Author Topic: Have you camped out today?  (Read 9544 times)

Re: Have you camped out today?
« Reply #25 on: 22 December, 2021, 09:58:51 pm »
It's fairly obvious that the path got diverted, as there's an on-road stub of the former line.
This shows the current Gloucestershire data, as supplied to Mr Cornelius by me in November:
https://www.rowmaps.com/showmap.php?map=BingOS&lat=51.873770&lon=2.259491&lonew=W&zoom=16

« Reply #26 on: 30 December, 2021, 08:00:10 pm »
There were precisely four of us! And I was there because I know the other three, not because of Tilley lamps. But apparently previous meets have attracted more Tilley fans.

I have two Tilley lamps hanging in the garage. One was bought new by my brother in the 1970s. I picked the other up second hand somewhere much more recently - probably about 25 years ago. I don't think either is in working order. Perhaps I should try to overhaul them.

At risk of this becoming a Tilley lamp appreciation thread my youngest is named after the lamp and fittingly was born on a dark and stormy night

Wow if you ever think two lamps is too many let me know as I ld be interested in one

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27 on: 30 December, 2021, 09:11:42 pm »
There were precisely four of us! And I was there because I know the other three, not because of Tilley lamps. But apparently previous meets have attracted more Tilley fans.

I have two Tilley lamps hanging in the garage. One was bought new by my brother in the 1970s. I picked the other up second hand somewhere much more recently - probably about 25 years ago. I don't think either is in working order. Perhaps I should try to overhaul them.

At risk of this becoming a Tilley lamp appreciation thread my youngest is named after the lamp and fittingly was born on a dark and stormy night

Wow if you ever think two lamps is too many let me know as I ld be interested in one
There will (probably) be another Tilley meet at the end of January, also near Gloucester, and I'm sure you'd both be welcome if you wanted to get all Tilley for a weekend. Let me know, and I'll let you know!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 30 December, 2021, 09:18:59 pm »
Now I'm wondering if these Tilley events are inclusive towards hats and dogs?  Not that I have either...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #29 on: 30 December, 2021, 09:25:08 pm »
I said the very same when I was first told of them! I also wondered about Kim's daughter Tilley  ;D (she's only 51/2 so she'd have to bring her mummy, how AFAIK has no interest in such things).

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #30 on: 02 February, 2022, 01:02:51 pm »
Saturday was a glorious day, the first day of spring (obviously it was still January so the return of winter is to be expected), as I headed up to Ashleworth to camp with a bunch of people in a variety of camper vans, tarps and tents. The night, however, was cold. Must have been down to zero as there was frost on the tent. I had unfortunately stupidly forgotten to bring my warm syndown jacket but someone lent me one similar. Not surprisingly as wasn't half the point (at least half) of being there to spend time in the company of Good People. We cooked chips and chatted about everything from lymphoma to wank socks.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #31 on: 02 February, 2022, 01:41:48 pm »
Saturday was a glorious day, the first day of spring (obviously it was still January so the return of winter is to be expected), as I headed up to Ashleworth to camp with a bunch of people in a variety of camper vans, tarps and tents. The night, however, was cold. Must have been down to zero as there was frost on the tent. I had unfortunately stupidly forgotten to bring my warm syndown jacket but someone lent me one similar. Not surprisingly as wasn't half the point (at least half) of being there to spend time in the company of Good People. We cooked chips and chatted about everything from lymphoma to wank socks.

;D

« Reply #32 on: 10 May, 2022, 11:33:33 am »
Two nights at Longridge (Marlow) with the scouts at the weekend. We had the whole group there, cubs, scouts and explorers for two nights under canvas and the beavers joined us for the saturday night in a hut. For many it was their first camp due to Covid so some of the cubs found it tough.

Unfortunately my sleep mat failed so I spent most of each night uncomfortably on the ground.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #33 on: 10 May, 2022, 11:53:44 am »
Two nights at Longridge (Marlow) with the scouts at the weekend. We had the whole group there, cubs, scouts and explorers for two nights under canvas and the beavers joined us for the saturday night in a hut. For many it was their first camp due to Covid so some of the cubs found it tough.

Unfortunately my sleep mat failed so I spent most of each night uncomfortably on the ground.

Longridge!  Many memories from my time as a Sea Scout in the 70s.  Do they still start the season with making everyone jump into a very chilly Thames in April and insist you could swim upstream for 50 yards or so fully clothed?

« Reply #34 on: 10 May, 2022, 03:16:58 pm »

Longridge!  Many memories from my time as a Sea Scout in the 70s.  Do they still start the season with making everyone jump into a very chilly Thames in April and insist you could swim upstream for 50 yards or so fully clothed?

No, that wasn't required when I was a scout in the 90's though I didn't kayak at first as I couldn't swim well enough and was relegated to a row boat with the leaders.

Our scouts went dragon boating without having to show they could swim. They have also added some climbing activities and laser tag so we weren't always on the water.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #35 on: 10 May, 2022, 03:38:35 pm »

No, that wasn't required when I was a scout in the 90's though I didn't kayak at first as I couldn't swim well enough and was relegated to a row boat with the leaders.

Our scouts went dragon boating without having to show they could swim. They have also added some climbing activities and laser tag so we weren't always on the water.

I did wonder if the practice had been banned due to health and safety  ;D  Our Longridge season used to start after Easter and the Thames was pretty damn cold at that time of year; so cold in fact it would take your breath away as you hit the water! 

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #36 on: 11 May, 2022, 08:26:22 pm »

Memories for me too! I attended at least two Ranger Guide/Venture Scout weekends there back in the 70s. It was quite grown up stuff really as we attended as small groups of friends, not as part of our official Ranger group, took our own tents, probably did our own food and generally had great fun on and off the water. I remember an epic treasure hunt which seemed to involve walking about 10 miles around the local paths and roads (I suspect it was about 3 really) and also a ceilidh (probably known as a barn dance then) in a marquee which was too small for the number of dancers, thus requiring participants to dash out into the pouring rain for certain manoeuvres.

« Reply #37 on: 23 May, 2022, 08:51:07 pm »
Well, last night actually. Not camped for 2 yrs so thought I should have a shake down overnight before York. Found a basic site in the Peak District and as it was Sunday not too busy. As there was a pub next door I decided to use that so took no cooking gear. I had some muesli  with water this am but was missing a hot drink until I struck up a chat with a fellow cyclist who had a camper. Basic site means no shower but I have some foam dry shower which worked ok. Also got some useful miles in the legs.

« Reply #38 on: 28 May, 2022, 11:04:24 am »
Garden camping with the kids who the little one in particular has been badgering me to do since Easter when I had a night bivvy bagging away.

Nothing much exciting but for them still exciting and they always sleep brilliantly in tents. Was just lovely to all snuggle down (minus the wife who chose a comfy bed) and listen to the birds

Did wake early due to light but hood over head and back to sleep till our chickens started making a racket at just after 7 and could hear our dog getting excited but this was as the wife had got up to walk him

Apparently we're doing it again tonight