Author Topic: chaingang/paceline which side do you pull out?  (Read 1491 times)

EMnut

• 30 inches and lower
chaingang/paceline which side do you pull out?
« on: 16 September, 2015, 12:28:43 pm »
Joined our local club for a new chain gang ride last night, which was fun, but we need to try and fix some basic rules.

There seemed to be some differences in opinion on how to ride a chain-gang with a single line. Some riders think its best to for the main group to ride wide, and then the leader peels off left into the road side. I've never done this myself, always peeled off to the right (checking traffic is clear first). Given that this ride is for mixed abilities, I think keeping things simple is probably safer, so not sure about changing the direction riders peel off when the wind direction changes. I'd be interested to see what other groups on here do?

Do you ride wide and peel off left, or peel off into the road after checking the road is clear?

Re: chaingang/paceline which side do you pull out?
« Reply #1 on: 16 September, 2015, 12:55:21 pm »
On open roads with traffic I think it's possibly safer for the lead to pull off inside.  Though if it's short intervals, so that several riders are drifting back, I think it would be less of a problem.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2 on: 16 September, 2015, 12:58:11 pm »
Ideally, you rotate in the direction that keeps the resting line sheltered from the wind.  Generally round here, we rotate anticlockwise like you say.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 16 September, 2015, 02:44:26 pm »
Pull off to the outside.

Cos otherwise the group will have to ride ridiculously wide (given the roads I know you're using), for there to be usable and hazard-free tarmac to peel off into on the left.

[you may sometimes be a group of two. In this scenario you will be riding single-file 95% of the time, or more. Seems daft to ride an extra "rider width" out.]

I know you're "supposed" to take the wind into account, but as you say, this adds a big extra layer of complexity for beginners.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #5 on: 16 September, 2015, 04:09:09 pm »
From a couple off posts above - surely the resting line shelters the faster line from the wind?

EMnut

• 30 inches and lower
« Reply #6 on: 16 September, 2015, 05:59:08 pm »
Outside is my thought Matt, as we are on the same roads as DPCC, it makes sense to take our cue from what you do (thats my opinion anyway)
I've seen that BC video, and can see that a circular chain gang might go faster, but I doubt if the riders in our group have that level of skill.
Given out clubs relatively free of rules ethos, if we are going to have some rule, keeping them simple seems key

« Reply #7 on: 16 September, 2015, 06:47:54 pm »
I was in the same group as Emnut and cut my teeth with MattC at DPCC.
It was fun having a go at a rotating paceline but also think it's complex and not without hazard in a more casual club without any sporting pretentious.
I do think the Didcot pursuit style would be better suited.  It's easier to learn, requires less communication and is generally more relaxing.  The rider on the front does as long a turn as they are happy with, pulls out and drops back.  No coordination required other than the actions of the lead rider, they decide when to pull out and decide when to pull onto the back of the line.  If you need to ride single file suddenly, there is only one rider to accommodate (if they are dropping back).  It also makes for a quieter ride!
It's enough to get people disciplined well enough to ride fast together in a tight line.

We are also riding in the dark and often wet conditions now .... Which is suboptimal for close high speed coordinated riding.