Author Topic: A decisioin - finally!!! We're going to Windyland.  (Read 2191 times)

A decisioin - finally!!! We're going to Windyland.
« on: 17 June, 2011, 08:30:27 am »
After much procrastination and many changes in plan we're off to Windyland*for a couple of weeks cycle touring.   We'll do a bit of wild camping, hostelling and official campsite visiting along the way.   

We'll be taking it easy and hope to plod to a complete end-to-end.   Last time we never quite made it at either end.   Also last time we managed to contrive to miss meeting with the mysterious Windy.   I'm hoping that we can remedy that most serious of omissions on this outing.

We might also make it to Sandwell bay and Cape Wrath** depending upon how long we spend offshore  ;D

Right, now to research up-to-date locations of shops, pubs/hotels, hostels, camp sites, good wild camping spots, and or course, ferry timetables.  :) 

* More commonly referred to as the Western Isles or the Outer Hebrides.

** Idyllic wild camping locations  :thumbsup:

Clare

• Is in NZ
Re: A decisioin - finally!!! We're going to Windyland.
« Reply #1 on: 17 June, 2011, 09:09:41 am »
Right, now to research up-to-date locations of shops, pubs/hotels, hostels, camp sites, good wild camping spots, and or course, ferry timetables

The three wonderful Gatliff Hostels (used to be four but sadly Garenin is now closed) cover a few easy day rides from the north of Harris to South Uist (Rhenigidale to Howmore). Last time we were there the cost was £9 pppn or £1 pp to use the facilities during the day (cook a meal, have a shower etc).

Gatliff Hostels

Last time we were up there (2008) there was a very well stocked Co-op halfway down Uist, they  even stocked goat milk.

Cal-Mac used to do a rover ticket for cyclists, I think it was £53 pp for a week's ferry travel and that covered as many ferries as you wanted to use. We used them for Mallaig-Skye, Uig-Tarbet, Leverburg-Bernaray and Lochboisdale-Oban. We should have then added Oban-Craignure and Fishnish-Lochaline but instead spent a lazy day in Oban (don't, it's really not worth it) before getting the train to Fort William.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 17 June, 2011, 09:17:44 am »
*jealous*

One day, we'll get a chance to go touring up there.  I have a long-standing plan to visit Windy, for one thing, which predates the formation of this forum :-\

One day.

Hope you have a fantastic time, PB.  Looking forward to the reports already :)
Getting there...

« Reply #3 on: 17 June, 2011, 10:12:50 am »
I've just got back from Lewis/Harris where we spent a week in a friend's house. No biking I'm afraid, but we had an amazing time and are determined to go back.
We saw loads of cyclists and I admit to being jealous (some of the time). It can be windy though, plenty of gritted expressions out on the moors.

If you want scenery, I'd recommend the south Lochs region. Don't even bother with north Lewis, it's grim, even by car.
The two blackhouse museum sites are well worth the trip.

I'll link up some pics in the next day or so.

GlasgowDave

• Inside I'm smiling
    • Flickr Audax Group
« Reply #4 on: 17 June, 2011, 01:21:06 pm »
Have a look at this write up, and let me know if you've any questions.

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=20772.0

Dave
it takes a special talent to miss out on the Midnight Madness by sleeping in...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 17 June, 2011, 01:44:47 pm »
It can be windy though, plenty of gritted expressions out on the moors.

No need to pull your punches, you should tell it like it really is, rather than dressing it up in chocolate box terms!  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #6 on: 17 June, 2011, 08:18:41 pm »
Thanks for all the replies and links.  :thumbsup:

I'm really looking forward to returning, and to making sure I get to meet Windy this time.   Oh, I'm also looking forward to revisiting the Callanais black house and stone circle.    8)

PH

« Reply #7 on: 17 June, 2011, 09:50:19 pm »

The three wonderful Gatliff Hostels (used to be four but sadly Garenin is now closed) cover a few easy day rides from the north of Harris to South Uist (Rhenigidale to Howmore). Last time we were there the cost was £9 pppn or £1 pp to use the facilities during the day (cook a meal, have a shower etc).

+1 with bells on.
I camped at three last year (£6 a night) and thought they were fantastic, not just the buildings and the locations but also just the whole ethos.  The one in Berneray is just perfect.
The only disadvantage of routes is there's a lot of doubling back, there's not alway a circular option.  West from Callanish is a gorgeous bit of rolling road taking you to some fantastic deserted beaches with plenty of ideal camping spots, but after 25 miles there's no choice but to turn round and ride back.
If you haven't already, I found a bit of research into the history of the Isles leads to a better appreciation of why they are as they are, I read up when I got back and wish I done it before.
Worth knowing should you need it, many of the buses will take bikes, they don't seem to advertise it or have aqny special facilities, I think the driver just finds room if he can.
A few photos of our trip; John and Paul's Outer Hebrides tour 2010

« Reply #8 on: 17 June, 2011, 10:01:46 pm »
Berneray was gorgeous, I've still got some shells from the beach on my bookshelves.

The ride out to Huisinis is worth it as well, though it's a dead end.

I camped there in May 2000 and it was beautiful.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

PH

« Reply #9 on: 17 June, 2011, 10:15:55 pm »

The ride out to Huisinis is worth it as well, though it's a dead end.

Now I need to go back!!
We had to choose between that and Rhenigidale  and the idea of a hot shower in a Gatliff Hostel won the day.

« Reply #10 on: 17 June, 2011, 11:33:08 pm »
We might also make it to Sandwell bay and Cape Wrath** depending upon how long we spend offshore  ;D

** Idyllic wild camping locations  :thumbsup:

Made me chuckle, camping in Sandwood Bay I could understand but Sandwell might be somewhat wilder ;D
"Only the cyclist knows why the dog rides with its head out the window"

« Reply #11 on: 18 June, 2011, 11:10:46 am »
Oops!   :-[   ;D

« Reply #12 on: 18 June, 2011, 05:03:08 pm »
The best prospective beach camping location we found was Luskentyre Beach. Just a fabulous location and public toilets at the car park.
The Footprint  "Scotland Highlands and Islands Handbook" was excellent. Well worth taking along or for research beforehand.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #13 on: 18 June, 2011, 05:20:40 pm »
Uig sands is also excellent beach camping (especially if you can get a pitch hidden away in the dunes) - the Kneep campsite isn't far away either.

The Gatliff hostels are brilliant - I've camped and bunked at them all.  Rhenigidale can feel like you've arrived at the end of the known world - the walk over to it is very nice (the bike ride over to it is also nice, but the hill is quite a climb!).

If there's one thing you should try and do though when you're there - and it doesn't involve a bike - try and book to go to St Kilda if you can.  It's a bit of a trek, and costs a fair chunk - but it really is the most magical spot in the Western Isles (and, as you know, there's a lot of magical spots there).

I've been twice - once to cycle solo top to bottom and once driving and camping with the other half.  We're constantly trying to plan when to go back again.  There are few places on earth I could visit time and time again without fear of boredom.

Ever so jealous.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!