Author Topic: Other Audax Writing.  (Read 2287 times)

Other Audax Writing.
« on: 11 May, 2011, 02:48:26 pm »
I've just been looking through some old hard drives and I came across some old short Arrivee articles I did. Forums such as these have a lot to answer for in absorbing the short form of generalised writing. It can be fun to write and is useful in filling up odd corners of a magazine and breaking up the three page epics.

Here's one I called 'The Road to Nowhere'.

I recently moved house, it was part of a drift back to my roots, close to the main London-Glasgow railway line that backs on to the first house I can remember living in.

Our new home must be about a mile and a half from that first home, a close friend from school used to live at the top of our lane, and in the church at the other end of the lane lie long lost relatives, killed whilst skating during a cold snap that proved to be not quite cold enough, at the beginning of the last century.

All this got me to musing about what the Germans call ‘Heimat’ a term which means home, but also one’s home territory, a landscape encompassed by the mind. For a child this will consist of the local sweet shop, a pond for fishing and a wood with a rope swing and bluebells in the spring. For the randonneur the equivalents could be the Priory Café in Scorton, the Art Gallery in Drumbeg and the pub names and low bridge heights used as information controls.

One of the joys of Audaxing and of returning to familiar rides is the sense of an extended homeland, taking possession of part of the world by traversing it by one’s own efforts and navigating across it with the aid of simple instructions.

I was talking with a friend about the sheer brainpower used in everyday life in orientating
ourselves; he said that he’d heard that London cabbies have an enlarged hypothalamus, a
part of the brain used for these basic processes of just knowing where we are. We also
talked about the de-skilling of these processes, how mobile phone memories have replaced
our own and of course our thoughts turned to the GPS. With it turned on, would we extend
our mental maps or would we sub-contract the formation of impressions to a handy
gadget. I’m afraid that I wouldn’t be taking in the visual cues in the same way if I could rely
on a machine, and if I’m not taking in my surroundings, what would distinguish the first time
I do a ride from subsequent times? Where will the sensation of time passing quicker on
each successive visit go? Perhaps the GPS will experience it, and my mind will be reduced
to the status of a child on the back seat, forever thinking, ‘Are we nearly there yet?’

There’s a song by Talking Heads, the introduction goes, ‘We know where we’re going, but
we don’t know where we’ve been, and we know what we’re  knowing, but we can’t say
what we’ve seen and we’re not little children. and we know what we want, and the future is certain, give us time to work it out.’ The song?  Road to Nowhere.

Re: Other Audax Writing.
« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2011, 04:53:19 pm »
Armchair Audax.
Get a Life! A common enough cry from night club queues and chucked out pubs as we pedal past, on the way from A to A via B.C.D…etc. Unfortunately life has crept up on me in the form of a housing upgrade, keeping my nose to the angle grinder, router and mitre saw. Never mind though, Audax is as much a mental exercise as a physical one, so I’ve joined the 60% of Arrivee readers riding from the comfort of their armchair. I’m a bit concerned that we are not receiving the attention we deserve so I’ve been giving some thought to some basic guidelines to getting the best from your static recumbent.

Risk assessment.
We might  perceive sitting at home with a magazine as a risk free environment, but how can we say this when no statistics are available? In the absence of a formal reporting system there are a few obvious risks which we can minimise by common sense precautions.

1.   Feeding regime. Placing of  beverages and foodstuffs in the immediate reading zone present a hazard to both reader and other household members. Bottles of wine and beer should be of screw top or other closable design, bidons could be used for still drinks but care must be taken to flatten fizzy pop and lagers. Foodstuffs should be non-greasy to avoid staining the lovely colour photos and be inherently stable. An ice-cream sundae with a cherry on top would lie at one extreme of the unsuitability scale and a dry wholemeal oatcake at the other, desirable, end of the scale

2.   Appropriate reading level. It is best if we stick to areas of core competence. New readers should start with short articles on my first 50 or 100k. It is vital that we are not over-stimulated as this may lead to biting of more than we can chew. Reading about saddle sores, hot foot, sleep deprivation induced hallucinations, carpal tunnel syndrome and exposure/ sun-stroke can be off putting to those who have not been through these common problems. We can recognise articles likely to touch on these subjects by their length, anything over three pages can usually be relied on to scare the ‘bejasus’ out of the beginner. Likewise any article about battery life, lighting beam patterns and GPS systems only makes sense when you have found yourself dazed, confused and in the dark in Lincolnshire at 2.30am.

3.   Chair design and position. The usual search for lightweight kit can be ignored. It would be possible to produce a carbon fibre Eames chair, but comfort is the keynote. A reclining chair would be ideal, enabling the reader to snooze their way through descriptions of 30 miles of fen and yet be able to sit bolt upright to appreciate encounters with 18 to 25 age group triathlons. The chair should be sited slightly off the main route between  television and fridge, possibly close to the  computer terminal.

4.   PBP. A classic form of over stimulation. All too easy to find yourself stuck in the middle of Brittany wondering where it all went wrong. Remember that you can follow the field over the interweb, checking times into controls on the net. A little pre-planning opens up a whole new field of online betting.

5.   Clothing. This must be appropriate for the setting and climatic conditions, Lycra is not usually needed, but can be useful in role-play situations. Don’t forget sunglasses and a hat to combat glare if the reading zone receives direct sunlight, e.g. a conservatory or ‘sun-room’.

AAA.
This proposed new award, the Armchair Appreciation Award, would be validated through an online comprehension test. Points would be available to encourage participation and cover to cover readers would be rewarded for their diligence.

