Author Topic: Please recommend iPod FM transmitter for in-car listening  (Read 3685 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Please recommend iPod FM transmitter for in-car listening
« on: 27 December, 2008, 11:01:06 am »
So many to choose from... any recommendations? Ideally to suit all types of iPod - we've got a Touch, a Classic and a Nano between us.

I'm leaning towards this one, though it's pricey and has several negative reviews on Amazon.

Or any alternative solutions to the problem?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

FyPuNK

Re: Please recommend iPod FM transmitter for in-car listening
« Reply #1 on: 27 December, 2008, 05:57:32 pm »
I have the griffin Itrip, it is ok and people have been impressed by the sound quality, having said that there is not a lot of interference in Blackpool, on a trip into Madchester I gave up, could not get a clear channel. i would reckon any big city would be a problem.
Griffin Technology: iTrip (2006)

citoyen

« Reply #2 on: 27 December, 2008, 08:14:41 pm »
on a trip into Madchester I gave up, could not get a clear channel

Interesting. Would that be due to all the pirate radio stations clogging up the airwaves? I guess it would be a problem with any device of this kind. Fortunately, I live out in the provinces, so it wouldn't be a regular problem.

After calling into Currys on an entirely unrelated matter this afternoon, I'm now looking at the Pure Highway instead - would be nice also to have DAB in the car. Again, I guess interference would be an issue.

Thanks for the recommendation.

d.

« Reply #3 on: 28 December, 2008, 08:01:57 am »
I have a Griffin iTrip, as above. Quite impressed with it, but I found I never really used it... almost new condition, yours for £10 including postage, if you'd like to try one out on the cheap (shout if you'd like a couple of photos).

They are clever little things, with good sound quality, but I found it a little irritating on long distance trips. As you travel you move into areas which have stations broadcasting close to what was a clear frequency earlier in the trip, and you have to re-tune. Might not be an issue for you, depending on how you intend to use.

I now prefer a simple 3.5mm jack cable from ipod into aux input on car stereo.

« Reply #4 on: 28 December, 2008, 11:00:25 am »
We have two of these in our cars.
One is similar to the one linked to already. The up side of this is that it keeps the ipod charged. The downside is that if your electrics are already strained (exacerbated by dodgy HT leads, air conditioning, rear window heaters) or if the lighter socket is loose it pauses the music all the time.
The other one is little one which matches the old nano case. This looks nice and means the ipod is on its own power supply. The down side is that it runs the battery down, and seems to be rather easy to turn on in a pocket if you don't disconnect it.
As others have suggested, it takes a while to find a frequency set that works for typical journeys. On clear days I get interference from a French station, which is rarely to my taste  :sick:
If I were buying again I might well look at non radio alternatives.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #5 on: 28 December, 2008, 01:11:26 pm »
We just have a cheap cassette adaptor which we plug or iPod into for long journeys - it works fine, but does depend on whether you have a car old enough to have a cassette player.

« Reply #6 on: 28 December, 2008, 03:28:04 pm »
I have an iTrip but gave up with it as finding a channel that was clear was difficult. Bought a cheap Sony car radio with a line in on the front instead. Just use a cable with a 3.5mm jack on each end to plug the iPod into it and no hassle interference free sound.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

citoyen

« Reply #7 on: 28 December, 2008, 07:32:49 pm »
I have a Griffin iTrip, as above. Quite impressed with it, but I found I never really used it... almost new condition, yours for £10 including postage, if you'd like to try one out on the cheap

Thanks, but we're going to take a punt on the Pure Highway cos we want DAB too.

I now prefer a simple 3.5mm jack cable from ipod into aux input on car stereo.

Unfortunately, no input on the car stereo. Replacing the car stereo is not something I'd considered, but it might be worth looking into. After all, if I could use the pod in the car, I wouldn't even need a CD player any more, so a basic DAB with aux input might be what I'm really after... hmmm... <goes away and thinks about it>

d.

« Reply #8 on: 28 December, 2008, 09:27:48 pm »
After calling into Currys on an entirely unrelated matter this afternoon, I'm now looking at the Pure Highway instead - would be nice also to have DAB in the car. Again, I guess interference would be an issue.

Not interference, but reception. DAB reception is very patchy, especially outside urban conurbations, and you'll forever be losing the signal.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #9 on: 28 December, 2008, 09:30:58 pm »
I too had an iTrip, gave up after a while and took it back for a (reluctant but eventual) refund. This was due to the continual interference, I couldn't find a channel that would stay interference free in Tun Wells where I do half my driving.
I've gone back to the cassette module method, this was always rather quiet but then I flipped the cassette round the other way and it suddenly came to be the right volume. I keep thinking about a cheap stereo with a front mounted line in. It always makes me laugh that some modern cars are sold with a stereo with a jack plug on the front as being the last word in modernity!! It must cost about 25p to get this done in the factory.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10 on: 29 December, 2008, 10:51:13 am »
I haz a Belkin and it is this: crap.  You can't do half a lap of the M25 without interference.

Whether anyone else's wireless wossname would be any better I know not, but I suspect it wouldn't.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 29 December, 2008, 10:53:48 am »
We just have a cheap cassette adaptor which we plug or iPod into for long journeys - it works fine, but does depend on whether you have a car old enough to have a cassette player.

Butterfly has one of those, and it's pretty good.  We use it for MP3 and a portable DAB radio, for BBC7.
Getting there...

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #12 on: 29 December, 2008, 02:30:13 pm »

Butterfly has one of those, and it's pretty good.  We use it for MP3 and a portable DAB radio, for BBC7.

Ours was £1 from Poundland - we felt that if it wasn't any good then we hadn't exactly wasted our money  ;D