Author Topic: Meaningful music  (Read 1372 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Meaningful music
« on: 01 May, 2008, 08:25:40 am »
During my life there has always been music.

Some of it means nothing to me, some however just strikes the right note(be it the time and place, or just the music "speaking to me").  So in the spirit of compiling lists of particular music (as per other threads on here), here are the ones that mean a lot to me, and why:

1) Stay Forever - Ween, this is "our song" for me and Mrs T, our first dance as man and wife was to this
2) The Truth - Clawfinger, from a time when I was surrounded by liars
3) Nothing Else Matters - Metallica, still one of their best, from a time when they were still good (possibly their last decent album)
4) Fear & Love - Morcheeba, just because of the line "Fear will stop you loving, Love will stop the fear"
5) Rome Wasn't Built In a Day - Morcheeba, from a time when life was much more complex than now.

How about your lists?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
Re: Meaningful music
« Reply #1 on: 01 May, 2008, 08:33:15 am »
Protect and Survive - Runrig
Only the Brave - Runrig
Ar Ceol Ar Canan - Oi Polloi
Solas na Maidne - Sunrise Not Secular
Sona - Runrig
Teuchstar - The Peatbog Faeries

:)

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
Re: Meaningful music
« Reply #2 on: 01 May, 2008, 06:45:04 pm »
Music with a meaning to me?
"Yma o Hyd", Dafydd Iwan and Ar Log
"Can y Bugail", Mabsant
"Sunderland Boys", Lindisfarne
"Mor o Gariad", Meic Stevens
"Öppna upp ditt fönster" Lisa Ekdahl

Edit: I posted the above at work and had to be quick, so here's some explanations. Three of the songs relate to hiraeth, one to my long time on the dole, and one to a tour of Sweden with a recently-deceased and dearly loved friend. One is yearning, two are defiant, one is sweet and one is incredibly sad.