Anyway I must go now as today is my birthday and I must lay in a store of lager on the way back from respacing my balustrades to satisfy the building inspector. I might see you out on the road, or maybe in the pages of Arrivee.

« Reply #2 on: 30 September, 2011, 09:24:17 am »
I still think there's room for writing around Audax, not about single rides, but the feelings they engender. Ideally they'd be sprinkled around Arrivee to provide a way in for new readers.

New words for old feelings.
[/b]I have been re-connecting with some of my past of late, re-reading some of my inspirational books, Everest and the Arctic the main subjects. In Arctic Dreams by Barry Lopez I came across some Eskimo words which chimed a bit with how I felt at times, there was ilira ( nervous awe), kappia (apprehension) and nuannaarpoq (taking extravagant pleasure in being alive) In ‘The Climb’ by Anatoli Boukreev and G. Weston de Walt I found a Russian word, samochuvstvie (An impression of a person’s state of being, the combined and observable aspects of a person’s mental, physical and emotional state.) This interested me as it is so often difficult to adequately describe the positive aspects of Audax riding. So much cycling slang refers to  suffering on the bike, as we bonk, we grovel and then we crack. We all know what it means to be ‘on song’ to be literally singing with joy, usually with the wind at our backs, but other shared experiences stay within our own hearts for want of an adequate vocabulary. Peter Marshall gave us a glossary of French cycling slang in Arrivee before the last PBP. These summoned up much of the feeling of riding in a group and in a culture in which cycling isn’t so ‘far out’, but what can express the joy of keeping pace with a Barn Owl as it hunts along a main drain across the Fens in the light of an early summer dawn, or the misery of hard won time draining away into a headwind on an endless false flat. The particular joy of Audax for me lies in the tangential experiences, the fact that things are happening at the edge of the main event. The world passes by as does in a train journey, inexorably, but the foreground is not the flickering blur we see through the carriage window, we smell the new-mown hay, we hear the deer crashing through the corn and hope they won’t dash across our path. But we don’t hang around,  our aim is not to be part of  the world we pass through, but to get right back to where we started from. What we need a vocabulary to share our Audax experience.

1) . Welcome-Broken: The mental state which enables one to sleep underneath a table in a motorway service station cafeteria lit by 5,000 watts of fluorescent tubes. From Welcome Break
2) . Smugliness: The proud look on your face when a waitress or shop assistant advertises your audacity to bystanders.
3) Contemptment:The feeling you get when a staggering drunk tells you to ‘get a life’.
 4) Dumpling: The action of pulling away from another rider who is riding at a lower pace, also the name for that rider.
5) Yadmossia: A nervous apprehension that rabbits are about to run under your front wheel..
6) Schmidt-blindness: Loss of night vision caused by a bright light following immediately behind. ‘.
7)Viewphoria: Legs spinning with renewed vigour in areas of outstanding natural beauty, usually the cycling leg of a Triathalon, can also apply to scenery.
8)Bananausea: I don’t mind if I see another bendy yellow fruit of the genus Musa, no don’t say the name, oh no! it’s too late.
9)Amnausea. I feel queasy, I don’t know why, I’ve only had 12 Ibuprofen, 10 Gel thingy’s, 5 litres of PSP and 15 Nutri Grain bars in the last 250 miles. It’s not as if I haven’t done this before.

Looking back at my suggestions for new words to describe the joy of Audax, I seem to  have concentrated on  what might seem to be negative aspects. I am starting  to question my optimism. Am I a glass half empty or glass half full kind of guy? The answer, of course, is that both glasses are full of  Coke and I’m now drinking the last 500mm out of the 2 litre bottle I bought because it cost £1.26 and 500mm would have cost £1.19. I must admit that I swing between trying to sum up the craziness of Audax and being scared that analysing any part of it might bring the whole thing crashing down like a house of cards. Only time, distance and of course the coming PBP season will tell.

StevieB

• I'm an embarrassment to my bicycle!
« Reply #3 on: 02 October, 2011, 07:50:10 pm »
I've just been looking through some old hard drives...

Some people might see the re-hashing of old material as a cynical attempt to grab attention with minimal effort, but I'd say this digitally remastered and rearranged 'Best of ...' deserves to see the light of day and win over a new, younger audience. Bravo!
It may be self-flagellation, but it still hurts

« Reply #4 on: 06 October, 2011, 01:25:38 pm »
Thanks for that vote of confidence.
I found this from 2008, which might be lurking somewhere on this very Forum.

With PBP having used up so much goodwill in households across Britain, I have been inspired by M Series’ excellent suggestion for added ‘family points’ to come up with ‘Brevet Brownie Points’ just send me the receipts and I will validate. 100 plus points gets a pass-out for LEL.
Trip to IKEA, 5 points, 10 if home delivery is required.
Family Barbecue, 2.5 points, 5 if 3 generations are involved, 10 if 4 generations.
Bathroom or Kitchen renovation, 12 points, 15 if you do the plumbing and it doesn’t leak.
Hard landscaping, 10 points, extra 5 points if you don’t crack any of the Indian Sandstone.
Tree Pruning, 4 points, plus half a point for every Leylandii over 20 feet tackled.
Suggestions for additional counting tasks welcome.

It has echoes of this song now I look at it again.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/EF_O1Mcwi1w&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/EF_O1Mcwi1w&rel=1</a>

StevieB

• I'm an embarrassment to my bicycle!
« Reply #5 on: 06 October, 2011, 07:47:17 pm »
That's a song you don't hear every day.... thankfully.
Don't expect any more encouragement from me!
It may be self-flagellation, but it still hurts