Author Topic: Left - Right  (Read 911 times)

SteveS

• What's over the next hill?
Left - Right
« on: 18 March, 2012, 04:39:50 pm »
As I'm still new to the area I now live in, I thought I'd have a game of Left - Right this afternoon. Left out of my house then 1st Right, next Left, next Right etc to see where I ended up. The answer was Chepstow, via a few lanes I'd never been along before. The rules are simple, just ignore any road that is marked No Entry or No Through Road and if you do end up in a cul de sac, just come back out and pretend it never happened. It can get a bit tricky in town, you can end up riding miles around housing estates or you can just choose roads that are signposted to somewhere until you get out into the countryside again.
Have a go, you might be suprised where it takes you.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Left - Right
« Reply #1 on: 18 March, 2012, 06:08:08 pm »
Have a go, you might be suprised where it takes you.

Up every hill in the area, IME.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 18 March, 2012, 06:43:42 pm »
Going round and round in giddy zig-zags!

It does sound fun, but I think it's best left till you're out of town. I might give it a go tomorrow.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #3 on: 18 March, 2012, 06:44:36 pm »
A landfill site, or ignoring that turning as it is an unmarked dead end, the council offices car park (also an unmarked dead end). Or I could try right out of the house but I live in a close so that's a dead end, so I could do left, left but that's also part of the close and a dead end.
L-R-R-L-R-L-R = Tesco's car park.
L-R-R-R-L-R = another dead end.

???

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 18 March, 2012, 06:46:43 pm »
My preferred method would be to properly randomise it by tossing a coin or something to pick a direction at each turn.  Still leads you up every hill in the area, of course, but in a different order each time.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5 on: 18 March, 2012, 07:01:15 pm »
Each time I work it out I end up at Braystones Beach
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #6 on: 18 March, 2012, 07:25:32 pm »
I hit main roads every time.
A43, A6 or A509, all are no fun to cycle on but handy for getting from A to B quick.
A bit further out it gets even worse, the A45 or A14, they are just death traps to cycle on ..........  :hand:

« Reply #7 on: 18 March, 2012, 07:44:13 pm »
Living centrally in a medium sized town I find myself zig-zagging through rows of late 1800@s  teraced housing occasionally doing a deth swoop across a busy main road. 

Interesting concept though  :)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8 on: 18 March, 2012, 07:53:05 pm »
I'm just working it out and if we allow going through bike-only gaps, I'd go out the front of my house, take a loop out for about half a mile then end up going past the back of my house!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.