Author Topic: PP9 batteries - the best?  (Read 2799 times)

PP9 batteries - the best?
« on: 02 October, 2009, 10:17:24 am »

Need a couple of PP9 batteries for smoke alarms.

Any recommendations? If it was for an alarm clock I would just use anything but I would like the best for this kind of use.

Thanks.

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
Re: PP9 batteries - the best?
« Reply #1 on: 02 October, 2009, 10:22:15 am »
I think you mean PP3.  PP9 are huuuuuge.

Since smoke alarms are extremely low drain appliances, there's no sense in fitting Duracells or whatever - a non-alkaline branded battery should be fine.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

« Reply #2 on: 02 October, 2009, 10:24:29 am »
As long as you get into the habit of testing it regularly (as the instructions say) then any battery will be fine. If you don't bother testing it then it doesn't matter what battery you use, one day it'll run out.

That or use rechargeables and change them regularly, well before they'd run out of juice.

Most good smoke alarms will emit an annoying beep once a minute when the battery is getting low. This usually lasts about a week before the battery is completely dead, so remember to check them when you come back from holiday.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #3 on: 02 October, 2009, 10:30:57 am »
As long as you get into the habit of testing it regularly (as the instructions say) then any battery will be fine. If you don't bother testing it then it doesn't matter what battery you use, one day it'll run out.

That or use rechargeables and change them regularly, well before they'd run out of juice.

Most good smoke alarms will emit an annoying beep once a minute when the battery is getting low. This usually lasts about a week before the battery is completely dead, so remember to check them when you come back from holiday.

The annoying beep started this morning. Glad this is how they work because I never test them, apart from when I burn the toast.

Thanks all.

« Reply #4 on: 02 October, 2009, 10:56:35 am »
Ours in the hallway gets tested most nights.
The kids are trained to know that when it goes off their evening meal is nearly ready....  ;D

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 02 October, 2009, 04:44:43 pm »
a non-alkaline branded battery should be fine.

Should that be non-branded alkaline ? ;- )

Anyway - what about one of these -
Lithium PP3 10 year life

when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Zoidburg

« Reply #6 on: 02 October, 2009, 04:47:13 pm »
10 years?

Would you be able to remember ten years down the line to replace it?

I would replace them every year as a matter of course, that lithium PP3 looks like a solution to a non existent problem.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 03 October, 2009, 12:15:11 pm »
I think lithium is actually an ideal solution because if its long shelf life.  Smoke alarms usually tell you when the battery is low, by chirping once a minute.

Rechargeables are hopeless in this application, as they will self-discharge within months.  Even the hybrid ones won't last long enough to avoid the annoyance factor.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: 03 October, 2009, 01:00:49 pm »
I got a load of those Ultralife lithiums off Fleabay.  The price seemed too good to be true so I wondered if they really were lithium - but actually they're lasting fine so far in my smoke alarms.

Some alarms issued by local authorities come with a non-replaceable 10-year lithium battery.  They probably assume the elderly householder will die before the battery!

Alkalines are fine if you don't mind climbling the step ladder every year or so.  Look for supermarket offers.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●