Author Topic: Audaxer spotted  (Read 3408 times)

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
Audaxer spotted
« on: 25 March, 2012, 04:39:54 pm »
Was out with the family today driving near Clanfield - Hampshire when I spotted someone riding a trike sporting a Brevet Cymru shirt. In an attempt to show recognition I waved as I passed but this might have gone un-noticed - or perhaps interpreted as crazy motorist behaviour. I'm feeling the need for an audax UK or YACF car sticker!

Anyone else spotted an audaxer this weekend?
Owner of a languishing Langster

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Re: Audaxer spotted
« Reply #1 on: 25 March, 2012, 04:54:42 pm »
No, but on Wednesday I think I was spotted.

I was riding into the setting sun along the A454 between Wolverhampton and Bridgnorth, when I heard a 'peep-peep' from car behind me, which then gave me the widest berth as it passed me. I think the driver waved as well. At first I though he must have mistaken me for someone else, but a more likely explanation was that he'd recognised my PBP gilet.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2 on: 25 March, 2012, 05:13:23 pm »
I mentioned before how I would often see what I assumed were audaxers on the A40 anywhere between Carmarthen and Brecon and how I would love a Yacf bumper sticker.
I now travel by train.  I doubt there'd be much point in putting a sticker on the back of that.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #3 on: 25 March, 2012, 05:18:50 pm »
I spotted someone grimping up a hill, on a bike with panniers, in a PBP top today as we travelled through Dorset.

H

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 25 March, 2012, 05:47:05 pm »
68 of them yesterday as I logged them in at the start then shut up shop and joined the last pack.  We did it in 3 packs, 100 km and 740 metres total climb.  67 of them made it, one with a very hefty helping hand.  Great day.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5 on: 25 March, 2012, 07:34:54 pm »
the trike rider was plodder of this parish i guess, which means he was out twice this weekend havind done 40miles with me yesterday :thumbsup:

Plodder

• More of a lurker than a poster!
« Reply #6 on: 25 March, 2012, 08:44:42 pm »
Dave,

Sorry not to have noticed you!

You'd be welcome to have a go on said trike on Wednesday if you can make to the farewell at the Fox and Hounds. If you dare...

Plodder

PS Yes, Postie, after yesterday's enjoyable ride I couldn't resist getting out again.
The Portsmouth Wednesday Night Pub Ride Group - "a drinking club with a cycling problem".

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #7 on: 25 March, 2012, 10:13:39 pm »
A trike also spotted yesterday between Bradford on Avon and Chippenham, somewhere near Atworth. Somehow the rider looked familiar, although I didn't recognise the jersey.
Mojo is being awakened.

Chris S

« Reply #8 on: 25 March, 2012, 10:58:55 pm »
We should all ride with a YACF mudguard sticker that also has a QR Code to the member's allocated webspace, or preferred online presence.

Just a template that can be printed onto labels, or other substrate should do.

« Reply #9 on: 26 March, 2012, 08:14:53 am »
Brilliant idea.
"No, I'm not photographing your lycra clad arse, I'm scanning your QR code"  ;D

Euan Uzami

« Reply #10 on: 26 March, 2012, 08:17:37 am »
Could you not also write an app to get your phone to automatically post on twitter the fact that you've just passed them.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
« Reply #11 on: 26 March, 2012, 11:11:16 am »
Dave,

You'd be welcome to have a go on said trike on Wednesday if you can make to the farewell at the Fox and Hounds. If you dare...

Plodder

PS Yes, Postie, after yesterday's enjoyable ride I couldn't resist getting out again.

And sorry I didn't recognise you without your Hants Pol jersey on ;)  Didn't realise you now had a trike  - looks ace.

I'll try and get to the pub after my cubs duties finish at 8.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #12 on: 26 March, 2012, 01:43:18 pm »
Dave,

Plodder

And sorry I didn't recognise you without your Hants Pol jersey on ;)  Didn't realise you now had a trike  - looks ace.

I suspect we will be there for some time...

H

urban_biker

« Reply #13 on: 26 March, 2012, 04:27:34 pm »
Dave,

Plodder

I suspect we will be there for some time...

H

Well someone needs to finish off the beer. Although I hear that the planning permission isn't through yet and there is a growing Denmead protest movement against the closure. So we shall see.

If you want to object you can do so here:
http://planningapplications.winchester.gov.uk/PlanningWeb/MakeRepresentation.aspx?wid=00052%2f30

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #14 on: 26 March, 2012, 07:18:35 pm »
Two yacf jerseys on a tandem, Gotherington, Saturday. Can't be many of those about - was it you?
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

Chris S

« Reply #15 on: 26 March, 2012, 07:22:45 pm »
Two yacf jerseys on a tandem, Gotherington, Saturday. Can't be many of those about - was it you?

Damn! Spotted executing the Larrington Manoeuvre on the Dean 300 audax  :-[.

Yup - that would have been m'self, being stoked by the Always Lovely fboab. You may have noticed a rather strange noise. It was the rear hub getting ready to self destruct  :(.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #16 on: 27 March, 2012, 07:43:55 pm »
Well I never - small world! I'm training my wife up for her first audax - this was the return from her first climb of Cleeve Hill.

Can't describe how much fun cycling is when you don't try too hard (working at wife-pace for the lkast few weeks) rather than pushing at my own self imposed normal speed.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #17 on: 27 March, 2012, 08:00:05 pm »
Well I never - small world! I'm training my wife up for her first audax - this was the return from her first climb of Cleeve Hill.

Can't describe how much fun cycling is when you don't try too hard (working at wife-pace for the lkast few weeks) rather than pushing at my own self imposed normal speed.

Was that from the Winchcombe side, or from the Prestbury/Southam side?

Chris S

« Reply #18 on: 27 March, 2012, 09:00:20 pm »

Ah - the other hill we were avoiding; the other other hill being Winchcombe.

Did I say "Hello"? I usually do - but we may have been a little... um... "focussed" at the time ;)

Audaxwebby

• Chippenham wheelers
« Reply #19 on: 27 March, 2012, 09:49:33 pm »
AUDAX UK STICKERS IS A GREAT IDEA
Well LEL done now ready for PBP

« Reply #20 on: 27 March, 2012, 11:34:50 pm »
why did i read this thread, then google proximity apps and then think how many audaxers carry, iphone/blackberry/android, then mash with googlemaps, ending up with a realtime location display of audaxers with local notification on your smartphone of when two audaxers get close.... maybe i'm a geek

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: 28 March, 2012, 07:26:47 am »
Secret Audaxers Salute: based on miming 'Brooks, Mudguards and Saddlebag' ;D

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #22 on: 28 March, 2012, 07:59:47 am »
does that involve pointing at one's ar$e 3 times? :)