40:17 pm »
Bike troubles mean a DNS for me  :(

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #26 on: 08 March, 2014, 08:55:55 am »
Work troubles led to DNS for me. I wrote to Nigel to let him know in advance. Really disappointed, was looking forward to this a lot.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

Ruth

« Reply #27 on: 08 March, 2014, 09:02:49 am »
Aw :(  Come see us all off anyway?

« Reply #28 on: 08 March, 2014, 09:08:59 am »
Work troubles led to DNS for me. I wrote to Nigel to let him know in advance. Really disappointed, was looking forward to this a lot.

Me too! Obviously it was never going to work out with going to a gig in Wakefield tonight, but even my plan B of riding with everyone down to York went out the window when I got to Stapleton and realised I'd forgotten my wallet..

Ah well - good job I don't need the miles that badly.

« Reply #29 on: 08 March, 2014, 05:12:41 pm »
Despite the wind, a lovely day out for the 100.  Only 12 pieces of orange cardboard required.

Matt

Bairn Again

« Reply #30 on: 08 March, 2014, 08:49:28 pm »
EnjoYable but tricky 200.  Difficult to Milton, very hard to York then the easy bit was with jelly legs.  I was happy to finish in 9h 50m for what my gps said was 212k.  Ride out and back to Darlo meant a 150 mile day.  Now enjoying BEER on train north to Edinburgh.

« Reply #31 on: 08 March, 2014, 09:40:32 pm »
Really enjoyed my first Audax, did the 100k.The wind made the ride to Ripon hard work but the ride back was great fun Hope the guy who was hurt in the crash from the Darlington club was ok.

« Reply #32 on: 09 March, 2014, 11:26:29 am »
Did the 200, it was tough for the first 120k with the gusty headwind most of the way.  I also had the jelly legs on the way back, especially up the Alp d'Middleton Tyas.  Got round in my usual lanterne rouge position.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #33 on: 10 March, 2014, 08:03:53 am »
First big Audax for me, really enjoyed it. Loved the route as well.

Wind was a pain for 75 miles, then turning around from york it was pleasant. Sun came out.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/457660916

Signed up for the audax for a year, going to get some good long rides under my belt.
Sunderland Clarion Cycling Club

Ruth

« Reply #34 on: 11 March, 2014, 06:15:11 pm »
Signed up for the 100km Canter.  Longest ride in a couple of years for me.  Definitely a ride of two halves.  The first half:  Flat, headwind, dark, grey, cold.  Got dropped by one of my ride buddies.  Cried a bit.  Nearly bailed.

That mcshroom did his 'talking commonsense' thing and talked me into riding on, and I'm so glad he did.  We hit Ripon (last) and the sun came out, and it was like a different day from that point on.  We got chatting to a couple of other people on the ride, and admired their nice bikes (a Flying Gate and a Bianchi), said hi to Nigel.  We considered riding back the way we'd come, as it was slightly shorter and flatter.  I'm not sure why we followed the route proper, but it rewarded us with sunshine and beautiful views, and it certainly felt harder but we got some of that evening sunshine stuff, and just like last week we chased the daylight and made it back in time.

The hedgerows were just beginning to show green on the twig-tips, and the winter wheat was looking fresh - amazing what a difference a couple of days' sunshine makes. It felt like the start of spring, riding a bike was a good way to see it.

I didn't walk any lumpy bits, and I'm pleased about that, because the return route was Audax-flat, but not flat-flat.  This is my patch now, but thanks to last year's When I'm 64 and LEL mcshroom could navigate the roads better than I can, and found a slightly less steep route through Middleton Tyas.  It still felt challenging on tired unfit legs.

It was good to say hi to a few familiar faces too.  Only a flat slow 100km ride, which to most here is chickenfeed, but for me something of an achievement.  Wouldn't have got round without mcshroom though.

« Reply #35 on: 11 March, 2014, 08:50:56 pm »
Well done, to both of you!

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
« Reply #36 on: 12 March, 2014, 07:44:48 am »
Well done, to both of you!

+1

A 100km Audax under your belt - fantastic.
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

« Reply #37 on: 12 March, 2014, 02:02:19 pm »
Signed up for the 100km Canter.  Longest ride in a couple of years for me.  Definitely a ride of two halves.  The first half:  Flat, headwind, dark, grey, cold.  Got dropped by one of my ride buddies.  Cried a bit.  Nearly bailed.

