Author Topic: Recommend me an "advanced" camera  (Read 3490 times)

bikenerd

Recommend me an "advanced" camera
« on: 27 January, 2009, 02:42:45 pm »
Hello.  I used to own an old Canon Powershot A510 (I think) 3MP camera, which sadly died due to battery leakage.  I really liked the photos this camera produced.  I also really liked having some manual control over the photos, especially aperture priority and shutter priority modes.

We replaced the camera with a Canon Ixus 70 which, while fine as a point and shoot camera and I appreciate its very small size, doesn't take as good photos (to my eye) as my old 3MP Powershot and doesn't have the advanced modes.

So, I'm looking for a camera to supplement the Ixus, one that I can take more "serious" photos with, but I'm a bit undecided as to which type of camera I should get and even more confused as to which model.  I guess the type is either a superzoom (e.g. Panasonic FZ28), "advanced compact" (Canon G10) or budget DSLR (Canon 1000D, Nikon D40).  I think a DSLR might be too big, as I'd like to carry this on walks, possibly cycle rides.

Any recommendations?

Features it must have:
Aperture priority
Shutter speed priority
Good image results, especially in low light
Variable flash output
[Edit] Viewfinder.  Has to have one of these!

Features that would be nice:
RAW mode
Full manual
Lightweight
[Edit] Wide angle lens.  Would be nice but not a deal breaker.

Features I'm not too bothered about:
Massive zoom range

Thank you!

Chris N

Re: Recommend me an "advanced" camera
« Reply #1 on: 27 January, 2009, 02:51:10 pm »
*watches with interest*

FZ28 is currently top of my list (to replace/complement my Ixus 55) at the moment.  I assume you've seen dpreview's 'super zoom' group test?

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2 on: 27 January, 2009, 02:55:20 pm »
Hello.  I used to own an old Canon Powershot A510 (I think) 3MP camera, which sadly died due to battery leakage.  I really liked the photos this camera produced.  I also really liked having some manual control over the photos, especially aperture priority and shutter priority modes.

We replaced the camera with a Canon Ixus 70 which, while fine as a point and shoot camera and I appreciate its very small size, doesn't take as good photos (to my eye) as my old 3MP Powershot.

So, I'm looking for a camera to supplement the Ixus, one that I can take more "serious" photos with, but I'm a bit undecided as to which type of camera I should get and even more confused as to which model.  I guess the type is either a superzoom (e.g. Panasonic FZ28), "advanced compact" (Canon G10) or budget DSLR (Canon 1000D, Nikon D40).  I think a DSLR might be too big, as I'd like to carry this on walks, possibly cycle rides.

Any recommendations?

Features it must have:
Aperture priority
Shutter speed priority
Good image results, especially in low light
Variable flash output

Features that would be nice:
RAW mode
Full manual
Lightweight

Features I'm not too bothered about:
Massive zoom range

Thank you!

It depends on the size of camera you want to lug around. The prime considerations for image quality are 1) the size of the sensor which dictates 2) the size of the lens (bigger lenses are more forgiving) and finally 3) the quality of the in-camera software.

The camera you replaced had a bigger sensor than the Ixus. Pictures, especially in maginal conditions, and dynamic range would have been better and required less software intervention to get a good result.

Given your previous experiences and desired size, go for something in the Canon S or A range but don't go as small as the Ixus. Try to keep the number of megapixels down (4-6 should be ideal) as the more you chop up a sensor into little bits, the lower quality each becomes. 
If you are prepared to carry something a little bigger then you will not be disappointed by the G10.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

LEE

« Reply #3 on: 27 January, 2009, 03:24:08 pm »
Canon SX10 IS is looking promising.  I'm waiting for full review on dpreview.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 27 January, 2009, 04:18:11 pm »
It is possible to carry a DSLR on walks and cycle rides.  The comfort of doing so depends how long your walks are, and and what sort of bag(s) you could/would use on your cycle rides.

My suggestion is Pentax Km, the new small lightweight model, with in-body Shake Reduction that works with all lenses.  This signficantly improves the handheld low light performance as it means you can use lower ISO settings, and without needing special expensive lenses.  Also the build quality and viewfinders of Pentax's DSLRs are better than anybody else's for the money.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #5 on: 27 January, 2009, 05:07:11 pm »
I've got a canon G9 which meets all of the above apart from 'lightweight'.

