Author Topic: Seatposts and stems  (Read 2347 times)

Jakob

Seatposts and stems
« on: 02 May, 2008, 03:13:12 pm »
So, I got a brand new (steel) frame and about to mount new seatpost and stem.
Do you use a little bit of grease to prevent them getting stuck?.

Re: Seatposts and stems
« Reply #1 on: 02 May, 2008, 03:16:37 pm »
Yes. If it's a quill stem put plenty of grease around the top of the steerer, on the inside, to try to prevent water ingress.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2 on: 02 May, 2008, 03:18:55 pm »
A bit of copperslip (or similar) grease on a seatpost will help no end when you come to remove/re-adjust the seatpost at a later date (trust me I have learnt my lesson from NOT doing this :) )
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Jakob

« Reply #3 on: 02 May, 2008, 03:27:40 pm »
Thank you :)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 02 May, 2008, 03:46:15 pm »
Unless said seat post is carbon.  Greasing carbon seat posts is widely held, notably by manufacturers of carbon seat posts, to be a Bad Thing.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5 on: 02 May, 2008, 03:47:41 pm »
Unless said seat post is carbon.  Greasing carbon seat posts is widely held, notably by manufacturers of carbon seat posts, to be a Bad Thing.

Unless it is with the manufacturer's own "carbon grease" or prep compund which is little more than grease with fine sand in it....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Dave

« Reply #6 on: 02 May, 2008, 04:01:38 pm »

Carbon seatpost + lithium grease + Spesh Rockhopper alu frame = jammed seatpost + swearing + hacksaw + swearing + blood + swearing + a trip to the skip + the purchase of a brand new steel Cotic Soul frame.

(So, some good came out of it afterall :thumbsup:)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #7 on: 02 May, 2008, 04:08:42 pm »
So, I got a brand new (steel) frame and about to mount new seatpost and stem.
Do you use a little bit of grease to prevent them getting stuck?.

Yes for metal seatposts and quill stems.   Seizure may not be so likely with anodised parts, but still I wouldn't feel happy about fitting them dry.  Grease also adds some water resistance and helps to prevent creaks.

Copper antiseize is good except it is messy and stains things.  This might be an issue when raising your stem or seatpost.  If using ordinary grease, you can just redo it every year or so to keep it fesh.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

miguel

« Reply #8 on: 05 May, 2008, 09:33:44 am »
Copper slip is even more nastytoxic than grease, avoid coming into contact with either.

Quill stem; smear of grease around the inside of the steerer, between the wedge and stem, on the expander bolt thread as it goes into the wedge and underneath the bolt head and washer.

Pete

« Reply #9 on: 05 May, 2008, 10:10:22 am »
I read somewhere (probably on one of the forums) that Lithium grease is a no-no anywhere for this purpose.  Instead I have an old tin of bog-standard car grease dating from way back in the 1970s, it's served me well through the decades and I'm still only half way through it.  Seems to do what's required, anyway.

Don't forget also pedal threads.  I've had plenty of grief with those, when I've forgotten.  Also crank tapers.  Or is this last more controversial - some authorities say no, no grease...?

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 05 May, 2008, 12:07:29 pm »
....Yes that last one is very controversial and always results in arguments, and isn't necessarily to do with preventing seizure anyway.  I hope we can save the arguments for another thread and another day.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●