Author Topic: Dahon Espresso - is it any good?  (Read 2880 times)

Dahon Espresso - is it any good?
« on: 01 May, 2009, 09:01:22 am »
A friend at the BUG needs a bike to replace his wobbly wheeled Raleigh 'mtb' heap.
He isn't blessed with much spare cash (wife, kids, mortgage, people carrier). If he had a reliable bike he'd use it for work  and other short rides such as our BUG 10 to 25's.
He likes the look of the Dahon Espresso which Leisure Lakes have on offer.
I have found a couple of on line reviews but thought that this where the reliable cycling knowledge is to be found; so, does anybody know anything about them and especially problems.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Dahon Espresso - is it any good?
« Reply #1 on: 01 May, 2009, 09:40:33 am »
A friend of ours (cycle) commutes regularly on his bike which is one of that type (Espresso, Jack or old-style Cadenza - not sure which).  It's a bit heavier than an equivalent hybrid.  The components are a bit on the cheap side (but then, they would be), but he likes it.

A member of the Fell Club turned up on one to a meet last year.  She liked hers.

Because it's a large wheeled folder, it's a compromise - not going to fold as small as a Brompton or another Dahon, and not as good on the road as a dedicated fixed-frame machine.

So...it depends.  But I wouldn't turn my nose up at it.
Getting there...

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #2 on: 01 May, 2009, 10:57:34 am »
I've got an '07 Cadenza (lockjaw hinge rather than the latch type), which is my regular commute machine. I like it a lot. As Clarion said, they're a compromise, but I've found mine to be a pretty good one. The Espresso should be pretty decent, but if the friend can stretch to a Cadenza, the spec's a bit higher (Ritchey handlebar, Tiagra rear mech, lighter as well). Rutland Cycling are selling Espressos in large frame size only for £199 on eBay.

« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2009, 07:21:48 am »
have you considered the DAHON JACK model?

this is the next model up - slightly better components but with 7 gears only - not really a problem.

« Reply #4 on: 15 May, 2009, 08:52:13 am »
have you considered the DAHON JACK model?

this is the next model up - slightly better components but with 7 gears only - not really a problem.

Thanks Alfie

I'll pass that information on. Seven gears would be ample for what he needs.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: 15 May, 2009, 09:06:08 am »
I've got an '07 Cadenza (lockjaw hinge rather than the latch type), which is my regular commute machine. I like it a lot. As Clarion said, they're a compromise, but I've found mine to be a pretty good one. The Espresso should be pretty decent, but if the friend can stretch to a Cadenza, the spec's a bit higher (Ritchey handlebar, Tiagra rear mech, lighter as well). Rutland Cycling are selling Espressos in large frame size only for £199 on eBay.

I had one of those for a bit (Cadenza) but I had trouble with the fold - have you had any trouble with yours (I ask as otherwise I thought this was a great bike)

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #6 on: 15 May, 2009, 09:49:39 am »
I had one of those for a bit (Cadenza) but I had trouble with the fold - have you had any trouble with yours (I ask as otherwise I thought this was a great bike)

Funnily enough, needed a new hinge put on this year, part of the upper one had broken. Wasn't a safety risk as luckily I don't actually fold it very often. No other problems, thankfully.