Author Topic: Battery powered front LED light  (Read 1300 times)

Battery powered front LED light
« on: 02 February, 2011, 04:37:11 pm »
I have apparently lost my 1/2 Watt Bspoke. RIP :(

I was thinking of replacing it with a 1W version, which would fit the old bracket, so then I'd have a spare bracket for use on another bike.

Is there anything better around this price for general commuting as a be-seen light? I already have a death ray for seeing with.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Battery powered front LED light
« Reply #1 on: 02 February, 2011, 04:42:46 pm »
For the clearance price of £13.35?  I rather doubt it!

« Reply #2 on: 02 February, 2011, 05:01:07 pm »
That was my conclusion - just wanted to check I wasn't missing anything!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 02 February, 2011, 05:50:28 pm »
Also consider the Smart Polaris 5-LED for a wider viewing angle (if I remember rightly) and a longer battery run-time.  It's slightly smaller and lighter as well.

Otherwise the 1W Bspoke makes a good upgrade from the 0.5W version.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #4 on: 05 February, 2011, 05:51:40 pm »
The 1W version arrived today - already impressed with it. It has two constant settings and the flash isn't a simple on/off sequence like the 0.5W version, but a super-flash like the rear version of the light. Flash, flash, flash, big-flash! Awesome!

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #5 on: 10 February, 2011, 01:14:33 am »
I've got the 2W version of that Smart light. It's good enough for dark lanes on full beam, and half beam or flashing is an excellent visibilty light, but it's not especially waterproof and more than once has needed an overnight stay on a radiator after a soaking.

Yes, it's a nice bright light, but I can't speak for waterproofing - mine hasn't been out in the rain yet.  What I don't like about it is it kills the Cateye Vectra wireless computer next to it when the light is on and no, I don't know why.  Grrr!
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.