Author Topic: 9th March - The Lasham Loop  (Read 3737 times)

Re: 9th March - The Lasham Loop
« Reply #25 on: 09 March, 2013, 09:34:06 pm »
Thanks to all who organised this but especially to Martin, Louise and Ann who took me under their collective wing as an Audax virgin. I really struck it lucky with my riding companions. :thumbsup:

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #26 on: 09 March, 2013, 10:08:06 pm »
Thanks Plodder ...it really is a superb route and a good work out for the legs! The catering was up to it's usual high standard and ensured that no weight loss would happen today!

I decided to get full value from the day, having already completed a 35k pre-amble before brekky at Mick's, so after a couple of cups of tea and a quick refuelling I headed back up to clanfield (couldn't resist a cheeky pint in the sun as the Rising Sun on the corner), across to Chalton, up to Ditcham park School and then the shorter climb out of South harting to Uppark, the same hill we stormed down on the way out in the morning. This time the mist was gone and the sun was out  :thumbsup:.  A quick top up of the bottle at Compton, a flapjack to be polite,  and it was an easy spin back to Pompey for a coffee on the Seafront soaking up the last rays of the day.  That made 207k for the day, and a psycological milestone in the prep for Wessex!

a cracking day on the bike in great company
appearing in a tea room near you

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #27 on: 10 March, 2013, 05:32:39 am »
An interesting route, quiet roads and excellent scenery  :thumbsup:

I swear that the moment I knew my out of time record was secure, a little piece of sunshine peeked through the grey and illuminated the road ahead up Hayden Lane.  ;D

Great to see folks again and well done Plodder.

H

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
« Reply #28 on: 10 March, 2013, 10:31:10 am »
Thanks Plodder , always a good curtain raiser to my season. :thumbsup:

« Reply #29 on: 10 March, 2013, 02:36:55 pm »
Thanks to all who organised this but especially to Martin, Louise and Ann who took me under their collective wing as an Audax virgin. I really struck it lucky with my riding companions. :thumbsup:
Gosh  :o You didn't appear to be an Audax virgin; you seemed to be an old pro (sorry, a young pro) that I hadn't met before. You couldn't have chosen more experienced audaxers to ride with - well done!
Thanks to Plodder and all his helpers, and to Phixie, for another lovely day out  :thumbsup:
PS - so grateful the ride was held Saturday instead of Sunday this year; it's FREEZING out there  ;D
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.

« Reply #30 on: 10 March, 2013, 06:48:45 pm »
Gosh  :o You didn't appear to be an Audax virgin; you seemed to be an old pro (sorry, a young pro) that I hadn't met before. You couldn't have chosen more experienced audaxers to ride with - well done!
Thanks to Plodder and all his helpers, and to Phixie, for another lovely day out  :thumbsup:
PS - so grateful the ride was held Saturday instead of Sunday this year; it's FREEZING out there  ;D

Hi LadyVet - thankyou, it was nice to meet you. I really enjoyed the experience and plan to repeat it very soon. Martin has me interested in the Grimpeurs du Sud series now!

« Reply #31 on: 11 March, 2013, 01:47:11 pm »
A big thank you to Plodder for putting on a superb event on Saturday.  There are some magnificent lanes on this ride, my favourite being the ascent through Hollycombe.

Having ridden this route or its predecessor many times I am at a loss to explain why it took me three attempts to get away from Liphook, despite the routesheet being spot on!

A very long queue at the cafe resulted in 'Team Romsey' decamping to the Medstead village shop for sandwiches and cake, which I found most satisfying, having been on the point of total jellyleggedness on the slight rise up to the village.

The return over the downs via all those quiet lanes was splendid, as was the sunlit ascent onto Old Winchester Hill, the view down into the valley over Whitewool Farm being a long-held favourite of mine.

I am pleased to report that after the Arrivee, the leg warmers came off and 'Team Romsey' took in many glorious lanes and views on our return to the banks of the River Test, taking a downland route via Chidden, Beacon Hill, and Lane End Down.
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

Mrs Blacksheep

« Reply #32 on: 11 March, 2013, 08:48:14 pm »
Hello

Great ride, excellent cafe at garden centre, fab hall to start and finish in.
Plus warm dry weather, and what a turn out of riders.

And thanks to the 'new boy', Martin, Ann, and others for waiting for me.

My vote for more hilly 100k events.

Bfn