Author Topic: The Voice - BBC's X-Factor  (Read 1407 times)

LEE

The Voice - BBC's X-Factor
« on: 29 April, 2012, 01:10:25 pm »
Congratulations to the BBC on producing such a consistently terrible train-wreck of a TV show.

90 minutes of uninterrupted wailing and screaming, inane and unintelligible "rap-speak" from the judges ("man, you are sick and dope and bananas and apples and grapefruit.." , or some such drivel from Will.he.is) and awful cover-versions. 

It really needs a "Cowell " character to bring some honesty to the proceedings. 

Jazz Ellington is a real talent but they did their best to hide even that.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: The Voice - BBC's X-Factor
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2012, 01:25:02 pm »
It's a copy of an American show, apparently.

This sort of stuff is what's needed to keep the BBC, we're told.  People won't pay the license fee if they get only high-quality programmes.  So we should be grateful!  :)

●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #2 on: 29 April, 2012, 01:31:11 pm »
About 7 million people disagree with you.

They have managed to find one great singer though judging by last night. The girl who sang "Get here if you can" was amazing. 
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

LEE

« Reply #3 on: 29 April, 2012, 03:45:34 pm »

Do they? 

You mean that about 7 million people watched it, and that's quite different.

About 7 million people will always watch whatever is on BBC1 in that time slot.

AndyK

« Reply #4 on: 29 April, 2012, 04:53:25 pm »
Having seen both, The Voice is a magnitude or two better than the X-Factor. Mainly because it starts out with good singers, instead of the freak-show audition process. I'm not keen on the format but the performers have been excellent. Particularly Jaz Ellington.

« Reply #5 on: 29 April, 2012, 05:02:17 pm »
so far I think most of the singers are ok, but the question is do we really need another program like this ?

« Reply #6 on: 29 April, 2012, 05:06:16 pm »
so far I think most of the singers are ok, but the question is do we really need another program like this ?
A question you could aim at about 90% of TV output ... formulaic for the people.

« Reply #7 on: 29 April, 2012, 08:41:19 pm »
In US it's...  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Voice_%28U.S.%29

Seen it a bit - as the miniaos watch it... The idea of listening to the 'voice' first and judging on this is good.   But after this gets a bit tedious...  e.g. when the celebs choose bewtween two of their own team members in the sing-off round,  listening to the other judges saying 'I wouldn't like to choose between them'  for the millionth time...   This sing-off format also meant that on one occasion they had a man & woman duet against a solo contestant at the same time  - bit strange.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #8 on: 29 April, 2012, 09:34:32 pm »

They have managed to find one great singer though judging by last night. The girl who sang "Get here if you can" was amazing.

Ruth was brilliant, as well as Mr Ellington.

« Reply #9 on: 29 April, 2012, 10:14:00 pm »
Ruth was brilliant, as well as Mr Ellington.

Yes, very good.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

The Voice - BBC's X-Factor
« Reply #10 on: 29 April, 2012, 10:14:30 pm »
I have watched it - until tonight when they all came out singing in the very beginning. That's it for me - no more

« Reply #11 on: 30 April, 2012, 01:26:31 pm »

It really needs a "Cowell " character to bring some honesty to the proceedings. 

:facepalm:
Move Faster and Bake Things

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #12 on: 30 April, 2012, 05:58:00 pm »
Having seen both, The Voice is a magnitude or two better than the X-Factor. Mainly because it starts out with good singers, instead of the freak-show audition process. I'm not keen on the format but the performers have been excellent. Particularly Jaz Ellington.

The freak show audition process is the only good thing about The X Factor! And that was better when it was just in front of the judges rather than a proper audience.

I can't see that there's any real difference between The Voice and any other telly singing contest - just because they massively overstate the supposed points of difference, that doesn't make it true. Jaz Ellington is a proper good singer though.

My wife and son were enjoying it at first but they seem to be losing interest now, so maybe I'll be spared having to sit through it with them much longer. But if they persist in watching it, I shall have to retire to a local hostelry on Saturday evenings for the forseeable future.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."