Author Topic: Binge Cycling  (Read 2332 times)

Binge Cycling
« on: 25 October, 2009, 07:27:52 pm »
I paid a rare visit to my GP the other day about a small lump in my hand that's now gone away.  While I was there I thought I'd take the opportunity to mention my weak knees which have never been the same since I over-trained in 1986 while preparing for a marathon - it was silly really, but at least they still work and I can cycle. 

I explained to the Doc that I don't cycle much due to other commitments, but when I do then my knees can often be a problem, I offered a recent 60 mile ride as an example.  His (sound) advise was that at my age (52) I should be cycling little and often in order to build the capcity for longer rides.  He advised that binge cycling (no activity, training or prep and then a long hard ride) will only ever cause me problems.

I'm OK with all of this, it was just the term that got to me - BINGE CYCLING ! :o.  It would seem that like binge drinking, binge cycling is a health problem.

OK, so I need to get out more.  But just checking, do you see yourself as binge cyclist ?

simonp

Re: Binge Cycling
« Reply #1 on: 25 October, 2009, 07:31:03 pm »
My first 200 was on the back of 2 weeks preparation.

so, yes.

However I'm much better now at building up mileage - for instance I had a good progression of monthly mileage in the build up to LEL.

You shouldn't be increasing mileage by more than something like 10% per week iirc.  Obviously for really big events such as a 600 you have to accept that this rule is open to "interpretation".

Fi

« Reply #2 on: 25 October, 2009, 07:33:46 pm »
I stopped binge cycling when I discovered the truth of your doc's advice. It's the same with "binge gardening", which is why, I understand, physios and osteopaths are very busy in the Spring

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 25 October, 2009, 07:34:02 pm »
I should reckon Audax UK contains many fifty-somethings who do a long brevet with minimal mileage the previous week.
Most don't suffer medical problems as a result if the ride is less than about 600km.

Chris S

« Reply #4 on: 25 October, 2009, 07:34:17 pm »
Hmm... lets see:

Example of Binge Drinking:
Me: Oooh... my head
Them: Heavy weekend?
Me: At least four bottles of Red...
Them: *stern look*

Example of Binge Cycling:
Me: Oooh... my knees
Them: Heavy weekend?
Me: I cycled 375 miles
Them: *stern look*

Works for me  :thumbsup:.

My name is Chris, and I'm a Binge Cyclist.

« Reply #5 on: 25 October, 2009, 07:36:03 pm »
No, I ride at least 6 days a week and build up carefully to longer rides, that's 200km or more. I am in a permanent state of ready for anything shorter.

alan

« Reply #6 on: 25 October, 2009, 08:21:00 pm »
ATM i am cerainly in the binge bracket.Hoping to regain  the little & often habit then extend the mileage,then increase the average kmh.

alan

« Reply #7 on: 25 October, 2009, 08:21:48 pm »
No, I ride at least 6 days a week and build up carefully to longer rides, that's 200km or more. I am in a permanent state of ready for anything shorter.

That'll be DEFCON 2 then :thumbsup:

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: 25 October, 2009, 08:30:56 pm »
I think I have got the cycling pretty much under control.  ;)

« Reply #9 on: 25 October, 2009, 08:35:07 pm »
I think I have got the cycling pretty much under control.  ;)

Same here. And a young family to reconcile with work during the week as well! When the family's away I have "heavy" WEs, running an cycling; otherwise it is not possible. I am lucky that I have a long commute at present to keep me fit.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 25 October, 2009, 09:31:29 pm »
I can handle it. ;D

I need a shot of cycling every morning during the week, but I lay off it a bit at the weekend, mostly. ;)
Getting there...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 26 October, 2009, 12:36:22 pm »
I should reckon Audax UK contains many fifty-somethings who do a long brevet with minimal mileage the previous week.
Most don't suffer medical problems as a result if the ride is less than about 600km.

(Most would ride a fair few miles in the preceeding month!)

The reason there aren't more problems in that demographic is probably that they know their limits, so pace themselves on the longer rides. Just turning down the wick 10% probably allows a huge increase in distance-doable-without-injury.

Wheras 60 miles ridden (nearly) flat out could easily produce problems if you're not well conditioned. It's like alcohol - you build up a tolerance!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #12 on: 26 October, 2009, 02:48:22 pm »

It's like alcohol - you build up a tolerance!

I am more likely to commit to binge cycling when I have been binge drinking. 
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Chris S

« Reply #13 on: 26 October, 2009, 03:05:49 pm »

It's like alcohol - you build up a tolerance!

I am more likely to commit to binge cycling when I have been binge drinking. 

Ewwww... I've tried binge cycling with a hangover. It's Unpleasant...  :sick:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #14 on: 26 October, 2009, 03:09:51 pm »
I used to find that a brisk ride was a rather effective hangover cure.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

alan

« Reply #15 on: 26 October, 2009, 04:18:30 pm »
I think I have got the cycling pretty much under control.  ;)

I suggest you seek a second opinion mate ;)

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #16 on: 27 October, 2009, 01:44:45 pm »
I'm guilty of doing this too - although anything up to 60/70 miles is generally not a problem - really need to get into the habit of a couple of mid-week 20-30 mile runs.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)