Author Topic: LEL - Nutella?  (Read 4511 times)

Angstbremser

• Zwei Minuten einwirken lassen
  • not the nature of Audax
LEL - Nutella?
« on: 29 June, 2009, 09:02:41 pm »
Good evening!

I am currently packing a first batch of items to send ahead and the question somehow came to mind: Are there any chances that Nutella will be available at LEL controls? I usually carry some Nutella-enhanced waybread for moral support during the darkest hours of the ride.

Ciao, Gernot

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Nutella?
« Reply #1 on: 29 June, 2009, 09:08:09 pm »
Try L Hedley - she's running one of the controls.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

L Hedley

• "Bring it on"
« Reply #2 on: 29 June, 2009, 10:59:12 pm »
Try L Hedley - she's running one of the controls.

Ha, did someone mention my name? Yes, I can do some special requests and would be happy to ensure you have some nutella.  Let me know and I will get some in. You can have a special supply with your name on (at uk price) that you ask for at Coxwold. Or I can get it in for all but you may run the risk it's gone before you get here.

The only problem I now face is my Cook has withdrawn and i may not have the master chef to spread it on the bread for you  ;)
Not just a cyclist's wife!

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #3 on: 30 June, 2009, 01:00:37 pm »
I'd certainly bring it with you as probably most British people (if they've heard of it ) think it's some kind of chocolate spread and therefore a luxury rather than the secret behind Italian sporting success. We generally bring back a 4kg Easter special jar but missed out on going this this year.

While Nutella is available in UK supermarkets I wouldn't want to promise that what's sold here is the same as is available in Italy as some European food manufacturers make special (added sugar/fat,  lower-cost ingredient) versions of popular european foodstuffs for the specific tastes of the British market.

I have a local jar here. It's claiming Sugar, Vegetable oil, 13% hazelnuts, 7.4% fat-reduced cocoa

55% sugar
31% fat
6.8% protein

530 calories per 100g.

Hope this helps

Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 30 June, 2009, 01:53:49 pm »
The last jar of Nutella I bought from Sainsbury's online was £2.79 for 750g, about 3 weeks ago. Sadly this whopping treat has disappeared from their website.

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #5 on: 30 June, 2009, 03:20:33 pm »
I've just  realised there is more than any mortal needs to know - including how it varies from place to place at :

Nutella - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

L Hedley

• "Bring it on"
« Reply #6 on: 30 June, 2009, 04:10:33 pm »
I've just  realised there is more than any mortal needs to know - including how it varies from place to place at :

I can get some from France in the next fortnight if that is better.

Angstbremser

« Reply #7 on: 01 July, 2009, 09:23:01 am »
Good morning!

I did not want to send people around Europe shopping for me. I merely asked if it would be available anyway. I will send a couple of 30g packs with my drop bag.

Thanks nevertheless
Gernot

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #8 on: 01 July, 2009, 09:32:39 am »

You can learn more about the details of the Nutella supply chain in the judgment in the world's largest ever nut fraud case, if you really want:
http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/Ch/2009/1276.html
Not especially helpful or mature

Angstbremser

« Reply #9 on: 01 July, 2009, 09:33:35 am »
While we are discussing food related questions...

On my rides I often feed on these: Wikipedia - Lye roll. I have not been to English supermarkets/bakeries lately. Are these generally know and/or available?

Ciao, Gernot

L Hedley

• "Bring it on"
« Reply #10 on: 01 July, 2009, 11:15:33 am »
Good morning!

I did not want to send people around Europe shopping for me. I merely asked if it would be available anyway. I will send a couple of 30g packs with my drop bag.

Thanks nevertheless
Gernot

Hey, it's no problem, honestly, we aim to please at Coxwold. I love the stuff too and found the stuff you buy in France so much nicer so I will be getting some anyway.  As to the Lye Rolls, never seen those here before, I am interested to try them now, they sound tasty.  You may be able to find them in a specailist bakers in London but I have never seen them in supermarkets, never even seen soft pretzels here too. 

« Reply #11 on: 01 July, 2009, 11:27:37 am »
Nutella - spawn of the Devil !!!!

only my opinion of course.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #12 on: 01 July, 2009, 01:23:06 pm »

Despite being French, I can't make the difference between British and French Nutella; if I were you, I wouldn't bother!!!

By the way, yes I would definitely enjoy some Nutella!!!!
Chief cat entertainer.

L Hedley

• "Bring it on"
« Reply #13 on: 01 July, 2009, 02:44:20 pm »

Despite being French, I can't make the difference between British and French Nutella; if I were you, I wouldn't bother!!!

By the way, yes I would definitely enjoy some Nutella!!!!

umm, so would I, makes a lovely sauce on ice cream!   :P