Author Topic: help needed  (Read 3924 times)

Re: help needed
« Reply #25 on: 12 March, 2010, 08:25:18 pm »
Slick tyres will help you go faster, but I'd wear out the knobblies first myself. Get your money's worth out of them. Plus they'll help you get fit. You'll really notice it if you swap to slicks then.

I did L2B with a lady from the house opposite ours. She wasn't a cyclist and wasn't fit, but wanted to do it as the BHF had special meaning for her. She did all our training rides on knobblies, then changed to slicks the day before L2B. She flew on the big ride  :thumbsup:

jelly legs

« Reply #26 on: 13 March, 2010, 02:38:42 pm »
ive been out and done an average of 10 miles a day for the last 3 days ive noticed my legs really ache and my back is aching so a rest day tomorrow.
the one thing that really concerns me is even after an hour im totally knackered and it feels like i couldnt manage another 10 mins on the bike. so how am i supposed to train myself to last 5 hrs plus in the next 12 weeks. maybe ive bitten off more than i can chew.
maybe should have started with a few 50k audaxes.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #27 on: 13 March, 2010, 02:48:42 pm »
Eat before you are hungry.
Drink before you are thirsty.
Adjust clothing early so you never get too hot/cold/wet/sweaty.
Rest for short periods before you are totally knackered.
Think ahead of any break you  may take so you don't waste time faffing.

Perhaps you are pushing yourself too hard. Ride at a pace geentle enough for you to feel you could keep going all day.

And night.

and day...

« Reply #28 on: 13 March, 2010, 02:52:09 pm »
ive been out and done an average of 10 miles a day for the last 3 days ive noticed my legs really ache and my back is aching so a rest day tomorrow.
the one thing that really concerns me is even after an hour im totally knackered and it feels like i couldnt manage another 10 mins on the bike. so how am i supposed to train myself to last 5 hrs plus in the next 12 weeks. maybe ive bitten off more than i can chew.
maybe should have started with a few 50k audaxes.

Average of 10 miles a day ? what was the longest ride ?

Next time out, do 11 miles. It'll take 5 minutes more. You'll surprise yourself. Gear down, it doesn't have to hurt while you are out there, don't believe that if it isn't hard it isn't doing you good.

« Reply #29 on: 13 March, 2010, 03:43:08 pm »
thanks teethgrinder. your house is probably bigger than our whole street.
how early is early?
but i would love to come on a ride sometime. if your gentle with me. im pretty new to the area too and not really sure of whats about and where to avoid ive noticed some dodgy looking areas including where i live.

0600 the earliest and I have to be at work in Crownhill at 0830.
I could show you some of the good Redway routes. Redways can be good for slow cycling.

« Reply #30 on: 13 March, 2010, 03:54:23 pm »
If out of nowhere you start doing 10miles/day for 3 days in a row it's no wonder it hurts. Like you said: you have 12 weeks to build up to 50 miles. Just keep exercising for 45-60mins 3-4 days per week and you'll be fine. Rest is important, don't push yourself now.
Your current speed is irrelevant, it will improve, but not in 3 days, especially not in a row, your body needs time to adjust and recover. In 3 weeks it will be a lot better and with the achieved improvement you can start extrapolating that for the next 9 weeks.
A short ride, maybe just 10-20 minutes at a real slow pace might be helpful for recovery now, try to focus on a high cadence. It is very annoying to ride like that at first, but tomorrow your legs will feel a lot better.

The trust in your own capabilities is important, so set a distance goal per week for one ride, and don't bother about them on the other days. Give yourself 1-2 days rest before that goal, and rest a day afterwards. In 3 weeks that only has to be about 15 miles. Another 3 weeks to 25, and yet another 3 weeks to 35-40, and then 3 weeks before the 50 miler.

Your goal in the first weeks should be modest. 10 miles in an hour without being knackered is a fine result in 3 weeks, so about then it's time to add half an hour, but again: take it easy.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #31 on: 13 March, 2010, 07:46:06 pm »
Nah you'll do it easily come the day, as long as you keep cycling regularly.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #32 on: 13 March, 2010, 07:50:36 pm »
To the OP, please keep appraising us of your progress. Why not create a blog, it's always fun to read it later.

