Author Topic: Eels and their disappearance.  (Read 1422 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Eels and their disappearance.
« on: 14 June, 2011, 05:34:28 pm »
FT.com / FT Magazine - UK’s disappearing eels

I've known of the decline in eel numbers for some time, but the above is a very interesting article about the topic.

I used to catch eels 30 or 40 years ago and very nutritious they were. Haven't seen one for years though.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Re: Eels and their disappearance.
« Reply #1 on: 14 June, 2011, 08:11:18 pm »
They're all in my hovercraft.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 14 June, 2011, 08:24:08 pm »
FT.com / FT Magazine - UK’s disappearing eels

I've known of the decline in eel numbers for some time, but the above is a very interesting article about the topic.

I used to catch eels 30 or 40 years ago and very nutritious they were. Haven't seen one for years though.
So you ate them all, you bastard!  ;)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2011, 09:05:29 pm »
Last time I saw one was on the end of my fishing line off the east coast of Yorkshire a couple of years ago.  It was a freshwater eel - or at least certainly not a conger -  but I caught it in the sea.  It went back, as I thought it was a bit small for eating, and unlikely to have spawned.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2011, 09:10:29 pm »
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2011, 09:32:29 pm »
Hotel in Ely still does Ely pie each week which contain.........er....Eel
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #6 on: 28 June, 2011, 11:30:23 am »
We used to catch a few when I was in my fishing phase in the late 70s/early 80s. Bit of a nuisance really, compared to the wild brown trout we were after. Our cat had a couple, the rest were thrown back in before they wrapped themselves up in a slimy mess.

I remember one early summer/late spring evening after school when the river was teeming with elvers swimming upstream - a spectacular natural phenomenon. Everywhere you looked was packed solid with the creatures, a bunch of us walked up the river for a couple of miles in amazement. I doubt it's like that these days.

« Reply #7 on: 28 June, 2011, 12:07:16 pm »
Eels have been a part of my life for many years, probably as a result of having grown up in Gloucestershire.  I used to fish for them in the Severn, usually at night using lobworms harvested from our lawn.  Very tasty indeed.  The last time I caught eels was probably about five years ago, when I cooked two fish of about a pound apiece that I'd caught in a particularly deep hole in the Severn.  There was also a time when I was fishing on the Thames opposite Hampton Court Palace; a slight twitch of the rod tip indicated that something was up; when the culprit surfaced, it turned out to be a sports sock.  I unhooked it (carefully, as I was not proposing to eat the sock and was going to return it to its natural habitat) and then found that a small eel had taken up residence in the sock.  It suddenly struck me that this fine creature had navigated its way across a vast ocean and battled up tidal Thames, somehow clearing the lock at Teddington only to settle down in a flippin' sock...

I also remember meeting the chaps out on the river in springtime between Tewkesbury and Gloucester (the beautiful meadows at Deerhurst, near the Saxon church and Odda's chapel, were a particular hotspot for elvering) who used to earn vast sums in a very short space of time when the elvers were running.  I never saw them at work, just set up, waiting and playing cards with each other as the sun went down.  Some of them were quite happy to chat about the old days, when the elvers were so plentiful that there was often a surplus, and the leftovers would be put in hessian sacks, tied to the handlebars of a bike and pedalled all the way to Bristol where they'd be sold to a glue factory for not very much at all.

Is it true that eel blood is poisonous unless (a) it has been cooked) or (b) you are a hedgehog?  And is there really a drink that you can buy in pubs in Lydney called Fart, which in cider with ginger and is usually drunk with a pint of live elvers?  I may be misremembering...