Author Topic: PBP- Bag Drop(s)  (Read 7426 times)

Tinez

• a Surly man
PBP- Bag Drop(s)
« on: 04 January, 2011, 07:16:02 pm »

Is the only way to arrange for bag-drop(s) on PBP to do this as part of a more general travel package with a travel agent (sporting tours,baxters etc.)?

Sorry if this has already been covered but a quick search didn't uncover anything.

Re: PBP- Bag Drop(s)
« Reply #1 on: 04 January, 2011, 07:44:01 pm »
After reading the publicity brochure last year I was certainly under the impression that there was going to be 1 bag drop in Brest.  I'll be pretty p****d off if this turns out not to be the case as I've planned my accommodation around it.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #2 on: 04 January, 2011, 08:00:13 pm »
Freddie, sleep in a ditch like the rest of us  ;D
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #3 on: 04 January, 2011, 08:04:44 pm »
Freddie, sleep in a ditch like the rest of us  ;D

When I say "accommodation" I mean a Formula1 room - only one step up from a bus shelter I assure you.  ;)

Andy's right though.  Despite it being in the brochure, I can't see any mention of it on the website.  I'm worried now. ???
The sound of one pannier flapping

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: 04 January, 2011, 09:17:40 pm »
I'm worried now.

Don't be.  Last time I was with Baxters and the only thing I got out of the drop bag and used was wd40.  And maybe more PSP22
The drop bag isn't essential

istr that last time there was a YACF drop bag/support vehicle landrover, carrying Charlottes Union Jack etc

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #5 on: 04 January, 2011, 09:21:03 pm »
I am pretty sure that somewhere on the PBP website it says that bag drops will be available!
Chief cat entertainer.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #6 on: 04 January, 2011, 09:33:51 pm »
I am pretty sure that somewhere on the PBP website it says that bag drops will be available!

You ARE RIGHT!

I googled

site:www.paris-brest-paris bag drop

And it is on page 1 of the Plaquette!!!  Just to the left of the list of countries "bag drop service to some controls to be designated"

I'm sure you could ask on the French PBP site and see if there is any idea yet which controls are "designated"

The logicists of collecting, moving and storing 6,000 bags is pretty major

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #7 on: 04 January, 2011, 09:44:53 pm »

I'm sure you could ask on the French PBP site and see if there is any idea yet which controls are "designated"

You just need to ask  ;)

Bag drops
Chief cat entertainer.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #8 on: 04 January, 2011, 09:47:51 pm »
Last time I was with Baxters and the only thing I got out of the drop bag and used was wd40.  And maybe more PSP22
The drop bag isn't essential

drop bags are not essential, i agree (i only had an apple, can of coke and few oatbars in one, could have survived without them). but where on the bike does wd40 go? i had an impression that wd40 shouldn't be used on bikes..

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #9 on: 04 January, 2011, 09:58:28 pm »
where on the bike does wd40 go? i had an impression that wd40 shouldn't be used on bikes..

Look, if a THING isn't working it can be fixed with wd40 or gaffer tape

If the bit is not supposed to move but does then gaffer tape it
If the bit if supposed to move but doesn't then spray with wd40

I was having a bit of trouble with my fancy 10 speed campag gears after 3 days of Breton rain and mud so I wd40'd the rear mech.   There wasn't much improvement TBH but it made me feel better at the time

AndyH

« Reply #10 on: 04 January, 2011, 10:01:19 pm »
The logicists of collecting, moving and storing 6,000 bags is pretty major

Yes. I'd hate to spend an hour trying to find a bag

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #11 on: 04 January, 2011, 10:06:23 pm »
where on the bike does wd40 go? i had an impression that wd40 shouldn't be used on bikes..

Look, if a THING isn't working it can be fixed with wd40 or gaffer tape

If the bit is not supposed to move but does then gaffer tape it
If the bit if supposed to move but doesn't then spray with wd40

I was having a bit of trouble with my fancy 10 speed campag gears after 3 days of Breton rain and mud so I wd40'd the rear mech.   There wasn't much improvement TBH but it made me feel better at the time

During my national service I was told to salute everything in movement and paint the rest, I suppose that now I am a grown up cyclist I should WD40 every moving object and gaffer tape the rest!

:D

Actually I am also a fan of WD40, grey tape and zip ties!
Chief cat entertainer.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #12 on: 04 January, 2011, 10:34:03 pm »
gaffer tape and zip ties can be handy for certain emergency repairs. but i carry light chain oil for all the bits that need lubing (inner cables, derailleur pivot points and chain of course). i wouldn't spray wd40 on chain.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #13 on: 04 January, 2011, 11:09:18 pm »
just had a chat with mrs z as she is also planning to drive to pbp as a tourist-spectator-supporter. she wouldn't mind to take few small drop bags as long as there are no "stinky" stuff in them :D
not promising anything at this stage, it's way too early to organise as first we all need to qualify and a lot can change in six months.

« Reply #14 on: 04 January, 2011, 11:25:03 pm »
Bag drops! Whatever next?

« Reply #15 on: 05 January, 2011, 08:51:40 am »

You just need to ask  ;)

Bag drops

Thanks, that clears up that then. Wasn't a huge fan of them anyway.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

border-rider

« Reply #16 on: 05 January, 2011, 08:53:58 am »
Probably not a major loss.  i'm not sure I'd have trusted the logistics of the bag getting to the right place and me being able to find it amongst 5000 others

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #17 on: 05 January, 2011, 09:31:35 am »

ACP listened to you!
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #18 on: 05 January, 2011, 09:48:46 am »

ACP listened to you!

Blimey! Should I be worried about hate mail?

Andrew

« Reply #19 on: 05 January, 2011, 10:52:03 am »
Well that's the final straw! I ain't riding now!! **flounces off**  ;)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 05 January, 2011, 11:03:23 am »

You just need to ask  ;)

Bag drops
That forum seems to be in a foreign language - fortunately there was a picture of Panoramix to help me find his post :)
EDIT: I've just learned a new phrase phrancais:
... donc je ne paniquerais pas   !

I'm slightly disappointed by this; I was planning to use it for my spare luggage (i.e. clothes worn riding to/from event). I wasn't expecting to use it during the event, 'cos of the possible hour delay mentioned by AndyH (and in previous dicussions!). C'est la vie ... [gallic shrug smilie]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #21 on: 05 January, 2011, 12:22:36 pm »

However the Willesdon have usually had a drop for their club members and others do likewise.

AndyC

Indeed so, and now I know that there will be no "official" drop, I expect to be organising something for Willesden members. Currently trying to find out whether the local campsite will be open again in time...
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

« Reply #22 on: 03 May, 2011, 01:27:05 am »
but i carry light chain oil for all the bits that need lubing (inner cables, derailleur pivot points and chain of course). i wouldn't spray wd40 on chain.

For me it's "Skin so Soft", does all the above and makes your legs shine 8)