Author Topic: Student branding  (Read 1550 times)

Student branding
« on: 27 October, 2009, 04:36:17 pm »
BBC NEWS | England | Devon | Students burned in branding caper

I was going to suggest a Darwin Award for this, but luckily they didn;t kill themelves.
Join the  Marines or the Paras or something, and get yourself a tattoo because you are HARD.
But int he name of the Wee Man - branding your Hall of Residence?

Re: Student branding
« Reply #1 on: 27 October, 2009, 04:37:54 pm »
Students + Booze = comedy news stories in October, November and December
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2 on: 27 October, 2009, 04:54:42 pm »
Doesn't even need alcohol.  You'd be amazed at what students will get up to even when relatively sober.  Peer pressure is very powerful.  Halls of residence are a great way of helping students to live not quite on their own, but large groups of 18-22 year olds often do things that were 'a good idea at the time'.

« Reply #3 on: 27 October, 2009, 09:02:55 pm »
"[P]ermanently scarred"? Isn't that the point? What did they expect, that it'd wash off?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4 on: 27 October, 2009, 11:18:39 pm »
It was the hall of residence they lived in last year. Showing allegiance to something you've moved on from.

I'd love to know what non-subjects they hope to get degrees in.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5 on: 28 October, 2009, 12:46:49 am »
It was the hall of residence they lived in last year. Showing allegiance to something you've moved on from.

IIf they were from the Hall of Residence in the picture they were, in my day at least, a little odd.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #6 on: 28 October, 2009, 08:58:29 am »
At some US universities there is a fraternity whose members are exclusively African-American (Afro-Carribean in UK parlance).  Part of the initiation into this fraternity involves branding.  Just google 'fraternity branding'.

Oh, the irony.  ::-)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #7 on: 28 October, 2009, 10:38:08 am »

I'd love to know what non-subjects they hope to get degrees in.

You may laugh, but ostensibly clevah people can be just as bad.

My year had its first halls of residence in 1999, and there's a group of guys now aged between 28 and 30, who are still known as {Group nickname removed to spare blushes and google hits}.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 28 October, 2009, 10:43:19 am »
At some US universities there is a fraternity whose members are exclusively African-American (Afro-Carribean in UK parlance).  Part of the initiation into this fraternity involves branding.  Just google 'fraternity branding'.

Oh, the irony.  ::-)

I think I'd rather stick to a good, old-fashioned frat paddling myself...

::-)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #9 on: 28 October, 2009, 10:58:39 am »
I think I'd rather stick to a good, old-fashioned frat paddling myself...

::-)

I bought a canoe about 10 years ago. Wanted some decent canoe paddles for it.

So I googled on 'wooden paddles'.  omg the blushes.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #10 on: 28 October, 2009, 11:04:40 am »
When the internet was young, and users were foolish, the Torygraph devoted a whole page to the story of a mother who in attempting to help her daughter with her homework (a book review) had googled "Little Women."

;D

« Reply #11 on: 28 October, 2009, 12:09:56 pm »
A conservation officer with the EA was trying to demonstrate the value of the internet for research. During a presentation, they googled on 'Sheep' and 'holes'. Their laptop was linked to the projector . . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #12 on: 28 October, 2009, 05:46:49 pm »
My year had its first halls of residence in 1999, and there's a group of guys now aged between 28 and 30, who are still known as {Group nickname removed to spare blushes and google hits}.
Spoilsport.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897