Author Topic: Fenix torch+barbag  (Read 1545 times)

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
Fenix torch+barbag
« on: 20 January, 2009, 11:31:40 pm »
Anybody uses a fenix torch successfully with a barbag? Mrs P got me a barbag as a birthday pressie. It is nice but at the moment it is either barbag or light. Anyway round this? I would like the torch to be somewhere under the bag but i am not sure where and how to attach it?
Chief cat entertainer.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
Re: Fenix torch+barbag
« Reply #1 on: 21 January, 2009, 07:29:45 am »
I have just such a setup, though by barbag is only an el cheapo one from Lidl which hangs down rather  limply. 

My two Fenix just sit in the lockblocks in the middle of the bars as usual and poke over the top of the bag.  I'm assuming a proper bar bag sits up a bit anf rises above the bars?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 21 January, 2009, 08:50:09 am »
If you were to use one of these:

You could attach it to the bottom of one of the drops and and angle it correctly.  Either that or get a space bar and drop it below the bar bag.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #3 on: 21 January, 2009, 01:47:28 pm »
Yes, Barbag is too high. Charlotte what do you mean by a spacebar?
Chief cat entertainer.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 21 January, 2009, 03:55:37 pm »
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #5 on: 21 January, 2009, 04:04:27 pm »
...or better the Topeak one.  I've used the Minoura SG1, SG2, and the Topeak Bar X-Tender.

The Topeak seems the most solid, then the shorter SG2, and then the long SG1.  For some reason even though it's bigger, the SG1 seems to use smaller nuts and bolts in it's construction, which seems bizarre.  It may be that Minoura changed the design, so maybe the current SG2 also uses the smaller parts.  The Topeak seems the most solid, especially if the load is heavier.

I've had a GPS and fairly hefty Exposure lamp on the Topeak, and it's taken it better than the SG1, which started to work loose after not much mileage.

I quite like the Spacegrips, but the Bar X-Tender seems more flexible in positioning options, and more ruggedly solid.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #6 on: 21 January, 2009, 05:46:55 pm »
Thanks, I think that I will go for the spacebar option. I find that the upper part of the beam is counterproductive in the fog so I will use the barbag to mask it!
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #7 on: 21 January, 2009, 07:40:18 pm »
What sort of forks do you have?

I have a touring bike with V brakes and a mount on the crown for a dynamo light. It also works for a drilled brake mount..

If you take the SG1 apart, and attach the "Ushaped" metal bracket to the crown, and remount the bar it provides a useful mount at crown height

(Note: the brakes ARE behind the forks on this bike)