Author Topic: Rim / tyre question  (Read 1478 times)

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
Rim / tyre question
« on: 24 June, 2023, 10:59:07 pm »
Schwalbe one TLE 25c in a 20.3mm internal rim measures 27.4mm and rubs on my fork under the crown , same tyre in my old Mavic rim fits the bike fine with plenty clearance

Looking for advice to n finding a good tyre that will measure 25mm in a 20mm internal diameter rim , a 23c Michelin Pro 4 looks “ok” but a 25 that doesn’t go huge would be better

Any experience of this

Re: Rim / tyre question
« Reply #1 on: 24 June, 2023, 11:39:44 pm »
My thoughts...
There is nothing wrong with using a tyre that is called '23mm' if it happens to be the largest that will fit with reasonable clearance... as opposed to using one called '25mm' that rubs...

Tyre size tends to be a nominal guide, rather than an exact science. Obviously the wider the rims, the larger the tyre will measure.

Had exactly this with a Scott Speedster S40, when I fitted Scribe Pace wheels and 25mm GP5000s. The 25mm tyre scuffed the fork crown if the rim went out of true at all. Bought a 23mm GP5000 for the front, problem solved.

"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

finch

• Comicpictures
« Reply #2 on: 24 June, 2023, 11:52:16 pm »
I have a 23 on the front now - the clearance is great - it “looks” like a 25 should fit easily but the Schwalbe One was bloody huge at 90psi - unless there’s a smaller 25c tyre it seems only 23s will work on the front

Rim is 20.5 internal - I’m assuming I shouldn’t be worried about cornering

I mean I’ve run 19c tyres back in the day at 125psi and they were tiny , never had any issues cornering in them

finch

• Comicpictures
« Reply #3 on: 09 August, 2023, 10:27:45 am »
Hot rodding was fine but just to experiment , I took the Schwalbe One TLE and put them on the winter bike cause it’s got loads of clearance. Then I took the Vredestein Fortezza Tubeless ( also 25s ) and put them on the summer bike. No rubbing and enough clearance not to be concerned. That’s fine however , and I say this even though I wouldn’t consider myself an authority on the matter…

The Schwalbe One - make my winter bike feel faster than my summer bike with the Vredesteins on. Hmm are Fortezza tubeless not that great rolling ? Rims are the same width internally , tyres are tubeless , pressures are the same

It’s fine , it works but ( and maybe I’m imagining it ) but my summer bike just doesn’t feel as sprightly with these tyres on and that leads me back to my original issue. What tubeless , 25c tyres come up less than 27mm on 21mm internal rims , it feels like that could be a problem that you could throw money at without having a great deal of success

Schwalbe One TLE are too tall , as are Michelin Pro 4 endurance with tubes but although the Vredesteins look fat , they have ample clearance. Obviously it wouldn’t be a problem on a more modern frame but again that would require serious investment and the reason I’m doing all this pondering is because even tyres alone is a hefty spend nowadays. I’ve been out a couple of times on my winter bike recently cause it’s been wet and I’m sure I was slightly faster , maybe I was just strong that day / those days.

There should be a chart that compares the real size of different tyres on different width rims that you can just look up what comes up the same size as what etc , otherwise you’re just stuck looking for anecdotal advice. The LBS isn’t just going to let you fit and inflate brand new tyres until you find the right ones

Anyway just pondering and venting and hoping for some discussion about the subject - I’m sure it’s particularly relevant for folks with older frames that are still obviously good/in use but need modern wheels amd therefore run into this very problem

« Reply #4 on: 09 August, 2023, 05:16:30 pm »
Why do you feel the need to have a tyre with the number 25 written on it?
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

finch

• Comicpictures
« Reply #5 on: 09 August, 2023, 05:52:07 pm »
23s just don’t feel / look great on a wide ish rim , it’s ok but the profile leave a bit to be desired re. Cornering

« Reply #6 on: 09 August, 2023, 06:09:26 pm »
I don't have any problems with my 23mm GP5000 on a wide rim. I don't run tubeless though.

finch

• Comicpictures
« Reply #7 on: 09 August, 2023, 08:29:26 pm »
Not many 23 tubeless options either

« Reply #8 on: 09 August, 2023, 08:58:03 pm »
Hutchinson Fusion 5 eleven storm (really!) might work. They seem a bit smaller than Schwalbe. Current GP5000 are also a bit smaller, I think. From memory, 25s should be sized on a 17c rim, so are likely to come up to about 26-27 on a 20.5c rim.

If you’re patient I’ve got some Hutchinson Fusions I can measure on 19c?

Of course, some tyres seem to fit taller than others - not sure how that works or to measure

Mike

finch

• Comicpictures
« Reply #9 on: 10 August, 2023, 12:19:18 am »
I’m in no rush. Just hoping to earmark something nice and fast that’ll fit when I do need rubber

« Reply #10 on: 10 August, 2023, 03:13:09 pm »
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/ gives actual measurements of tyre when fitted.

Of course it will be different on your rim, but gives you an idea of the actual size vs manufacturer's stated size.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #11 on: 10 August, 2023, 10:14:56 pm »
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/ gives actual measurements of tyre when fitted.

Of course it will be different on your rim, but gives you an idea of the actual size vs manufacturer's stated size.

They test Road size tyres on 17c rims so you could add a couple of m to get in the right ball park

finch

• Comicpictures
« Reply #12 on: 10 August, 2023, 11:13:34 pm »
Doesn’t give much insight regarding a 20.5mm rim really - the Scwalbe one TLE was fine on a 17mm rim but just a bit too fat on the wider one so I guess it might be possible to compare against that and look for something fast that comes up smaller

« Reply #13 on: 16 August, 2023, 04:09:23 pm »
Couple of measurements for you - width as height is harder:

Hutchinson Fusion 5 tubeless performance 25mm on 20mm internal rim is about 27mm wide

Continental GP5000 tubeless (early ones) 25mm on 19mm internal rims are about 25mm wide

Hope that helps

finch

• Comicpictures
« Reply #14 on: 16 August, 2023, 04:15:35 pm »
I think if funds become available I’d like to try the GP5000 cause they’re apparently awesome but I’ve had bad Continental experiences in the past

A buddy has tuned ones on a 20.5 internal I think when I eventually see him I’ll Chuck it in and see if it fits