The stuff I love about it:
 - takes great photos, especially in good light
 - all the manual controls you could need, and they're pretty easy to use with fat fingers like mine
 - it takes a hotshoe flash which make inside / nighttime shots much better than built-in flash because you can bounce it
 - it takes raw files.

the stuff I dont like:
 - it's too big for a small camera
 - the lens isnt wide enough
 - anything over ISO 400 and I wish I'd had my SLR with me.

having said all that, I'm actually going to sell it soon and buy a panasonic LX3 because of the size thing - the G10 is even bigger than the G9 and the LX3 seems to fix all of my 'dont like' stuff. 

bikenerd

« Reply #6 on: 27 January, 2009, 05:13:29 pm »
I've got a canon G9 which meets all of the above apart from 'lightweight'.

The stuff I love about it:
 - takes great photos, especially in good light
 - all the manual controls you could need, and they're pretty easy to use with fat fingers like mine
 - it takes a hotshoe flash which make inside / nighttime shots much better than built-in flash because you can bounce it
 - it takes raw files.

the stuff I dont like:
 - it's too big for a small camera
 - the lens isnt wide enough
 - anything over ISO 400 and I wish I'd had my SLR with me.

having said all that, I'm actually going to sell it soon and buy a panasonic LX3 because of the size thing - the G10 is even bigger than the G9 and the LX3 seems to fix all of my 'dont like' stuff. 

The G10 has a wider lens than the G9.  I think I'm wavering towards the G10 but let me know when you're selling your G9!  The size isn't too bad for me, as long as it can be carried in a coat pocket or small bag.  I did a sketch on a bit of paper of various size cameras length * depth to see how they relate to each other.

I like the look of the LX3, its feature set and the images it takes but it doesn't have a viewfinder, which is a deal breaker for me, I'm afraid.

« Reply #7 on: 27 January, 2009, 05:19:39 pm »
fair enough, but have you actually tried the viewfinder on the G9 / G10?  Its absolutely tiny, I dont think I've ever used it.  The LCD is excellent.   The G9 / G10 are big cameras, definitely worth going to a shop and having a play.

(If you made me an offer somewhere near 200 quid, it's yours. ;D)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: 27 January, 2009, 05:26:13 pm »
Viewfinders on compact cameras aren't very good anyway (small and inaccurate) , so you don't loose much by not having one when the LCD screen is reasonably large and bright like it is with the LX2 and LX3 cameras.  (I have an LX2).

A DSLR is what you need if you want a decent viewfinder.  The smallest ones are small enough to carry in a fairly small bag.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Rob S

« Reply #9 on: 27 January, 2009, 06:02:20 pm »

I like the look of the LX3, its feature set and the images it takes but it doesn't have a viewfinder, which is a deal breaker for me, I'm afraid.

You can buy a top mounted viewfinder for the LX3, fits in the hotshoe....yours for about £180 iirc!! :thumbsup:

Personally I've never used any of the optical viewfinders available on my Fuji MX2700, Oly C3030, Oly C40 or Canon Ixus 40...far to small and pokey!!

Rob S

« Reply #10 on: 27 January, 2009, 06:09:27 pm »
Phew!!! Panasonic have released SIX new compacts today and not one is a replacement for the LX3!!! :thumbsup:

« Reply #11 on: 27 January, 2009, 06:22:24 pm »
I just noticed that they released a new set of firmware for the LZ3 a couple of weeks back.  It looks like it corrects a handful of relatively minor issues.
Actually, it is rocket science.

bikenerd

« Reply #12 on: 27 January, 2009, 07:07:05 pm »
I do actually use the viewfinder on my little IXUS.  It's a bit fiddly but in bright sunlight its often the difference between getting a shot and getting nothing! :)

mike: very tempting.  I'll have a think about whether I actually want the wide angle lens that comes on the G10 or not.

« Reply #13 on: 27 January, 2009, 08:00:20 pm »
IMO the Canon G10 looks the one. I intend to get one but waiting until Focus on Imaging as there are usually some good offers.  The drawback with the LX3 in no optical viewfinder, for me an essential.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

bikenerd

« Reply #14 on: 29 January, 2009, 09:11:35 pm »
I now have hung around my neck a chunk of metalled loveliness: a Canon Powershot G10.  The styling and size look a bit "retro" but in a good way!  I've taken quite a few snaps of the lounge and computer so far whilst wading through the manual.
Thanks for helping me choose.  Thinking out loud helped me to narrow the selection down and determine what I actually really wanted!  :thumbsup: