Linked Events

• The Midhurst 600: 22 May, 2010 - 23 May, 2010

Author Topic: The Midhurst 600 22nd May 2010  (Read 8016 times)

Re: The Midhurst 600 22nd May 2010
« Reply #50 on: 26 May, 2010, 10:43:52 am »
I then cycled to Haslemere to catch a train to London - another 300 metres of climbing in just 12 km! Just what you don't need at the end of a 600.

Yes, while driving it I made a mental note to use Petersfield Station with its nice flat run if I ever decide to come to Midhurst by train.

Like to echo your point of it being a good route - nice mix of flat and hills, minimal busy main roads and enough garages, pubs and village shops to keep well stocked with fluids between controls (there were signs to an off-route Coop in Bishop's Cleeve on the rather barren Cirencester-Newent stage).
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

« Reply #51 on: 26 May, 2010, 07:16:00 pm »
Yes I walked almost the whole of Birdlip.

Me too.
Nothing like the bloke I saw on his fast road bike. His speed would have easily been in double figures as he powered over the top of the climb. He had plenty of breath left to bid me a cheery hello too. Not sure if he rode all the hill like that, but it was impressive!

I was heavily dehydrated all day yesterday and still felt bad in the evening.   My legs are very sore compared to previous rides, so I think the heat really took it out of me.

It was a hottie.
I made sure that I kept on eating and drinking plenty even if it meant stopping more than usual. It's still faster to stop now and then than to get in a bad state. I tried to keep my salt and other stuff intake going. Lots of water alone just doesn't cut it.
I still lost at least half a stone.

trixie

« Reply #52 on: 28 May, 2010, 08:03:52 pm »
Hello Fellow Riders!

Sorry I missed you at the Half Moon - arrived there at about 8.35 pm.  Felt a bit out of place, the twenty-somethings gave me sideways looks as I wheeled my bike in.  I too, found the last leg very hilly.  I struggled as my right knee had given up and I was left with left leg only.  I was quite pleased that the last 10 miles or so were on the straight!  I had a fantastic weekend and really enjoyed my first 600k. Looking forward to more!  The wonderful tan on my arms is fast disappearing - peeling to reveal baby pink. Must remember the suncream next time.  Hope to see some/all of you again -  for more adventures!