Author Topic: Anyone have experience of Rourke Cycles frame building?  (Read 6550 times)

Re: Anyone have experience of Rourke Cycles frame building?
« Reply #50 on: 29 May, 2018, 03:18:55 pm »
no

« Reply #51 on: 29 May, 2018, 03:35:21 pm »
could be why I find myself mostly riding round in circles....

cheers

Great circles?

« Reply #52 on: 01 June, 2018, 08:47:02 am »
I've an old Deda Sat Rourke, an immensely enjoyable springy delight of a ride,with coke can walls, had it resprayed a few times up there too. Brian is wonderful, Jason is always in the workshop ( not at the shop site) a great local cottage industry. The fitting area is festooned memorabilia with riders assisted ( with frames) by Rourke, like Nicole Cooke, guts and hard work, before BC got the impressionable new flock out of schools and all on gear.

This bike I regard like a bronze age sword, crafted by magic and treasured for long life, many deeds and imbued with its own spirit. My carbon bikes are just functional disposables in comparison. Not every ones view point, but mine.
look down from t' hills across a land traversed..having known at least a route through, and written it in body and ascribed the mind to its ways

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #53 on: 01 June, 2018, 10:22:38 am »
Friend of mine has a Rourke with mud guards, stainless steel with carbon fork, says it rides better than his Cannondale synapse. His bike of choice for almost all occasions. He changed the wheels recently and said the new hoops made more difference than frame material.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #54 on: 01 June, 2018, 11:32:53 am »
20psi of tyre pressure can be all it takes.

Then there's tyre choice.

Then there is rider setup.

Which is why it is really hard to trust what other people say about bikes

« Reply #55 on: 01 June, 2018, 01:47:00 pm »
20psi of tyre pressure can be all it takes.

Then there's tyre choice.

Then there is rider setup.

Which is why it is really hard to trust what other people say about bikes

Indeed, this is all true. Thinking things through, though, I think I want to go for a more traditional lugged-steel build, with thread headset/quill stem and various silver alloy Campagnolo 10-speed components from the mid-2000s (most of which I already have now), so I've now booked a fitting appointment with Mercian Cycles for next week, as think they will be more sympathetic to this kind of build (also lots of experience with older Campagnolo kit).
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

Samuel D

« Reply #56 on: 01 June, 2018, 03:22:05 pm »
If you go for custom steel, I’d be interested to hear about your ordering experience in as much detail as you can be bothered to report.

« Reply #57 on: 01 June, 2018, 04:34:14 pm »
If you go for custom steel, I’d be interested to hear about your ordering experience in as much detail as you can be bothered to report.

I'll try! It's sort of a present to my self, as next year (which is when I expect the bike to be ready) I will a) be 50 and b) not have owned a car for 10 years
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway