Author Topic: We're winning (getting the masses cycling)  (Read 5691 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: We're winning (getting the masses cycling)
« Reply #25 on: 19 October, 2011, 10:38:52 pm »
In real life, that junctions is nothing like that photo, perhaps it's the wide angle lens.

I know what you mean. I often cross that junction north to south* and the pic is slightly deceptive - makes it seem a bit wider and more open than it is. It's still an encouraging sight though, andyg's caveats notwithstanding.

d.

*for the benefit of those who don't know the junction, the mass of cyclists are travelling west to east.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #26 on: 20 October, 2011, 12:43:17 am »
Nice encouraging photo. At first glance I thought it was India. Until I spotted the yellow lines, the grey folder, the Brompton, all those derailleurs, pavements you could probably walk on without risking a broken leg, and the total lack of tuktuks and helmetless ladies in saris coolly riding sidesaddle on the motorbikes - can't possibly be India!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27 on: 20 October, 2011, 10:38:29 am »
Tuktuks > autos, or ricks if you want to sound cool.

Also the lack of wrong-side traffic, street vendors, dogs, children...

About the yellow lines - I can't think of any other country which has such complicated or bold road markings for parking restrictions as the UK! Why?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #28 on: 20 October, 2011, 01:44:59 pm »
Tuktuks > autos, or ricks if you want to sound cool.

Also the lack of wrong-side traffic, street vendors, dogs, children...

About the yellow lines - I can't think of any other country which has such complicated or bold road markings for parking restrictions as the UK! Why?

Probably done as an excuse remover I'd have thought, what with there being a 'war on the law abiding motorist' and all.

« Reply #29 on: 20 October, 2011, 08:57:51 pm »
The USA don't have yellow lines on the edges of the roads, but in parts of it they paint the kerbs. Don't park next to a red-painted kerb, as you are likely to be towed away!

« Reply #30 on: 21 October, 2011, 10:02:22 pm »

IMG_8795 by i b i k e l o n d o n, on Flickr

#winning

23 people on 2 wheels (including motorbikes) travelling in one direction seem to be taking up as much road space as 4 cars coming the other way. So even if those cars were full, the 2 wheelers are using the roadspace more efficiently. I doubt that 23 cars would get through one green phase of the traffic lights, but 23 2 wheelers get through very easily.
Cycling is definitely winning. :thumbsup:

As an aside. With my recent visit to the hospital for surgery on my arse. I'm sure glad that I cycle and don't drive. I can't sit down until the wounds have healed, which will take some weeks. I couldn't drive a car, as I'd need to sit, but I can cycle standing up, so am mobile, even if a bit restricted.
Cycling FTW. :D