Author Topic: First Fixed Ride  (Read 5001 times)

First Fixed Ride
« on: 08 February, 2009, 07:46:13 pm »
Well my Pearson Hanzo that I got though the cycle to work scheme arrived this week so I took it out for a quick spin today. I had never ridden fixed before but I had a grin from ear to ear when I got back, I absolutely loved it.

I was actually easier than I thought too. Managed to get clipped in and out OK, which was my major worry. I also discovered what happens when you try to freewheel  ;D.

I am soooo looking forward to my next ride on it.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: First Fixed Ride
« Reply #1 on: 08 February, 2009, 07:49:15 pm »
an other one joins the flock \o/
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 08 February, 2009, 07:55:33 pm »
Well done :)
Getting there...

« Reply #3 on: 08 February, 2009, 07:58:07 pm »
I thought you were supposed to come back terrified and shaking from your first fixed ride. He's obviously not doing it right.

« Reply #4 on: 08 February, 2009, 08:01:48 pm »
I thought you were supposed to come back terrified and shaking from your first fixed ride.

That was certainly my experience, but the second and subsequent rides were fine.
Glad you like it, Hugo  :)

« Reply #5 on: 08 February, 2009, 09:12:39 pm »
My first fixed ride was around the first floor of our office building :-)
Stropping rocks

« Reply #6 on: 08 February, 2009, 09:13:50 pm »
You'll be up for the next "NY Fixed" ride  then hugo15 ?

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #7 on: 08 February, 2009, 09:55:23 pm »
Had my first fixed ride today too, on my Cycle2Work Condor Tempo what I ordered in October ::-)

Only managed a quick spin round the block, as the roads were pretty icy, but I'm looking forward to giving it a longer ride soon. Starting out was fine, riding along was great, but my first attempt to stop, downhill, on ice, wasn't too pretty. It would have helped if I'd tightened the handlebars on to the stem properly  :-[.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #8 on: 09 February, 2009, 01:00:49 pm »
You'll be up for the next "NY Fixed" ride  then hugo15 ?

Might well be so long as it is flat!

ed_o_brain

« Reply #9 on: 09 February, 2009, 01:53:46 pm »
Well done and nice choice of bike too!

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: 09 February, 2009, 01:57:57 pm »
Yay, congrats - another happy fixer  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Si

« Reply #11 on: 09 February, 2009, 03:00:37 pm »
My first ride on fixed (years ago at a Manchester track session) wasn't terrifying at all.  No, it was once I'd done a few rides, and thought that I'd mastered it that the terror began  :demon:

It's when I stopped riding really carefully and started looking at the scenery'n'smelling the flowers...a little like when you pass your driving test - you don't realise that the learning really starts when you go out by your self  ;)

But it ain't that bad, a bit like that old cliche of riding a bike really.

« Reply #12 on: 09 February, 2009, 07:02:13 pm »
One more of us, one less of them ;D

« Reply #13 on: 17 February, 2009, 08:54:56 pm »
Since the Hanzo arrived the weather has been terrible so it has been in the garage looking all sad. So with Mrs Hugo15 and the kids away I decided to take it for its second spin tonight after work. Did about 10 miles round a flat circuit.

I can't believe how much I am enjoying riding fixed. The thing I noticed tonight was how quickly the bike accelerates when I get out of the saddle to pick up speed or try to put thhe hammer down. It is so direct. I also realised that I need to concentrate 100% of the time - only one slight rise out of the saddle tonight though.

I plan to commute on fixed but ride my geared bike on a weekend. How do people manage switching between the two? Should I just keep pedalling whatever bike I am on?

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #14 on: 17 February, 2009, 09:08:07 pm »
You can chalk me up as another recent convert to the dark light whatever side.  I originally ordered my Tempo on the assumption that it would be a weekend machine and I'd go on using the hub-geared tourer for commuting.  Experience has not matched this plan, though, and today I gave in and ordered a dynohub wheel for the Tempo.

Not found switching back and forth a problem yet.  The inexorable motion of the cranks subtly discourages freewheeling...
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Chris S

« Reply #15 on: 17 February, 2009, 09:10:24 pm »
Not found switching back and forth a problem yet.  The inexorable motion of the cranks subtly discourages freewheeling...

...and reminds you in an unsubtle way should you forget...  ;D

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #16 on: 17 February, 2009, 09:14:55 pm »
Not found switching back and forth a problem yet. The inexorable motion of the cranks subtly discourages freewheeling...

...and reminds you in an unsubtle way should you forget...  ;D

Well... yes!  But what surprised me is how rarely matters have actually reached that point.

Also impressed by the acceleration.  I'm struggling to see why it goes faster than the geared bike...
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Chris S

« Reply #17 on: 17 February, 2009, 09:25:50 pm »
The only time I've had a problem is when I've panicked because of a road issue such as a pothole, or bad iron-works; you immediately want to freewheel so you can sort yourself out, and if you can't, it can get messy.

My best ever moment on a bike was on Fixed, on one of the Ut's rides at Henham, when I encountered a ride-ending pothole whilst doing 50km/hr downhill. I sent the bike to the left of the pothole, whilst my bodyweight went to the right - all whilst still pedalling at 120rpm. No idea how I did that.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: 18 February, 2009, 01:13:18 pm »
I plan to commute on fixed but ride my geared bike on a weekend. How do people manage switching between the two? Should I just keep pedalling whatever bike I am on?

You'll cope.  I ride fixed during the week and a freewheel at the weekend, too (either captaining our tandem or on my solo).

It's no biggie; a few weeks muscle memory is enough to help you develop split-second reactions to the little kick you get when you try to freewheel on a fixed.

cc93

« Reply #19 on: 18 February, 2009, 01:18:20 pm »
a few weeks muscle memory is enough to help you develop split-second reactions to the little kick you get when you try to freewheel on a fixed.

Does anyone else get the reverse effect, that when starting to freewheel (on a geared bike) my leading leg gives a little kick back?

(maybe it's just me)

« Reply #20 on: 18 February, 2009, 01:19:45 pm »
I must admit I've ridden so little on the upright in the last year that I had a small stop-pedalling moment on my fixed yesterday with miniMikey on the back.  Just a little push back and that's all it was.  Disconcerting though, because I haven't had one for miles and miles of riding fixed.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: 18 February, 2009, 01:21:55 pm »
Does anyone else get the reverse effect, that when starting to freewheel (on a geared bike) my leading leg gives a little kick back?

Ho Yuss.  I do a lot of moves which involve using the inertia of the fixed to pull the pedal up on the backstroke.  Forgetting you're not on fixed and clanging backwards at best looks silly.  I have, in the past, lost skin...

ed_o_brain

« Reply #22 on: 18 February, 2009, 01:59:45 pm »
Switched back to fixed riding this week ... the really the first time this year.
No issues at all.

Enjoying all the variation in cycling... freewheel.. folder.. MTB.. Tandem.. (..the latter of which will get a new rear tyre and be comming back out to play this weekend!  :thumbsup:)