Author Topic: Plane tree pollen  (Read 3366 times)

Plane tree pollen
« on: 24 May, 2008, 08:42:07 pm »
I absolutely hate the stuff, and a large part of London is awash with it at present, whipped up by the wind. Even a short ride in some parts of SW London will give you an eyeful and a lungful.

Sorry to have to say this, but we need major quantities of rain for a few days to get rid of the vile stuff. It's everywhere right now.

Re: Plane tree pollen
« Reply #1 on: 24 May, 2008, 09:22:02 pm »
And when it does rain, it will gunk up your mech good and proper, guv.

I still love the plane trees though.

« Reply #2 on: 24 May, 2008, 09:39:29 pm »
I love them too, but they need to be spayed or neutered or something. Surely Agent Orange has come on a little in the last 40 years? 

Pete

« Reply #3 on: 24 May, 2008, 09:46:41 pm »
A bit drastic, I know, but all I can think of is get out of London!  The London Plane (Platanus X hispanica) tree is not particularly common elsewhere in Britain: it's just that they were planted in London in huge numbers in the 18th century and survive all the pollution far better than other species.  They are an immense asset to the city and it's unlucky that you are allergic and suffer.

Indeed, I believe it's not know what the life expectancy of a London Plane in London is, seeing as few of the original ones planted back then, have yet died!

« Reply #4 on: 24 May, 2008, 10:00:26 pm »
"Allergic" is a much abused term.

The pollen (or seeds or whatever they are) is irritating, probably because it is so abundant for a short period of the year, and it tends to get blown about easily. It stings the hell out of my eyes and gives me a bad and irrepressible cough when I inevitably breathe it in. But I think the problem is the sheer quantity of it rather than an allergy.

Eaton Square and environs are particularly bad tonight.

I do love green, tree-filled London though! The chemical solution was a jest... Lots of rain will sort it out. And it would be good if the council could hoover some of it up - there are piles of the stuff in drifts. 

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 24 May, 2008, 10:06:30 pm »
they don't make me cough or anything, but I find the scent totally repulsive, especially just after a shower of rain

Nearly as bad as rapeseed.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 25 May, 2008, 09:13:18 am »
There were some massive ones outside the council offices in Swindon, but the biggest, oldest ones were all cut down (and pulped FFS - they would have made good firewood) a few weeks ago.

Having said that, I think the 25-year old silver birch in our garden is going to have to go this winter; although the trunk is on our side of the fence, it grows at a peculiar angle and most of it is over our neighbour's garden, blocking all their light and (when it's blowing a gale) threatening their conservatory.  I'll plant another one.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7 on: 25 May, 2008, 09:48:52 am »
Yes, it's horrible stuff.  Yesterday was an eye and lungful of torture for me, as is every year this time.  One of the hazards of teaching in Hyde Park.  Oh, and like Sgt. I'm not allergic either, it's just the particles are painful.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.