Author Topic: What's with a driving license?  (Read 1420 times)

What's with a driving license?
« on: 08 February, 2009, 02:57:17 pm »
I was forced to replan my tour to Northamptonshire and Warwickshire so decided to visit all the Historic Churches I fancied and catch up with some history and Green Men.

I found one Church which was locked up. I understand why rural Churches are locked and have no problem with this and was delighted to find the details of a key holder..... so far so good.

So i cycle a mile or so to the next village, politely knock on the door and inquire aboutthe key.

"I'll need your driving licence" was the reply.

Me: "I'm cycle touring - I don't carry it."

Keyholder: " We need to prove who you are - No driving license, no key"

Me: "I've got bank cards, NUS membership card, CTC membership card, my State Registration and Professional membership cards, my NHS photo ID and two hotel confirmations with my address - will any of thise do?

Keyholder: "Has to be a driving licence"

ME: But I can prove my name, address, and you can even verify me on the internet"

Keyholder: Has to be a driving licence"

Me: (Now a little annoyed) "What if I was partially sighted or couldn't hold a licence for medical reasons?"

Keyholder: "Whoever was with you would have a driving license - you can't get here if you don't drive!"

Me: So although I can prove my name, and address, have identification that satisfies airport security for flying to Scotland - I can't provide enough proof to borrow the key?"

Keyholder "Yes - it needs to be a driving license"

Gave up at this point - but why the driving licence fixation?

gordon taylor

Re: What's with a driving license?
« Reply #1 on: 08 February, 2009, 03:29:03 pm »
It's a Christian thing, probably.  :-\

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #2 on: 08 February, 2009, 03:52:38 pm »
Because that is The Rule and Keyholder is following The Rule.  Where you to run off with the key and Keyholder was found to have not followed The Rule then who knows what could happen....  So in conclusion, the guy was just being a Jobsworth. 

On a personal note, I got annoyed just reading your story & I've been seriously pissed off that had actually happened to me.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

zzpza

« Reply #3 on: 08 February, 2009, 04:56:25 pm »

it sounds to me that the person didn't comprehend the spirit of the rule, so was upholding the letter of the rule.

On a personal note, I got annoyed just reading your story & I've been seriously pissed off that had actually happened to me.

+1

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #4 on: 08 February, 2009, 10:34:14 pm »
Write/call the vicar/minister/priest/other person of responsibility.

They may be of a mind to wander round to key holder with a cluebat*.

* been looking for an excuse to use that wonderful word in a post.