Author Topic: domestic lights  (Read 3630 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: domestic lights
« Reply #25 on: 22 May, 2010, 12:49:56 pm »
Maplins won't have it but if you have an olde fashioned village hardware/ironmongers near by they may well have it.

There's always that new-fangled Amazon who are selling fuse wire for £<3 with free shipping.
Support your local grumpy old bugger seelling tin baths my dear.

Don't feed the beast.

We go to an excellent ironmongers when we visiti David's Dad in Christchurch. There aren't any round here, though the Pound shops sometimes stock fuse wire.

« Reply #26 on: 22 May, 2010, 01:38:25 pm »

Nothing wrong with fuseboxes. I've been living in houses with fuseboxes for 47 some odd  years, and I haven't been killed once (as far as I can remember)

apart from trying to find replacement fuse wire.  Maplins have given up on it now.  Our £ shop does it every now and then but getting more infrequent.

As for the fuse box or modern replacement - I'll have a look next time I go round.

It's easy enough to rplace the wire fuse carrier with one that has an MCB in it as opposed to replacing the consumer unit. Screwfix do them...

for example  WYLEX 32A SP Type B Curve MCB - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Si

« Reply #27 on: 24 May, 2010, 02:10:22 pm »
Maplins won't have it but if you have an olde fashioned village hardware/ironmongers near by they may well have it.

There's always that new-fangled Amazon who are selling fuse wire for £<3 with free shipping.
Support your local grumpy old bugger seelling tin baths my dear.

Don't feed the beast.

My "local grumpy old bugger seelling tin baths " closed down and was taken over by a bike shop.  Wasn't sure how to feel about that! But then the bike shop shut and became either a pizza takeaway or a hairdressers - which is a good thing given the country's perilious shortage of such establishments (before this one opened we must have been down to at least five in our little bit of road - how awful is that!)

2_Flat_Erics

• 2 Flat Eric's
« Reply #28 on: 24 May, 2010, 04:03:53 pm »
I had a similar problem in my old flat with one of the bulbs in the living room blowing every week or so.

Luckily one of the neighbours was a spark so he had a look and found a dodgy connection in the light fitting itself. (on the neutral side I think). He said it is quite a common problem and just neaded a screw to be tightened.

Never had the problem again after that.
Never argue with an idot....
They just bring you down to their level
then win on experience.

2 Flat Erics You Tube Channel

« Reply #29 on: 24 May, 2010, 04:36:38 pm »
I have a similar problem. Advice gratefully received!
I have 4 wall mounted light fittings in the lounge, all wired to one switch near the door. For several years I had uplighters with 150 watt halogen tubes in, which worked fine but smudged the wall with heat/dust marks. They were on a dimmer and worked fine.

Replaced the fittings with uplighters with 40watt G4 capsules (might be GU10). These are on a switch rather than a dimmer. One of the four blows every few weeks. GuessI need to check the switch connections.

border-rider

« Reply #30 on: 24 May, 2010, 04:43:16 pm »
G4s are notorious for arcing, since the contact is made through the legs of the capsule in a fairly crude way.

GU10s should be OK in that respect.