Author Topic: Converting SPDs to flats  (Read 4422 times)

Converting SPDs to flats
« on: 20 March, 2009, 08:14:49 am »
I saw an attachment which you can fix onto onee side of an SPD pedal in a recent C+ but can't find the mag. It looked quite expensive and I ignored it.
Thinking about it, it would be quite useful to be able to use my good bike to commute occasionally to work in my work shoes.
Has anyone got one of these?
Where can I get one?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Converting SPDs to flats
« Reply #1 on: 20 March, 2009, 08:21:44 am »
You get a set when you buy a pair of SPDs, at least with the Shimano M520's. I think that I gave my last set of spare ones away but I'll check later.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2 on: 20 March, 2009, 08:22:35 am »
Decathlon sell the things you are looking for, but they are called Reflector kits.  Costs is around £6 IIRC.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #3 on: 20 March, 2009, 08:32:48 am »
Bike shops also have them so people can do test rides in normal shoes.

Evans gave me a handful but I've given them away when I realised I didn't really need them.
A shitter and a giggler.

« Reply #4 on: 20 March, 2009, 08:48:03 am »
Or just get some Shimano M424 pedals.

I've got them on my hackbike that I sometimes use with clips but mainly normal shoes. They work a treat.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5 on: 20 March, 2009, 09:10:35 am »
.... ask the LBS ... from what I understand Shimano used to supply a plastic gadget that clipped to an SPD pedal and had reflectors

... apparently to get round the law that says pedals have to have reflectors (which is also why a lot of bikes are sold without pedals : bike shop supplies pedals = reflectors req/owner fits pedals=no reflectors req)

Rob

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #6 on: 20 March, 2009, 09:12:35 am »
You get a set when you buy a pair of SPDs, at least with the Shimano M520's. I think that I gave my last set of spare ones away but I'll check later.

I'm pretty sure you did. ;)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 20 March, 2009, 10:11:35 am »
.... ask the LBS ... from what I understand Shimano used to supply a plastic gadget that clipped to an SPD pedal and had reflectors

... apparently to get round the law that says pedals have to have reflectors (which is also why a lot of bikes are sold without pedals : bike shop supplies pedals = reflectors req/owner fits pedals=no reflectors req)

Rob
Shops do indeed often have them fitted to bikes supplied with SPD pedals:

Wouldn’t recommend using the plastic inserts though as the clip in section is plastic as well, remove or knock them off a couple of times could mean they could also fall off in use.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #8 on: 20 March, 2009, 10:15:43 am »

I'm pretty sure you did. ;)

He's right!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #9 on: 20 March, 2009, 01:49:45 pm »
There's a fundamental problem with them.

The weight of them flips them under the pedal. So riding with them in town is a constant battle trying to flip them just right. You can have mine if you want!  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #10 on: 20 March, 2009, 01:52:44 pm »

I've got them on my hackbike that I sometimes use with clips but mainly normal shoes. They work a treat.

I've got them on the Airnimal. They're good, but it is a bit more awkward to pick up the flat side than the cleat side.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #11 on: 20 March, 2009, 04:24:17 pm »

I've got them on the Airnimal. They're good, but it is a bit more awkward to pick up the flat side than the cleat side.

The 424 pedals are double-sided SPD (or at least the ones I have on my hybrid are) - the cage surround (the black plastic bit) lets you ride with ordinary shoes - the SPD bit being flush with the cage

An excellent compromise

Rob

« Reply #12 on: 20 March, 2009, 06:07:13 pm »

Rob
Shops do indeed often have them fitted to bikes supplied with SPD pedals:

Wouldn’t recommend using the plastic inserts though as the clip in section is plastic as well, remove or knock them off a couple of times could mean they could also fall off in use.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

I agree Paul, the plastic flimsy things as above are not really very reliable and if they fall off as soon as you stand on the pedals it might be a problem.
There was a more robust purpose built thingy in one of the mags recently I was after that, can't remember the name though.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #13 on: 20 March, 2009, 06:09:16 pm »
+1 for the 424

I've put them on my new commuter - and they work fine. Double sided SPD which springs into the cage when you step on with flat shoes.

Zoidburg

« Reply #14 on: 20 March, 2009, 11:26:06 pm »
I run a pair of the cheap aldi SPD/platform ones and for the money they work just fine.

« Reply #15 on: 21 March, 2009, 11:32:31 am »
The ones in C+ were Winwood Decksters.  £29.99.  www.ison-distribution.com  Hope this helps.  Personally I use double sided Shimano pedals, flat one side SPD the other.

« Reply #16 on: 22 March, 2009, 09:47:57 am »
The ones in C+ were Winwood Decksters.  £29.99.  Ison Distribution  Hope this helps.  Personally I use double sided Shimano pedals, flat one side SPD the other.
Thanks Chris, that's the one.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #17 on: 29 March, 2009, 08:58:08 pm »
I have read about home made version using a 2"x3" peice of plywood topped with grip tape one side and SPD cleat screwed on t'other side.

My Lidl two in one pedals usually flip spd side up by default which is a pain when you're cycling in civvies, moreso the one time in ten when they do not do this. 

« Reply #18 on: 31 March, 2009, 04:13:56 pm »
+1 for the 424

I've put them on my new commuter - and they work fine. Double sided SPD which springs into the cage when you step on with flat shoes.

I looked at them for my bike but thought they looked uncomfortable to ride on with normal shoes. How are they? I have the 324 pedals on mine, with one flat and one SPD side.

LEE

« Reply #19 on: 31 March, 2009, 04:22:37 pm »
You're almost certainly going to need planning permission to convert them to flats.

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
« Reply #20 on: 01 April, 2009, 04:15:26 pm »
Oh and there are these: xtreme pro adapters (Roseversand Shop MTB Rennrad Trekkingrad Versand Fahrrad), similar-ish to the Winwood Decksters ... cheaper though ...
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

« Reply #21 on: 04 April, 2009, 10:21:04 am »
Thanks nonsteeler, those adapters gave me an idea.
I drilled 2 holes to fit an old pair of SPD cleats and attached these to a shoe plate on the other side of those disposable shop freebies mentioned above and it works quite well.