Author Topic: Cateye Astrale 8  (Read 1038 times)

Cateye Astrale 8
« on: 28 September, 2009, 01:17:02 am »
My computer is broken  :'( 

The button on the front, which switches it from speed to cadence, or is used in conjunction with the button on the top to zero the thing, has stopped working.  I pulled the rubber off the other evening and found that it's actually the switch that seems to have moved off the circuit board somehow... but as it's a sealed unit I can't get in.  As a result I could only reset it before the last Audax with a full reset; and as a result ended up getting confused by riding with it showing KM instead of miles (although cruising along at a steady "35" did give me a warm glow ::-)).

Looking on the web they still seem to be retailing at £25, which is good as that's what I paid some 5 years ago.  BUT... the cateye site linky states "now with a larger display and new design. "

1) Does this mean that a new head unit won't fit on my existing bracket, and I'll have to re-wire the bike?

2) Anybody got a recommendation of a good CHEAP place to buy this (if my LBS is out of stock)

3) Anybody got one in good condition they aren't using any more  ;) O:-)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Cateye Astrale 8
« Reply #1 on: 28 September, 2009, 01:25:05 am »
This doesn't help much, Nutty, but the words "Cateye" and "Astrale" give a very early visual impression of the word "Castrate". When seen on the same post as "Nutty" and "fettle" you can understand why, for a moment, I was worried for you.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2 on: 28 September, 2009, 01:36:45 am »
I was going to respond with "Enough already!"

but the spell chequer kicked in...

Eunuch already!

« Reply #3 on: 28 September, 2009, 08:21:29 am »
From experience (Mity and Endura user) the head of the mounting kits seems to work with old and newer models.

What I have found with the newer models though is that the crescent-shaped MODE switch begins to stick after a couple of years.    Otherwise an excellent bit of kit.