Author Topic: So what makes a cyclist look suspicious?  (Read 1889 times)

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
So what makes a cyclist look suspicious?
« on: 28 June, 2010, 01:33:17 pm »
According to Lothian and Borders Police, the answer is not wearing a helmet!  It apparently means that you might have stolen the bike!!! 

Quote:  "A range of crackdowns have been carried out in a bid to quell the number of the thefts, including giving officers mugshots of serial offenders, extra plain clothed patrols and stopping "suspicious" cyclists, such as those not wearing a helmet, who may have stolen the bike."

http://www.scotsman.com/news/Cyclists-warned-to-security-mark.6385889.jp

Julian

• samoture
Re: So what makes a cyclist look suspicious?
« Reply #1 on: 28 June, 2010, 01:40:38 pm »
Hmmm, I kind of see the idea although I think it was badly phrased.  I have once or twice seen a yoof in a tracksuit with the sort of carbon machine that you would ordinarily expect to see attached to the expensively bemitted hand of an Assos-bottomed, sperm-helmet wearing chap of a certain age (i.e. one able to afford it.)  It might make more sense if they couched it in those terms, or said they also look out for people in trainers with a bike with clipless pedals, which I gather they do.

I've wondered on occasions when I'm taking my Ruby from home to bunker or vice versa whether I look suspicious in normal clothes, non cycling shoes but with a carbon bike with clipless pedals. 

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 28 June, 2010, 01:45:04 pm »
Indeed, that's sound observational policing. 

I suspect reporter/editor bias creeping in to blank out the subtlety (deliberate or otherwise).
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #3 on: 07 July, 2010, 09:47:49 am »
It might make more sense if they couched it in those terms, or said they also look out for people in trainers with a bike with clipless pedals, which I gather they do.

Opps! Monday I cycled my winter trainer home from work in uncomfortable jeans & trainers (on clipless pedals) and with the seat way too high. It did occur to me I probably looked like I'd nicked it, and would have been happy to be quizzed about it*
(I was having a 'rest day' after marmotte but wanted to take back home the bike I'd leant a colleague. The Underground was utterly screwed though, so rather than take it back to the office I thought stuff it, I'll ride it as it is).

* - this did once happen. I attended an event at the IMechE and had to "steal" my bike back out of the gated basement bike area afterward, as there was no-one available to release it. Being about a minute from parliament square there are many police about, and one pulled up right as I was climbing back over the gate. He was very polite, and after getting over the embarrassment I remembered to thank him sincerely for looking out for my bike.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #4 on: 07 July, 2010, 09:52:51 am »
Wearing a US Postal Radioshack team strip?

;D

« Reply #5 on: 08 July, 2010, 09:43:01 pm »
We had the following in the local "Neighbourhood Watch" leaflet

We are appealing to the communities within these areas for help and ask that you are extra vigilant and report anything suspicious.

Make  note of any vehicles that you feel are suspicious, What is the person you believe to be suspicious wearing? Are they riding a bicycle[/i]

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #6 on: 09 July, 2010, 08:57:40 am »
According to Lothian and Borders Police, the answer is not wearing a helmet!  It apparently means that you might have stolen the bike!!! 

Quote:  "A range of crackdowns have been carried out in a bid to quell the number of the thefts, including giving officers mugshots of serial offenders, extra plain clothed patrols and stopping "suspicious" cyclists, such as those not wearing a helmet, who may have stolen the bike."
Anth and Colin (I think you met him briefly at the Nocturne last year, he's stupidly tall) and I discussed the likely consequences of riding round and round St Leonard's polis station wearing Viking helmets.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #7 on: 09 July, 2010, 09:04:04 am »
We had the following in the local "Neighbourhood Watch" leaflet

We are appealing to the communities within these areas for help and ask that you are extra vigilant and report anything suspicious.

Make  note of any vehicles that you feel are suspicious, What is the person you believe to be suspicious wearing? Are they riding a bicycle[/i]

… "Why are they not in their Mercedes?"
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #8 on: 09 July, 2010, 09:26:38 am »
I bought a carbon TT bike locally, private sale. Rode it home wearing jeans and trainers and an enormous coat (it was February).

« Reply #9 on: 09 July, 2010, 09:30:08 am »
I looked suspicious enough to get stopped once, jeans, trainers, rucksack at 3 am on a MTB.
They did stop me as I was pulling into my own drive on the way home from work so it was a short conversation.

edit: no helmet either, possibly a wooly hat instead.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #10 on: 09 July, 2010, 09:41:45 am »
(Not quite a riding a bike story)

A mate and I got stopped and accused of being a burglar once. It was about 1:30am "What are you two up to and where are you going"
"We're going to the Police Station"

That confused them!

We'd just got back from London on a very delayed train and we were going to collect our bikes, having locked them up in the Police Station car park, which we thought was probably the safest place in town.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.