Author Topic: PBP - How much do you carry on the road?  (Read 19512 times)

Re: PBP - How much do you carry on the road?
« Reply #50 on: 21 February, 2010, 04:49:14 pm »
You could also bring a sign that says "I'm only sleeping", in French, of course. Maybe write down the time you went to sleep and want to be awake on it too.

I kind of recognize the sleeping trouble though. I don't sleep well in noise (snoring) or cold, or with earplugs(I tried them all). The pressure on my ears is annoying.
The best sleep I got on LEL was in Coxwold, both times while it was light outside, so it was quiet there. I will strongly consider bringing a (waterproof in Britain) sleeping bag on future long rides. I don't intend to sleep on a 600.
Good sleep isn't necessary though, just 3 bad hours will get me through the day as well, although one should not expect me to actually think in any way.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #51 on: 21 February, 2010, 04:57:08 pm »
and 2007:

Don't forget your picture of this idiot (who is sleeping 6" away from the steps into the main hall at Brest):
http://fotoalbum.dds.nl/ivo_m/pbp2007/thumbnail/IMGP3857.jpg
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #52 on: 21 February, 2010, 05:24:56 pm »
and 2007:

Don't forget your picture of this idiot (who is sleeping 6" away from the steps into the main hall at Brest):

Also available in larger size ;)

« Reply #53 on: 21 February, 2010, 06:04:59 pm »

Also available in larger size ;)

Beware Nederlanders bearing cameras.

« Reply #54 on: 21 February, 2010, 08:59:06 pm »
and 2007:

So.
That's why you're called, "matt."

« Reply #55 on: 21 February, 2010, 09:17:30 pm »
You did wear your heart rate monitor in such a position that the officials didn't have to wake you up to check if you're still alive.  :thumbsup:

Martin

« Reply #56 on: 21 February, 2010, 09:22:01 pm »
I used a Moon Bag; a crap 80's invention; a cross between a £2.99 Argos value 0 season sleeping bag and a space blanket; not recommended. It is still in Loudeac.

I've since bought a SnugPak TravelPak Extreme which is excellent; only takes up about half the room in an SQR, you can use the other half for a self inflating mat.

« Reply #57 on: 21 February, 2010, 09:22:58 pm »
Note the security precautions in the top photo.
Note the security precautions for the family jewels in the second from bottom photo.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #58 on: 22 February, 2010, 09:56:41 am »

Regular spares; ... Kevlar replacement spoke, ... one of those ickle cassette removers that works by engaging with the dropouts.

Can you point me in the direction of these goodies?

« Reply #59 on: 22 February, 2010, 10:02:29 am »

Regular spares; ... Kevlar replacement spoke, ... one of those ickle cassette removers that works by engaging with the dropouts.

M-Gineering
the cassette remover is called 'the next best thing'.

simonp

« Reply #60 on: 22 February, 2010, 11:47:00 am »
Try SJSC for the Kevlar spokes. You can use one of those without a cassette tool.

Fiber Fix Emergency Replacement Spoke

« Reply #61 on: 22 February, 2010, 11:48:46 am »
Try SJSC for the Kevlar spokes. You can use one of those without a cassette tool.

How does that work in compression then? ;)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #62 on: 22 February, 2010, 01:34:45 pm »

How does that work in compression then? ;)

I'm sure Jobst will have the answer.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #63 on: 22 February, 2010, 05:26:24 pm »
Oh don't start that again.  The 'how do spoked wheels work' thread was the liveliest I've ever read.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #64 on: 22 February, 2010, 06:48:46 pm »

The cassette remover's been handled. I got the replacement spokes from the USA. It proved economical to buy ten - a false economy, of course, except I figured I'd give a few away. So if you live in the UK and you drop me a PM, I'll post you a couple.

« Reply #65 on: 22 February, 2010, 07:10:18 pm »
I've seen the Fiber Fix emergency spokes in Condor.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Really Ancien

« Reply #66 on: 22 February, 2010, 07:11:27 pm »

The cassette remover's been handled. I got the replacement spokes from the USA. It proved economical to buy ten - a false economy, of course, except I figured I'd give a few away. So if you live in the UK and you drop me a PM, I'll post you a couple.

Can you use them as dental floss? There's a potential weight-saving there.

Damon.

« Reply #67 on: 22 February, 2010, 08:49:37 pm »

Can you use them as dental floss? There's a potential weight-saving there.

Damon.
No but one can use dental floss as emergency spokes.

Why not just take a spare spoke ? And I don't think you need a cassette remover for those flexible spokes anyway, do you ?

« Reply #68 on: 22 February, 2010, 09:37:55 pm »
Why not just take a spare spoke ? And I don't think you need a cassette remover for those flexible spokes anyway, do you ?

Indeed, they have a hook at the hub end.

« Reply #69 on: 22 February, 2010, 10:04:37 pm »
better still, reliable wheels.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #70 on: 24 February, 2010, 03:07:24 pm »

Tip: I bought some through amazon (from the US) for for less than half the SJS price.

« Reply #71 on: 02 March, 2010, 02:37:28 am »
Indeed, they have a hook at the hub end.

Mine are long; the end passes through the hub hole and is tied around a frob at the rim end. I don't take a spare spoke because the Kevlar one is a much less awkward shape, has a very tiny spoke key in its little packet, and fits whichever bike I use it with (even if it is, for example, the bike of a riding companion). I carry a cassette remover because it's tiny (one of the very little frame reaction force ones) and I like having tools.

simonp

« Reply #72 on: 02 March, 2010, 02:27:44 pm »
Also you may need different spoke lengths front and rear and ds/non ds. Kevlar spoke is one size fits all. And there is no need to remove the cassette.