Author Topic: What makes an Audax popular  (Read 9512 times)

Re: What makes an Audax popular
« Reply #50 on: 14 April, 2010, 12:53:41 pm »

As for long sections of main road, a little more planning could eliminate this.

..but..but...I like main road

The A40 bypass at Brecon is the best bit on the Brevet Cymru

It's not that it doesn't have it's place and I'm not so worried about the lage volume of A road on the BCM, but on the otherhand the drag along the A57 on Everyone Rides to Skeggy marred the last leg of the route a bit. I'm sure it could be improved on.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #51 on: 14 April, 2010, 12:57:28 pm »
I guess main road finishes help tired riders stay on route (everything's a compromise in route selection.)

However, hilly busy main roads are really depressing!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #52 on: 14 April, 2010, 01:09:35 pm »
As is usually pointed out, Welsh A-roads are not like English A-roads.

Good quality surface, much much quieter, mainly gentle gradients.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #53 on: 14 April, 2010, 07:49:49 pm »
Going back to the original question, I think there are a few factors that seem to make the difference:

1 - reputation of past events. I'm always interested when another riders sings the praises of an event I haven't tried. That's how I ended up making the Cotswold Corker a must-do on my calendar, despite living in London, and why I'm going to try the BCM this year, despite every report I've read suggesting that it is hell on wheels  :-\.  Similarly, certain organisers have personal reputations, both positive and negative.

2 - As someone else has mentioned, if the organiser has links with an active local club then the turn out seems to go up.

3 - A location and start time that fits well with railway timetables.  There's one event I love doing but I wish it would start just 15 minutes later so that I could take the first train out of London instead of driving to the start.  With events I don't already know that might put me off and I suspect may discourage others too.

4 - Weather on the day.

5 - Proximity to other similar events. Some areas have more events than others and so the turnout per event drops. If you live somewhere that holds only one 600 a year you'd better get your entry in early in a PBP year.

Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #54 on: 14 April, 2010, 11:18:03 pm »
What makes an audax ride attractive to me ? That's like asking what makes certain women attractive to me. ............................ easy navigation at night.

:o

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #55 on: 15 April, 2010, 12:23:50 am »
There is also the problem with a NEW route, no history, finding a slot in a congested Calendar.

My new Gospel Pass 200 (23 May) provides the opportunity to ride a Classic location without the snow.  I have thoroughly researched the event by riding my GP200 Perm but added some extra gems to provide 'Views to die for'.  Oh, that means climbing a lot (3000m/3AAA) to the high viewpoints!

So the route is not popular - YET.  And with a routesheet with instruction inter-distance and an outline map supplied and fairly quiet roads and absolutely spectacular scenery, I hope I have designed what in a few years time may be regarded as a Classic. Just need a few entries and then I may have some feedback to improve....a bit Catch 22. Just check out the info on the website and email me for a routesheet and info.  I have ridden just a lot of Audax events (nearly 40 last year and been at it since 1982) and tried to identify the sort of detail I like to ride with.  There is even a matching 100km ride and pre-ride accommodation in the Village Hall.

SteveP
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #56 on: 15 April, 2010, 06:44:27 am »

It's not that it doesn't have it's place and I'm not so worried about the lage volume of A road on the BCM, but on the otherhand the drag along the A57 on Everyone Rides to Skeggy marred the last leg of the route a bit. I'm sure it could be improved on.

Leave Lincoln after 18:00  there is then almost no traffic and you have the road to yourself.
 :thumbsup:
Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #57 on: 15 April, 2010, 08:25:16 am »

As for long sections of main road, a little more planning could eliminate this. I've done a few rides with an early info control and a long main road drag to the finish. A late info control would have been far more preferable.

I suppose eliminating the main road bits would make many rides over distance though. Routes are not mandatory so riders can choose for themselves. I'd rather have 30km of A168 or A61 for the last part of a 400km perm than having to navigate through lanes in the dark in the early hours of a morning when tired.

Busy main roads no, quiet main roads especially at night, yes, np.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #58 on: 15 April, 2010, 11:53:29 am »
Just check out the info on the website and email me for a routesheet and info. 
Suggestions for 3peaker and other orgs here:

if you've setup a website that you think is a good sales tool, it's worth putting a link on your YACF profile/signature (and similar for any other bits of the InterWeb that you frequent).

[no, I haven't done this, cos I know our webpage is out of date ... ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Androcles

• Cycling Weakly
« Reply #59 on: 16 April, 2010, 11:26:31 pm »

The tollbridge on the A57 is the only place to cross the Trent between Gainsborough and Newark.  The run-in through Ollerton and Mansfield Woodhouse is my least favourite part of the route.  It's a trade-off between easy navigation, possibly in the dark, and the A6075 being a bit of a racetrack
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream

« Reply #60 on: 17 April, 2010, 10:33:22 am »
I thought it was either being under 200km or having a reduced minimum speed that made an audax populaire.

IGMC.

« Reply #61 on: 21 April, 2010, 11:39:17 pm »
I'll ride anything that's on a Saturday, up to 200km, and a reasonable drive from home. With those criteria, even living in North Herts and so within range of quite an area, I can't be too choosy.

However, it's nice to see new countryside. The precise layout of the route sheet has never bothered me, but it helps to have an electronic one and a GPX for download.

Quiet roads and good controls, not too far apart, will bring me back - but I've never ridden one I wouldn't ride again if I got the chance.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #62 on: 03 August, 2010, 05:28:05 pm »

The tollbridge on the A57 is the only place to cross the Trent between Gainsborough and Newark. 
just to update: it isn't the only one now fledborough viaduct is open. it is a cycle path not a road, but it is hard pack so you can get down it on a roadbike ok. goes from lincoln through harby to fledborough.