Author Topic: Chainset upgrade  (Read 1471 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Chainset upgrade
« on: 24 October, 2017, 11:56:58 am »
Thinking of changing the chainset on my old Edinburgh Co-Op hybrid. The original chainset fell to pieces some years ago and I replaced it with basically the cheapest triple chainset I could find at the time. No idea what it is (Altus, perhaps?). It's nasty though, I've never been able to get it shifting smoothly and the chainrings are too small for my needs. Can't recall what was originally fitted but it was fine for both size and shifting performance.

Two options:
1. Swap it for a single chainring and lose the front mech & shifter.
2. Swap it for the Tiagra triple chainset I have in the spares box. Question is, will it be compatible?

The Tiagra chainset is an original FC-4403, 52-42-30 chainrings, square taper (as is currently fitted model). Not sure what the shifters are but they're marked CI-Deck. Will the cable pull be correct?

Front mech is a no-name band-on top-pull item, no idea what it is. Rear mech is Shimano Tourney. I'm guessing there may be some compatibility issues there. What would be a good front mech to use with the Tiagra chainset, bearing in mind it needs to be top-pull?

(Tbh, I'm leaning towards the single chainring option just to make life simpler for myself.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Chainset upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 24 October, 2017, 02:37:51 pm »
Clearance for big rings might be an issue. From the sound of it your original may have been a 28/38/48 on a 122 BB. Tiagra might foul the frame.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

citoyen

« Reply #2 on: 24 October, 2017, 03:17:22 pm »
Hmmmm. I hadn't considered that but it's a good point. Thanks!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3 on: 24 October, 2017, 03:40:48 pm »
The old Tourney TY51 (or its superseded equivalent) will work across a generic 28/38/48 triple and may be persuaded to work with the Tiagra, provided the rings clear the frame and the distance between the rings is the same. Someone with too much time on his hands and a micrometer will be along soon, no doubt . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #4 on: 24 October, 2017, 05:24:18 pm »
Option 1
Pen Pusher

Samuel D

« Reply #5 on: 24 October, 2017, 08:17:35 pm »
Not sure what the shifters are but they're marked CI-Deck.

If you roll the rubber hoods back a bit you will see a model number.

citoyen

« Reply #6 on: 24 October, 2017, 08:30:35 pm »
Not sure what the shifters are but they're marked CI-Deck.

If you roll the rubber hoods back a bit you will see a model number.

No rubber hoods, just a hard plastic case - these are V-brake units. I reckon they're most likely Tourney.

dim

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #8 on: 24 October, 2017, 09:58:05 pm »

the shifters will  be marked underneath with a model number. The FD will be similarly marked.  Really need to know what models of ST and FD you have, what diameter seat tube (external), what width BB shell, whether FD bottom or top swing, whether the FD will work if it is the alternate sort (eg without a bottle cage boss clash, and a few other things in order to advise you properly.

But it is odds-on that the FD will be a MTB-pull type front mech and being able to find one of these that will work with a tiagra chainset isn't a done deal; the chainline and the ring size will be different. Also fitting a 'road' chainset to a hybrid at all sometimes creates a clash between the chainrings and the chainstay, or the BB shell is too long.

A photo of the chainstay clearance to the chainrings would be helpful.

cheers

Samuel D

« Reply #9 on: 24 October, 2017, 10:15:30 pm »
No rubber hoods, just a hard plastic case - these are V-brake units.

Whoops! Please ignore me.

« Reply #10 on: 25 October, 2017, 07:11:03 am »
Spa Cycles carries a wide range of choices.  The upgraded rings are more durable than the lower-priced ones. 

Several Years Ago I purchased their basic triple, 28-38-48, and also a 24 and 38 & 48 in the better metal; sold the 28 and original 38 & 48 off to subsidize the upgrade.  Came out cheaper somehow.

These are the Sugino cranks, without the Sugino "crown" label.