Author Topic: Ordnance Survey Leisure  (Read 2175 times)

Ordnance Survey Leisure
« on: 31 March, 2011, 10:12:45 pm »
A comment elsewhere re Bikehike led to this site - **copied and pasted link not now working!** It appears new.  I've had a quick look around.  Seems to be easy to set up a route (similar to Memory Map, but more flexible).  But I haven't found how to export to Garmin yet!

If we can export routes, this would appear to make MemoryMap redundant for my purposes.

Edit - and also it did not seem to be interested in saving a route I created!

Re: Ordnance Survey Leisure
« Reply #1 on: 01 April, 2011, 10:02:14 am »
I've had a quick look at this. The link didn't work - I had to go via "GetaMap" from Ordnance Survey Leisure - Shop, Create & Share Routes, Magazine From the FAQ it appears as if exporting .gpx files is possible, with Garmin using Garmin Communicator but also for "any handheld device".

I haven't registered for it yet so haven't tried it, but I wonder whether it will turn out to be the case that you can export composed courses only as "Routes" and not as "Tracks"?

Whether this is an improvement on Memory Map I'm not yet sure. It would suffer the usual problems associated with on-line applications of slow speed if, like me, you have a poor broadband connection. But if you don't already have Memory Map or Anquet I can see that it could be very helpful.

Looks worth further investigation though.

Martin

« Reply #2 on: 02 April, 2011, 05:24:49 pm »
on the subject; is there defientely no Heath-Robinson way of getting the new OS Garmin maps to work on an etrex? how about any other OS products like Memory Map?

I'd like OS mapping, not just for cycling, for not having to have to carry OS maps around too, but probably not enough to lay out £199 for one; and certainly not enough to also have splurge out on an Oregon which is probably no good for Audax

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #3 on: 02 April, 2011, 07:03:08 pm »
Easy to get GPS-aware and free offline OS mapping onto a smartphone, so if and when you splurge out on one of those, that's the way to go.  Not much good for cycling but OK for walking, and/or browsing
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 11 April, 2011, 08:19:21 pm »
on the subject; is there defientely no Heath-Robinson way of getting the new OS Garmin maps to work on an etrex?

As I understand it, the OS mapping is raster - it's grids of pixels like a photo of your face. 

Garmin IMG format, which the Etrexes use, is vector - it's points and lines and rules for how to draw them.

The two are fundamentally different, so no, no dice.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 12 April, 2011, 10:03:56 am »
But most other current Garmin leisure models can do both vector and raster.  The Etrex line is relatively out of date and has not (yet?) had the makeover that, for example, the GPS60 has had (now 62, now can do OS maps).
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 12 April, 2011, 10:29:22 am »
True that.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.