But you didn't bail, which is the important thing. What's next on the list? We are too late to sign up for Fountain's Monkey Business and I suspect that the Kilhope Grimpeur may be a little too challenging at the moment, but how about the Wiggy 100 on 10th May, followed by the Northern Dales on 24th May? The sun will be shining - you'll have a few more miles in your legs by then. What can go wrong?

Bairn Again

« Reply #38 on: 13 March, 2014, 11:52:50 am »

It was good to say hi to a few familiar faces too.  Only a flat slow 100km ride, which to most here is chickenfeed, but for me something of an achievement.  Wouldn't have got round without mcshroom though.

Yes, another "well done" here from a rider who did the 200k.  I think I caught up with you guys at the TLs at Catterick - I chatted a wee bit with mcshroom (who Id recognised from riding one of my events) before pressing on. 

I'd ridden the vast majority of the 200k event solo and was just coming out of a low patch so seeing you both was a morale booster for me too, it made me believe I was nearing the finish.     

Ruth

« Reply #39 on: 14 March, 2014, 12:49:57 pm »

Yes, another "well done" here from a rider who did the 200k.  I think I caught up with you guys at the TLs at Catterick - I chatted a wee bit with mcshroom (who Id recognised from riding one of my events) before pressing on. 

I'd ridden the vast majority of the 200k event solo and was just coming out of a low patch so seeing you both was a morale booster for me too, it made me believe I was nearing the finish.     

Yes, that was us, good to see you too   :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #40 on: 14 March, 2014, 07:34:18 pm »

Only a flat slow 100km ride, which to most here is chickenfeed, but for me something of an achievement.  Wouldn't have got round without mcshroom though.

You under-estimate yourself.

I for one reckon 100km is most certainly NOT chickenfeed.
At least you had the gumption to sign up & go for it.
I'm still equivocating about doing Marmitegeoff's  100km Essex Bridge 'cause I'm not sure my body can cash the cheque's that my mind writes.
It is true,as I have in the past proved to myself,that the right company can make all the difference.As you say mcshroom qualifies as such as I too know from personal experience.
I would also sign up for a 100km ride in your company if/when circumstances permit.

Ruth

« Reply #41 on: 14 March, 2014, 09:11:43 pm »
Yeah, it's been an awfully long time jogler  :(

You might not like me these days, I'm really not the same person!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #42 on: 14 March, 2014, 10:21:34 pm »
I'd risk it  :-*

Ruth

« Reply #43 on: 14 March, 2014, 10:39:43 pm »
I'd risk it  :-*

Ah, you're so sweet.  But you'd probly be best finding a real cyclist to ride with.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #44 on: 14 March, 2014, 10:43:29 pm »
I've shared the road with you before so I know you're real ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #45 on: 14 March, 2014, 11:49:35 pm »
I'm still equivocating about doing Marmitegeoff's  100km Essex Bridge 'cause I'm not sure my body can cash the cheque's that my mind writes.

C'mon.  We'll be reet.  And slow if my current performance is anything to go by.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #46 on: 15 March, 2014, 12:19:14 am »

C'mon.  We'll be reet.  And slow if my current performance is anything to go by.

Are you not doing a FVM 200km trudge with mcshroom?

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #47 on: 23 March, 2017, 06:08:49 pm »
I was due to ride this year's edition this coming Saturday (25th), but now I'm not doing. I have a non-refundable room reserved at the nearby Scotch Corner Travelodge for tomorrow night (Friday 24th - about 5-miles away from the start by bike/car). If anybody wants the room I'll sell it at half-price for £12 (it cost £24). pm me if interested. First come - first served!

I've informed the organiser I'll be DNS!

Andy Corless

« Reply #48 on: 26 March, 2017, 08:44:20 am »
Sorry I missed this year's event.  It was my retirement do on Friday so a late night and lots of beer - not the ideal preparation for a 200k.  Such a lovely day as well so I did a little ride around the lanes later in the day (once I'd struggled out of bed).
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #49 on: 16 April, 2017, 01:18:37 pm »
I rode this event with mcshroom.  One of the best days ever on a bike, the weather was pretty much perfect, and I'd ridden most of the roads before.  Although not on the same day!  I'm quite proud of just completing 200km in a day, especially in March.  Unfortunately we were just out of time at the finish, due to faffing and a bridge closure.  I think we were just about ten minutes over, which we could have made up if we'd ridden the short way home via the flood, or if I'd had anything left in my legs after Middleton Tyas.  But I was knackered and we crawled into the Arrivee when we did, and that's okay, because I'm still quite proud of myself.  In total we did about 220km.  We are awesome.
Milk please, no sugar.