Author Topic: Unlucky losses by the roadside.  (Read 9283 times)

Re: Unlucky losses by the roadside.
« Reply #50 on: 14 July, 2008, 09:59:13 pm »
An audax routesheet 2km from the start.
Abnormal for Norfolk

border-rider

« Reply #51 on: 14 July, 2008, 10:05:12 pm »
My bottom-bracket dynamo while doing a solo training ride (against the clock).  (I didn't have a road bike, so was using my commuter/tourer.)  I felt a bump, as though I'd hit a pothole that I hadn't seen, and thought nothing more of it.

Then later that day, and many miles away, I noticed that the dynamo had gone.

Ooh yes- thanks for reminding me

The innards of an AXA bottle dynamo on the Maldon Madness 500 in 2000

I switched it off after the night section, then when I came to put the bike back in the car at the end, all that was there was the shell

bobajobrob

« Reply #52 on: 14 July, 2008, 10:09:06 pm »
I can't remember losing anything, but I kicked off a pannier containing my laptop which cartwheeled down the road, and survived :thumbsup: Thinkpads ftw.

I also had my route sheet holder positioned so that it unclipped my Smart 1W LED onto the road 3 times before I realised what was happening. Each time the batteries popped out, but it survived.

Somehow I knocked my frame mounted HPX pump off and it got ran over by a car :(

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #53 on: 14 July, 2008, 10:51:13 pm »
I guess I had a lucky loss a couple of years ago. I realised I'd lost my gilet from my back pocket on the Tayside Transgression audax.
Luckily, a couple out walking had seen it lying in the road, and had passed it to another rider - Cyclops of this parish - who kindly washed it and posted it on to me.  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #54 on: 14 July, 2008, 11:32:13 pm »
Its a bit mad really when you can rive right through Europe without getting out your passport once but try to get in or out of the UK ...

Perhaps this is because Britain bought their EU membership card in 1973 but has decided not to join the team: we havn't managed to complete the transition to decimalisation, started 40 years ago, and we have yet to fill in and sign our Euro currency and Shengen zone application forms. Nor have we even started to put miniature kph numbers on speed limit signs (like there are dual mph and kph on cars' speedometers); this should have been slowly rolled out on new speed limit signs over the last 40 years to save changing them all in one go.

A certain Prime Minister abolished the Metrication Board soon after she took office as she wanted to kill QANGOs. We are still living with the result.

LindaG

« Reply #55 on: 14 July, 2008, 11:37:21 pm »
I lost a tenner out of my jersey pocket yesterday.

I went to a cashpoint to replace it, and put the tenner in the seatpack.

I lost a tenner out of the seatpack yesterday when I got the spare inner tube out.

::-) :'(

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #56 on: 15 July, 2008, 10:30:56 pm »
I lost a tenner out of my jersey pocket yesterday.

I went to a cashpoint to replace it, and put the tenner in the seatpack.

I lost a tenner out of the seatpack yesterday when I got the spare inner tube out.

::-) :'(

Err - what roads did you ride on??  ;)
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #57 on: 16 July, 2008, 07:19:17 am »
An audax routesheet 2km from the start.

Why doesn't that surprise me?    :P ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #58 on: 16 July, 2008, 09:57:34 am »
I've lost a couple of lights and some reflective ankle bands.  About 3 weeks ago I lost the starting receipt for a DIY audax.  I noticed at the next control, and thought I'd have to do extra miles at the end to get up to distance without it.  Fortunately, the route later in the day went along the same road and I spotted the routesheet in the hedge.  5 minutes of scrabbling around in the undergrowth and I found my receipt.  :D

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #59 on: 16 July, 2008, 10:54:18 am »
Someone in Suffolk has lost two vibrators by the roadside.

Charlotte, Andrij and I noticed them while we were riding the Asparagus & Strawberries at the weekend, and were speculating on how they came to be there.  They were about two miles apart.  I had visions of someone driving along and chucking sex toys out of the window as they went.  ;D

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #60 on: 16 July, 2008, 10:57:07 am »

Charlotte, Andrij and I noticed them while we were riding the Asparagus & Strawberries at the weekend, and were speculating on how they came to be there.  They were about two miles apart.  I had visions of someone driving along and chucking sex toys out of the window as they went.  ;D

Shouldn't this be in the Lucky finds by the road thread?  ;)
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #61 on: 16 July, 2008, 11:27:32 am »

Shouldn't this be in the Lucky finds by the road thread?  ;)

Only if they were retrieved by the lucky finder....  :sick:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #62 on: 16 July, 2008, 11:50:14 am »
Perhaps they were trying out Jurek's patented bananana strapping method, and failed?
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #63 on: 16 July, 2008, 01:45:31 pm »
At least the previous owner was practicing safer sex - one of them was contained inna condom.

I'm very glad that we weren't riding with Hummers; that's the sort of thing that he'd pick up and carry as a trophy...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #64 on: 16 July, 2008, 01:49:26 pm »
I'm very glad that we weren't riding with Hummers; that's the sort of thing that he'd pick up and carry as a trophy...

:sick:

And I always assumed he'd bought the thong new...
Abnormal for Norfolk

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #65 on: 16 July, 2008, 01:53:44 pm »
I never asked.  Mainly because I didn't want to know the answer...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #66 on: 16 July, 2008, 10:26:47 pm »
a computer which fell off in the office car park and went under the wheels of a fiat punto. once lost a mars bar from my back pocket on a club run.
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir