Author Topic: Getting to Forfar (Pitlochry 200K)  (Read 7515 times)

Re: Getting to Forfar (Pitlochry 200K)
« Reply #25 on: 07 August, 2009, 01:45:45 pm »
Eck , no more cheese biscuits for you.
E fixd , the avatar at the moment is the Raptobike.
Nice one , I would like to try a low racer and dont worry about the climbing you will pass them all on the flats and downhills.

I'm certainly not expecting to pass anyone going uphill. It's a serious ordeal!  :o

Still, I only got the bike on Wednesday, although I spent a week with a demo one from David at LaidBack in Edinburgh. She's looking pretty slick (with apologies for the eBay chav stickers, but I needed to put *something* there):

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #26 on: 08 August, 2009, 04:31:13 pm »
Yes thats the one I was going to try to compare with the high racer I have .
Nice looking tail box, carry loads of stuff in there.
See you sunday next.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #27 on: 08 August, 2009, 05:47:54 pm »
Nice looking tail box, carry loads of stuff in there.
Plenty of room for cheesy biscuits in there.  :thumbsup: ;)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #28 on: 15 August, 2009, 02:30:16 pm »
Hi   Now we all know how to get to Forfar,  how about places to stuff ones face as it looks like a  slog on the way out to loch Tummel

« Reply #29 on: 15 August, 2009, 02:36:25 pm »
Hi   Now we all know how to get to Forfar,  how about places to stuff ones face as it looks like a  slog on the way out to loch Tummel

Before the off?  Bring something with you as few places in Forfar will be open (McDonalds for breakfast anyone?  :sick:)

During the ride, the route to Pitlochry is not too strenuous, and there is a control at the Boathouse Cafe which is good, and does a full range of rolls, soup etc. which will get you to the next control at the Cafe at Rannoch.  You could also stop in Pitlochry before climbing Moulin if you need more food, and there is also another cafe control just after the descent of Moulin on the return leg, at Kirkmichael.  That do you?  ;) ;D

« Reply #30 on: 15 August, 2009, 02:40:50 pm »
Hi again   Will be camping so looking for good  food on Saturday

« Reply #31 on: 15 August, 2009, 02:48:24 pm »
There are loads of take away places - Indian, Chinese, Fish and Chips, Pizza, etc - in the town centre.

Also a selection of restaurants - Italian, Turkish, Indian, Chinese, Pub grub - in the town centre.

Further afield outside Forfar there are many good places to eat within a few miles...

What kind of thing you looking for and I could maybe recommend somewhere, or tell you where NOT to go!

« Reply #32 on: 15 August, 2009, 02:53:28 pm »
Hi  Looks like pasta party required

« Reply #33 on: 15 August, 2009, 03:04:26 pm »
There is an Italian restaurant in the town centre in East High Street, right beside the pedestrian crossing.  But I seem to have forgotten what it's called  ???  The last time I was there it was very good, but I have since heard comments regarding the menu having been severely reduced...

Or you could try Chapter and Verse pub in Castle Street, owned by the same people as the Italian, as they have a fairly extensive menu which should include pasta.  And probably larger portions!  I haven't eaten there for ages so don't know if it's any good but it seems popular - I usually go to the Turkish just over the road from it if I am out in Forfar. 

Or if you head out of town to Kookaburra's restaurant (out the Arbroath Road, just past the golf club) they do pasta, large portions guaranteed. 

If you had arrived earlier you could have got a few macaroni pies fae Cameron's in Castle Street  ;D

« Reply #34 on: 15 August, 2009, 03:27:02 pm »
Thanks  will try the pub first

recumbentim

« Reply #35 on: 16 August, 2009, 08:40:42 pm »
Might as well use this thread to thank Audave for an excellent Audaux,
Well organised start and finish and great route.
The wind was a bit draining going out , but great fun coming back.
The mid piont control cafe got a lot of comments,It was like entering a Deliverance film and very weird. How can take an Hour to get a plate of soup???
 Well done  to edin fixed on that machine , You are converted to the Dark Side Now, No going Back?

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #36 on: 16 August, 2009, 09:16:20 pm »
Aye, xrt got in before me. Big thanks to audave for another smoothly run couple of events.  :thumbsup:
Agree with the comments about the caff at Kinloch Rannoch. ISTR it calls itself Post Taste: can they be prosecuted for misleading puns? Valkyrie "enjoyed" coffee and cheesecake, followed by soup.  ???

Hope the rider who was reported to have had an accident early on, getting her arm broken, is otherwise ok.

I'm informed that the 100k ride was well supported by a goodly number of nameless individuals from another a different cycling forum - which is nice.  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #37 on: 16 August, 2009, 10:46:57 pm »
My thanks too, an enjoyable event. Went off too fast into that wind and paid for it. Great run back though and loads of calories back at the scout hut.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #38 on: 16 August, 2009, 10:57:40 pm »
Had a good day - cheers audave  :thumbsup:

The bike shop in Pitlochry thanks you too  :P (Actually they were very friendly & let me use their track pump).

« Reply #39 on: 17 August, 2009, 12:53:51 am »
Thanks to all for making the effort to come to Forfar and make the events a success.
Over the two events there was a total of 67 entries with 59 turning up on the day :thumbsup: a record number for my events.
34 on the Pitlochry 200, and 25 on the Lethnot and Lunan 100.

I've emailed Alan to see how Anne is doing after her unfortunate accident at Ballinluig, and will hopefully find out soon.

Thanks again to all

Dave   

Graeme Wyllie

« Reply #40 on: 17 August, 2009, 12:22:06 pm »
That was grand - excellent event Dave, this now has to be up there with the Saltire perm as my favourite 200k.  Pleasant route, quiet roads that I dont ride on too often and not too many lumps/bumps.   

I can definitely recommend the Pitlochry bike shop as a "stamp n go" option (it gets you to Kinloch Rannoch before the rush!).  Belting along the final stretch to Kirrie with Peekay at 40 kph was also especially fun.   

Thanks to Eck for the curry, beer, cider, rosé and red wine  steamed fish and vegetables on saturday evening - perfect preparation.  Also to Valkyrie for the lift home and a musical trip down memory lane (half man half biscuit - FFS!!  :thumbsup:). 

Just magic. 

« Reply #41 on: 17 August, 2009, 05:22:33 pm »
Thanks all for a great day - it was good to christen the lowracer on the open road (although I'm glad I had Tim's company on the dark side :) )

Was it just me or is the Pitlochry 200k essentially a continuous gradual downhill with the odd sharp climb? According to my Garmin I managed to average over 21mph for the whole last hour... with 180km already in my legs! Inspired route planning if you ask me - I wouldn't have liked to finish into the kind of headwind we had on the way out...

So, I need to find myself the next event now...

recumbentim

« Reply #42 on: 17 August, 2009, 06:23:56 pm »

So, I need to find myself the next event now...

HOOKED ?

« Reply #43 on: 17 August, 2009, 09:58:44 pm »
Thanks all for a great day - it was good to christen the lowracer on the open road (although I'm glad I had Tim's company on the dark side :) )
Was it just me or is the Pitlochry 200k essentially a continuous gradual downhill.
Arr that be the tail wind that created that illusion :)
I've had the wind against me going coming off the moors and down to Kirmichael and its hard work as is Glen Isla in a head wind,
then the uphills start  outnumbering  the downs.
Still a tail wind on the way home is ideal and there were some good finish times recorded.

« Reply #44 on: 17 August, 2009, 10:37:51 pm »
Got an email from Alan Rogers, Anne probably being kept in PRI ward 8 for a couple of days.
There was a whip round later on at the finish and I'll send some flowers when she gets home.