Author Topic: Slow Cooker Recipes  (Read 1475 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Slow Cooker Recipes
« on: 01 January, 2012, 09:42:34 pm »
Got ourselves a Betty C Slow Cooker. Anyone got any good recipes to try out?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Julian

• samoture
Re: Slow Cooker Recipes
« Reply #1 on: 01 January, 2012, 09:52:47 pm »
Shred a red cabbage, finely slice two onions and one large cooking apple or two eating apples, put the lot in the slow cooker with 2 tbsp brown sugar, 2 tbsp cider vinegar* and a can of cider* and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours. 

(Can substitute 2 tbsp red wine vinegar and a good slug of red wine)

« Reply #2 on: 01 January, 2012, 09:57:50 pm »
Assuming you are not a veggie  :) how about a slow cooked beef stew?

Buy shin of beef from a butchers. cut it into chunks, and put it into a container with olive oil, garlic and worcester sauce. Let it marinade in the fridge for a few hours.

Chop an onion, and gently fry till golden. Tip the onion into the slow cooker.  Brwon the beef in the same pan as the onions and add to the slow cooker. Add herbs and spices to taste - maybe herbes de provence mix or maybe some paprika and a beef stock cube, or some beef stock from a plastic pouch. Add a tin of butter beans or other beans. Waitrose do a lovely bean mix in a pack - can't remember the name, but it is in a cardboard box with a plastic pouch =  maybe Merchant Gourmet brand.
Add lots more Worcester sauce. Let it cook for ages.

I don't have a slow cooker - I do this recipe in the oven and let it cook for two hours at least.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #3 on: 01 January, 2012, 10:55:32 pm »
Thanks!
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #4 on: 05 January, 2012, 10:19:14 am »
Shred a red cabbage, finely slice two onions and one large cooking apple or two eating apples, put the lot in the slow cooker with 2 tbsp brown sugar, 2 tbsp cider vinegar* and a can of cider* and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours. 

(Can substitute 2 tbsp red wine vinegar and a good slug of red wine)

This is very similar to what I make. I sometimes add meat; meat balls made from re-purposed Cumberland Sausage are good, but I recently tried chorizo with great success. I season it with lots of cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg. With or without meat, it's the best thing I've found to do with red cabbage.

« Reply #5 on: 08 January, 2012, 07:34:13 pm »
Waitrose do a lovely bean mix in a pack - can't remember the name, but it is in a cardboard box with a plastic pouch =  maybe Merchant Gourmet brand.
Epicure Creative Cooks 6 bean mix, according to my cupboard, though I do remember there being a choice.
In my case, stewed up with chorizo etc as an imitation cassoulet.

« Reply #6 on: 09 January, 2012, 11:47:05 pm »
The Old Stylers on moneysavingexpert have an index of all things slow.

« Reply #7 on: 10 January, 2012, 10:41:00 pm »
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche