Author Topic: Strange commuting bike  (Read 2191 times)

richie_b

Strange commuting bike
« on: 30 April, 2008, 11:46:35 pm »
Up here, there seems to have been a huge increase in bike usage this week.  I like to think that it's folk thinking how they'd respond to the shortage of oil that's gonna come in the next few years, rather than it being folk panicking after reading the Daily Wail/Daily Record/ watching the Beeb.....

Anyhoooo.....

I parked my bike this morning next to a bike that had not been there yesterday (I say bike, but it was a 5 speed, dual suspension thing that prob weighed more than me (whether it is/was a worse ride is a different thread, OK?))  There was something odd about it, but I didn't click what it was for a while...
I suddenly realised that the bike had no chain.
So the question arises: how did the bike end up locked to a Sheffield stand with a decent lock?
Elaborate theft prevention?
Or wondering why pedalling doesn't make the bike go faster on the way to work?
Or  is there another reason that could explain this that I've missed....

Re: Strange commuting bike
« Reply #1 on: 30 April, 2008, 11:50:14 pm »
Was it a shaft drive? Sounds like it wasn't though from your description.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #2 on: 01 May, 2008, 06:31:54 am »
It could very well be a shaft drive like Polar Bear suggest.
There are a few companies that make them now,
is it this one from Dynamic  ???

richie_b

« Reply #3 on: 01 May, 2008, 09:45:43 pm »
No, it wasn't a shaft drive.  It was a 15sp dérailleur.
There was no chain tho.  Which in my experience makes the dérailleur system somewhat inefficient.
Which is why I thought it was a strange bike to commute on...

« Reply #4 on: 02 May, 2008, 11:03:48 am »
There was a bicycle chain lying in the middle of the road in Fulham the other day.

Maybe his chain snapped near work so he pushed it the final bit and was off to the bike shop during lunch to get a new chain and a chain tool.

On the other hand, the cynic in me says that it's a cunning tactic from thieves to make the owner leave it overnight so they can go to work on it.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #5 on: 03 May, 2008, 01:10:43 am »
Chains a bit slack :thumbsup:

Oh come on, someone had too! ;D
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Zoidburg

« Reply #6 on: 04 May, 2008, 09:18:23 pm »
Be glad of the cheapie full sus jobbie

You can leave a perfectly good entry level road bike in the rack and every time  the chav scum will go for the cheap suspension bike next to it

donpedro

• ain`t haulin` any lambs to the marketplace anymore
    • But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #7 on: 05 May, 2008, 08:55:38 am »
Probably just lost it! When I worked in a bikeshop we had a lot of new bikes that came back due to bad rivets on the Shimano chains. The special rivets needed is a bit fidly and hard to know if it's to install properly.
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."