« Reply #33 on: 13 March, 2010, 08:09:12 pm »
Agree with what everyone else has said about the gentle build up and that recovery time is when the body actually gets stronger. Without that you just break it.

Keeping a log/blog is also good - especially making notes about hills you found difficult and how you feel at the end of the ride. It can help to emphasise how quickly you really are building up fitness.

There is also an interesting mental thing that many riders are familiar with - when you get close to the end of your ride, you mentally prepare for the end and are pleased when it comes. At the end of a short ride with my son I feel that I really wouldn't want to go out and do another lap - yet I'll go and do many times that amount without thinking twice about it; I'm mentally ready for it. So feeling completely done in after 10 miles doesn't necessarily mean that you really couldn't go further, just that you were prepared to finish.

jelly legs

« Reply #34 on: 14 March, 2010, 02:55:50 pm »
just a quick update. i went to the shops last night on the bike and hit a big pot hole in the road went over the handle bars and broke my wrist :'(
so is there any activities i can do so i can still train to do the l2b the thing is i cant do any running as the impact on my knee joint from the old football injury is a no no.
i think someone upstairs hates me. >:(

« Reply #35 on: 14 March, 2010, 03:00:55 pm »
just a quick update. i went to the shops last night on the bike and hit a big pot hole in the road went over the handle bars and broke my wrist :'(
so is there any activities i can do so i can still train to do the l2b the thing is i cant do any running as the impact on my knee joint from the old football injury is a no no.
i think someone upstairs hates me. >:(

Oh dear, my commiserations. I am currently out of action due to a crash 10 days ago. Do you have access to an exercise bike and or swimming pool ? Swimming may be out if you have a plaster or dressing on your wrist but you may still be able to get a useful 30 minute work out on a stationary bike if you are careful.

jelly legs

« Reply #36 on: 14 March, 2010, 03:05:26 pm »
no i dont have a stationary bike. i cant afford one im poor. i thought maybe an hour or 2 of brisk walking just to get the cardio going apart from that i dont know.

« Reply #37 on: 14 March, 2010, 03:48:43 pm »
no i dont have a stationary bike. i cant afford one im poor. i thought maybe an hour or 2 of brisk walking just to get the cardio going apart from that i dont know.
Yes some brisk walking is better than doing nothing. I was thinking of a local leisure centre for the stationary bike BTW.

« Reply #38 on: 14 March, 2010, 03:50:26 pm »
I can get a static trainer to you for free if you like. You just put your bike on it and off ye-go.

Did you report the hole to fillthathole?

If not, click here and do it. :thumbsup:

If it's allready been reported, you might even be due some loot for your broken wrist and any damage to your bike. It must have been a biggy to send you over the bars.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #39 on: 14 March, 2010, 03:55:30 pm »
Oh dear! Hope your wrist heals well and soon!
Have you considered reporting that pothole?
The CTC's fillthathole site is pretty good Fill That Hole | FillThatHole.org.uk

You may wish to consider a claim for compensation against the local authority. The cycling organisations may be able to help you contact a lawyer to help you.

jelly legs

« Reply #40 on: 14 March, 2010, 03:57:54 pm »
is that a turbo tainer thingy.
if so that would be great thanks.  when would you be able to it?
in the light of day the pothole turns out to be a missing drain cover coming back from sainsburys to oldbrook so watch out for it.

« Reply #41 on: 14 March, 2010, 04:16:49 pm »
is that a turbo tainer thingy.
if so that would be great thanks.  when would you be able to it?
in the light of day the pothole turns out to be a missing drain cover coming back from sainsburys to oldbrook so watch out for it.

Yes, it's a turbo trainer.

I can get it to you tomorrow evening. PM me your address and what time is best for you. It'll have to be after 7pm (6 at a push, I'm not one for rushing if I don't have to 8) and I'm just coming out of a lurgy infection)

I'll have to hitch my trailer onto my crap bike. That is after I've cleared a path to the door of my bike room and taken out all the junk I'm storing in my trailer ::-)

jelly legs

« Reply #42 on: 14 March, 2010, 04:23:22 pm »
thanks teethgrinder only if its not too much trouble. i will pm you my address. im in anytime after 6 so whenever you want really. :thumbsup: