Author Topic: Fancy rear light  (Read 1216 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Re: Fancy rear light
« Reply #1 on: 01 October, 2011, 09:21:42 am »
It's an interesting relatively economic way of generating a limited form of animation, but I bet it weighs a fair amount!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #2 on: 02 October, 2011, 10:32:00 am »
Fun!

I suspect one could make a poor man's version without the CAD, and using a couple of ready made lights that have a flashing pattern - I'm thinking that two lights with flashing patterns, set off to run together, might give a relatively random flickering pattern.

This is rather OT, being a motorbike, and not rear lighting exactly, but oh, how cool....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4K-1215Y2FA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/4K-1215Y2FA&rel=1</a>
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #3 on: 02 October, 2011, 10:53:52 am »
Actually, looking again, it's not a random flicker is it, it's a sequence of lights to illuminate each plate. Easy to use a standard light with scrolling function I assume.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: 02 October, 2011, 06:42:24 pm »
Actually, looking again, it's not a random flicker is it, it's a sequence of lights to illuminate each plate. Easy to use a standard light with scrolling function I assume.
Physical alignment of the LEDs to the sheets of acrylic could be difficult just using an off the shelf unit.  I suspect you'd have to dismantle a unit, and mount the LEDs on a short length of wire to adjust their positions.  That would probably still be cheaper and easier than manufacturing the electronics yourself, but fiddly if you're not used to using a soldering iron.
Actually, it is rocket science.