Author Topic: iPhone Data and Battery Monitoring  (Read 742 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
iPhone Data and Battery Monitoring
« on: 11 October, 2011, 09:54:03 am »
My new iPhone 4 seems to be consuming data and battery life at an amazing rate!

One 10 minute call has taken the charge from 100% to 90%

Also it's using data at an amazing rate, I arrived in Canada yesterday and have received 2 texts from O2 notifying me about what I've used. I've downloaded some emails but apart from that little else so think an app may be doing something in the background.

The two events may be connected....

Anyone know of an app that can monitor what apps are accessing the Internet and how much they use?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: iPhone Data and Battery Monitoring
« Reply #1 on: 11 October, 2011, 10:06:20 am »
You can turn data roaming off and rely on Wi-Fi, which would be more sensible if you don't have good data package abroad.

Battery tends to be milked by the following (amongst others)

3G on - switch it off unless absolutely necessary
Weak signal - can't do much about that, except move the phone to a higher signal area
Bright screen - turn it down a bit and have auto brightness on
Some energy hungry app still in the background. GPS style apps are notorious for this. Go into the Multitasking mode and kill all the Apps running (you have to do this one by one)
It is simpler than it looks.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #2 on: 11 October, 2011, 10:23:49 am »
Some energy hungry app still in the background. GPS style apps are notorious for this. Go into the Multitasking mode and kill all the Apps running (you have to do this one by one)

Yes, check the location icon (a little compass needle pointing NW) in the top right corner isn't on. Most apps that use it will release it when they go to the background but sometimes this doesn't work. Then you have kill off the likely suspects one by one.

PaulF

« Reply #3 on: 11 October, 2011, 11:48:18 am »

Dumb question but how do I go into the Multitasking mode?

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #4 on: 11 October, 2011, 11:53:26 am »

Dumb question but how do I go into the Multitasking mode?

Double-press the home button, and the screen should move up to display "running" apps. Press and hold on the running apps to make them go wobbly, then press the delete icon to kill them.
a great mind thinks alike

PaulF

« Reply #5 on: 11 October, 2011, 12:05:30 pm »
Thanks - didn't realise I could kill apps from there, I just used it as a 'recent apps' list