Author Topic: Commuting Idea No. 1 - truck surfing  (Read 1621 times)

Commuting Idea No. 1 - truck surfing
« on: 28 May, 2010, 07:47:16 pm »
Today on my commute to work I noticed a long line of LGVs approaching me from behind.  I was in the service area on the A350 so I had a good metre to myself and they had a wide lane so there was no real danger / risk of us coming together. 

As the first truck neared me I put a bit of power into my pedalling and then noticed that when the wash of the truck hit me I surged forward.  I kept trying to do this for each subsequent truck.  I certainly could tell when I miss timed my effort too.

I liken it to catching a wave - you have to paddle hard just before the wave picks you up and then you can glide effortlessly.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Commuting Idea No. 1 - truck surfing
« Reply #1 on: 28 May, 2010, 07:53:02 pm »
When I did TT training on the now-defunct K37/10 I used to go out in the rush hour.  Once four artics passed me in succession and I was doing 29mph uphill.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 28 May, 2010, 08:16:05 pm »
I like doing that too.

I reckon the absolute best slingshot is from those flatbed type trucks with a sort of solid ramp affair at the back which sticks straight up. The air sort of curls around the back of it and scoops you along.

fuzzy

« Reply #3 on: 01 June, 2010, 08:46:50 pm »
I do it on the A4 and A4155 on the way in to work. The truck needs to be passing at a reasonable rate I have found.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: 02 June, 2010, 11:35:55 pm »
When I did TT training on the now-defunct K37/10 I used to go out in the rush hour.  Once four artics passed me in succession and I was doing 29mph uphill.

Rog. Are you supposed to hang on to the mudguards? Or did you get your sleeve caught?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5 on: 03 June, 2010, 10:27:04 am »
I once managed to draft a four-axle tipper down the Edgware Road from Cricklewood to Marylebone.  The driver either had a supernatural knowledge of the timing of the lights or was in telepathic communication with the traffic pixies, coz he didn't have to slow down once.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6 on: 03 June, 2010, 12:49:55 pm »
Trying to do this on the prom at Whitley Bay resulted in the first of many faceplants in my cycling 'career'.
I haz no skillz

« Reply #7 on: 03 June, 2010, 10:28:29 pm »
I'm sure that fixed would be quite different though.

« Reply #8 on: 07 June, 2010, 10:14:25 am »
When I cycled across Canada I naturally came across some of the very big trucks that they have there. Our conclusion was that three feet is ideal passing distance to pick up a slipstream and would occasionally come out a bit to pick up a bit of a lift up a hill.

When I was very much younger I was out riding with my brother on the A380 from Newton Abbot heading north when a convoy of four limousines came past us and we caught a bit of slipstream of them as well. Turn out one of the occupants was The Queen.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #9 on: 10 June, 2010, 05:43:11 pm »