Author Topic: VPN from Dubai  (Read 1627 times)

VPN from Dubai
« on: 18 December, 2011, 05:21:35 pm »
Daughter working in Dubai for  a  looong  time (years)  would  like  a VPN connection  to a UK isp....for obvious  reasons

I have  been looking  through the  options, First  possibility is  Open vpn accesing  my  home  network/isp. I'm on (good) ADSL so I think upload  speeds would  be  limited to 300-400K.
I do trust  her  too!

Had  a  browse  round  the net  and  think I understand the  principles - I would need  a  server  ported  through my router firewall. I was thinking  of  trying it  out  using a  junk PC and if  it  proved  popular then getting  a  Sheeva plug  or  similar (I can think of  other useful things  to  do with  that)....Like  vpn into my  home  network?

Can anyone fill in more  detail and  likely  pitfalls, plus security  issues. The  other  option would be  a commercial hosting  service has  anyone  tried  these?

Any  linky's to good  ijjut's setup guides would also be appreciated.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
Re: VPN from Dubai
« Reply #1 on: 18 December, 2011, 06:33:48 pm »
Just another option to look into. The Synology NAS devices will now run a VPN compatible with open VPN. Will (obviously) also give you network attached storage, and many other functions (eg automated backups.)

I haven't tried the VPN yet, but other functions I'm using work very well.

« Reply #2 on: 19 December, 2011, 11:17:25 am »
'Fraid I already have a  NAS drive, I'm planning to get OpenVPNworking locally between two windows machines and then transferring that knowledge. Still looking for a good 'how to' guide

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3 on: 19 December, 2011, 12:09:06 pm »
How about looking at someone like giganews (from $9.99/mth) who offer a VPN service into europe?

If it is specifically UK (i.e. wants iPlayer) then I am sure there will be one that can do that.  Someone like VPNGates maybe able to help, or maybe asking on the local ex=pats forum will provide some useful answers?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Jakob

« Reply #4 on: 19 December, 2011, 07:22:34 pm »
I use strongvpn. It's $15/month and is at the more expensive end of VPN services, but it's reliable and offers multiple servers to choose from.