Author Topic: The best weekend of your life.  (Read 1837 times)

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
The best weekend of your life.
« on: 06 December, 2008, 08:53:47 pm »
When was it? 

What made it good?

Re: The best weekend of your life.
« Reply #1 on: 06 December, 2008, 09:01:45 pm »
You go first  :)

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #2 on: 06 December, 2008, 09:25:03 pm »
Reading Festival 1990 - got to see some  brilliant bands inc. Faith No More, Ride, Inspiral Carpets, Wedding Present, Mudhoney, Living Colour, The Pixies, Jesus Jones, Tackhead, Mega City Four (RIP Wiz), Psychic TV and Furniture.  This was the first full weekend music festival I had ever attended, and absolutely loved it.  I also got to say hello to Bobby Gillespie from Primal Scream on the way to the festival when we bumped into him at the train station.

Loved it  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #3 on: 07 December, 2008, 02:01:07 am »
Weekend of the Boat Race, in West London, 1981.

Decided that getting together with the current Mrs nicknack would be a Good Idea.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 07 December, 2008, 09:32:00 am »
Ain't happened yet.  Everything to live for!  But plenty of the ones with booze, parties, good friends, then retiring for hangover sex the next day before fettling bikes over tea were good. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 07 December, 2008, 10:02:57 am »
Hard to say. I would have to divide it up into different categories. Of those I'm prepared to make public, the weekend in which Temple Sutton School won their first ever National Title (1992) was very special. We won the under 11s, another Essex school (St. Teresa's, Colchester) won the under-9s. Because of the cost, the only adults to travel with our team were the head, the parents of one of the girls in the team (our team was most unusual in that it was 50% girls - most are 0% girls) and me (my daughter was on Board 2). I was on good terms with the St. Teresa's parents as well, which made it one great party (the venue was Pontins, Brean Sands) and all the private schools really had their noses put out of joint when two state schools with scruffy children (ours didn't wear uniform, have specially made sweatshirts or anything like that) took the prizes. Normally the posh kids get to clean up.

Possibly the best match was beating Ipswich Prep 4 - 1. They were coached by a certain Kevin O'Connell, who was Something Big in the World Chess Federation, and had England u11 players on boards 1 & 2, and possibly 3 as well. Indeed, one of these, Nicholas Pert, went on to win the World u18 Championship six years later.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Chris S

« Reply #6 on: 07 December, 2008, 10:29:41 am »
Hmm... tricky.

There have been just short of 2,500 weekends in my life so far. This a going to be a tough decision.

Ooh.. no it's not - those "48 hours of shagging" weekends when I was 18 have always been pretty hard to beat  :thumbsup:.

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #7 on: 07 December, 2008, 10:35:20 am »
Hmm... tricky.

There have been just short of 2,500 weekends in my life so far. This a going to be a tough decision.

Ooh.. no it's not - those "48 hours of shagging" weekends when I was 18 have always been pretty hard to beat  :thumbsup:.

;D

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 07 December, 2008, 12:20:39 pm »
Mine is so mindblowingly shallow that I'm not even going to mention it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 07 December, 2008, 12:44:10 pm »
Mine is so mindblowingly shallow that I'm not even going to mention it.

But you just have so you might as well come clean with the details.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #10 on: 07 December, 2008, 02:28:53 pm »
I can't think of one, I have looked back over the last 58 years and I can't recall a great weekend, I suppose it would be the weekend I got married, but now divorced I look back and can only see hate in those few years, so maybe my "great weekend" is still to come